If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 13, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #17,972 of 19,246
I left my Er2's in a draw for a few days, pulled them out for a session just now and low and behold they're cutting out again, until i force the connectors violently back together.

Going back for another set. At least I shall have lots of spare tips whenever i manage to get a working set.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #17,973 of 19,246
I'm a long-term Etymotic ER-4s user, having first purchased these in 1998. They've been my primary IEM since then. I don't use them as much for listening as I use to, for various reasons - none having to do with a dissatisfaction with the sound. But I will add that for overall noise reduction around the house, they can't be beaten.

On a whim yesterday, I purchased an ER4-SR and just got it tonight. Now maybe these transducers need to burn in a bit...but I have to admit that I am not enjoying these so far and, after a little A/B between these and my now vintage ER-4S, preferring the sound of the latter. They seem slightly more mellow.

For one thing, I prefer the higher impendence of the older model. I am actually able to run those on a Schitt Vahalla 1 - which is the same amp I use on my 600-ohm Beyerdynamics! These new ER4-SRs really get loud very quickly when driven by anything except a portable of one sort or another. Even using the ancient HRT Microstreamer dac/amp that I have connected to my laptop, I have to keep the volume at virtually the lowest possible setting to keep the sound from blowing out my eardrums.

And while the metal housing is impressive (I wrote Etymotic many years ago suggesting this sort of construction quality!), I'm finding the cable on the new unit both underwhelming and a bit flimsy (especially in the segment where the cord connects to the housing). I learned to live with the microphonics of the older style cable decades ago. The upper segment of this cable seems not likely to take the wear and tear as well as the cable on the vintage unit.

I'm actually thinking of just sending these back to Amazon and instead looking for spare parts for my vintage ER-4s, just in case I run into problems with it. Has anyone else owned both and come away a bit underwhelmed?
https://penonaudio.com/3.5mm-impedance-adapter.html that's why they make impedance adapters

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #17,974 of 19,246
I'm a long-term Etymotic ER-4s user, having first purchased these in 1998. They've been my primary IEM since then. I don't use them as much for listening as I use to, for various reasons - none having to do with a dissatisfaction with the sound. But I will add that for overall noise reduction around the house, they can't be beaten.

On a whim yesterday, I purchased an ER4-SR and just got it tonight. Now maybe these transducers need to burn in a bit...but I have to admit that I am not enjoying these so far and, after a little A/B between these and my now vintage ER-4S, preferring the sound of the latter. They seem slightly more mellow.

For one thing, I prefer the higher impendence of the older model. I am actually able to run those on a Schitt Vahalla 1 - which is the same amp I use on my 600-ohm Beyerdynamics! These new ER4-SRs really get loud very quickly when driven by anything except a portable of one sort or another. Even using the ancient HRT Microstreamer dac/amp that I have connected to my laptop, I have to keep the volume at virtually the lowest possible setting to keep the sound from blowing out my eardrums.

And while the metal housing is impressive (I wrote Etymotic many years ago suggesting this sort of construction quality!), I'm finding the cable on the new unit both underwhelming and a bit flimsy (especially in the segment where the cord connects to the housing). I learned to live with the microphonics of the older style cable decades ago. The upper segment of this cable seems not likely to take the wear and tear as well as the cable on the vintage unit.

I'm actually thinking of just sending these back to Amazon and instead looking for spare parts for my vintage ER-4s, just in case I run into problems with it. Has anyone else owned both and come away a bit underwhelmed?
That's too bad you're not enjoying the SR's. I wonder if they changed the impedance on these - I have a pair of 4SR's from a few years ago, and I really like the fact that they aren't as sensitive as other IEM's that I have. With my Andromedas, I can barely turn the volume up without the music being way too loud. The 4SR's have much more range, almost like my HD 600's (using a Valhalla 2).

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #17,977 of 19,246
Using the ER4XR with the Cayin RU6 in a loud cafe... Outside nice almost fully drowned out and the sound quality is phenomenal. I think the slight bass elevation helps in this context too.

And I've finally switched from silicone tips to foam but think I need slightly smaller foamies than the stock ones for best comfort. Any recommendations?

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #17,978 of 19,246
Using the ER4XR with the Cayin RU6 in a loud cafe... Outside nice almost fully drowned out and the sound quality is phenomenal. I think the slight bass elevation helps in this context too.

And I've finally switched from silicone tips to foam but think I need slightly smaller foamies than the stock ones for best comfort. Any recommendations?
yeah get the etymotic beige foams. theyre much smaller, but still isolate well and are very comfortable. they can be hard to find though

Jul 16, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #17,980 of 19,246

I grabbed a few small foam tips on Ali for my Er2's. Search for t100 to t-100. They're a copy of the comply tx-100 without the wax guard and about .50c a set. They haven't arrived as yet so cannot comment on anything other than perceived utility and the fact they're 1/40th the price.

Jul 16, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #17,981 of 19,246
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #17,983 of 19,246
Has anyone invested in custom tips for their ER4?

I got some from ACS in the UK many years ago for my ER4P and they still serve me well and are easy to clean. Thing is there do not seem to be as many places that do them anymore, but the isolation and comfort is sublime, and "new" models (XR and SR) work with them as well.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else ever got some for theirs...?

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #17,984 of 19,246
IMG20220716191014.jpg

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #17,985 of 19,246
I have a set that I had made decades ago. Unfortunately, they had a tendency to break the plastic tips of the older model ER-4s. And while they worked great at home, less the same degree of isolation that I get from the triple flange, they looked profoundly dorky when on the street or subway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back