If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #17,941 of 19,243
I did some highly unscientific testing with a tone generator and the Er2xr and it has the lowest detectable response of any IEM i currently have, having something perceptible happening in my ear going down to about 9hz. Around double what the Timeless gets down to.
Sub bass is alway's a strong point for IEM's, The ER4SR still has more bass than any open back DD headphone like the HD600.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #17,942 of 19,243

Thanks, that's good to know the Comply's are an option.

I have had that experience on Ali. I wrote a negative review on a bike part i bought and it completely disappeared.

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #17,945 of 19,243
Do they last ok? I read the Ety foam tips don't last that long.

If you have a narrow ear canal, and you twist them after they are in your ear enough times, the foam will detach from the center tube thing.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #17,948 of 19,243
That's not encouraging. So you can use them for a short time and then they die for a while before you can use them again? When did you buy them?
I've had them since May 2019 so I have had a good run with them but I had assumed they would last a lot longer due to Etys notoriously lasting years and years.

I have swapped out the cable from stock to ER4 cable to 3rd party cable and the issue still happens so I'm pretty sure it's not the cable.

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #17,949 of 19,243
I've had them since May 2019 so I have had a good run with them but I had assumed they would last a lot longer due to Etys notoriously lasting years and years.

I have swapped out the cable from stock to ER4 cable to 3rd party cable and the issue still happens so I'm pretty sure it's not the cable.
Have you tried changing the filters? It could be caused by a blocked filter. I had the same problem and changing the filters fixed it.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #17,950 of 19,243

I agree now. It's the connectors.

Mine are going back again for replacement and the retailer has said they will confirm the new ones don't have the issue before sending them out.

Jul 4, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #17,951 of 19,243
Thank you! will order it later on the day :)
What did you do? I suspect I'll end up doing the same but i'll let you know if i achieve any acceptable results.
Hmmm... let's just say the became such a mess I could no longer call them eartips anymore :D My cutting tool of choice wasn't that sharp either.

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #17,952 of 19,243
I agree now. It's the connectors.

Mine are going back again for replacement and the retailer has said they will confirm the new ones don't have the issue before sending them out.
You're lucky your retailer allows something like this. I asked mine and he said tampering with the package before it reaches me won't be possible so I'll probably be forced to run the bad QC gauntlet if I were to decide to buy them again. Anyway, I'm happy for you and hope you get a good working set.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #17,953 of 19,243
You're lucky your retailer allows something like this. I asked mine and he said tampering with the package before it reaches me won't be possible so I'll probably be forced to run the bad QC gauntlet if I were to decide to buy them again. Anyway, I'm happy for you and hope you get a good working set.

That's a shame. Yes i'm lucky to be in a small rich country with strong consumer protection laws and where people often go out of their way to be of service in situations like this. Usually we pay comparatively high prices as a result but that wasn't the case this time.

Likewise i hope you get a good working set next time and don't have to do the QC dance for much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back