If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #17,986 of 19,246
I have a set that I had made decades ago. Unfortunately, they had a tendency to break the plastic tips of the older model ER-4s. And while they worked great at home, less the same degree of isolation that I get from the triple flange, they looked profoundly dorky when on the street or subway.
I am not fully sure when I got them but I believe it was around 2009 and have only ever used my ER4P with them (after a brief initial stint with the triple flanges). No issues yet, and I remove them after every use for a wash...

I look dorky without them (😅) but if I can enjoy my music on London's deafening Underground without any volume increase, then that is good enough for me. Better that with high quality music than join the sheeple with AirPods to look trendy... Or tbh, pretty much any other IEM! 😉

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #17,987 of 19,246
While I am here (and I appreciate this is heresy in this thread... 😅) but has anyone upgraded from the ER4 (mine are the early "P" variant), and if so, what did you settle on?

Jul 19, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #17,988 of 19,246
Hello guys, the cable on my ER4-SR is beginning to split apart
I am looking for a replacement cable which is less prone to tangling, and which also has less microphonics

any suggestions?

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #17,990 of 19,246
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #17,992 of 19,246
yeah get the etymotic beige foams. theyre much smaller, but still isolate well and are very comfortable. they can be hard to find though
Ah... So the beige set up haven't worked out for me. Too small and don't isolate well enough for me - (see the image below. It turns out beiges are only 9mm diameter, whereas the medium/stock foams are 13mm and large 14mm??! Who came up with that size distribution?... Surely something around the 11-12mm range would make more sense for medium?)

So I've ended up joining the wild goose chase for perfect foam tips.

(As far as silicone goes, the ety duals and triples sound great to me, and isolate well. I've used them for years. But they make my ears itchy. I'm much older now and need more comfort 😂)

I've just bought a multi-pack of Comply P series. Looking at the measurements small (10.9mm) could do the trick, or even medium (12.7mm) if they are softer than ety stock. Will report back.

Here's a useful image I found on my journey so far

Etymotic-GunSport-PRO-1.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #17,993 of 19,246
Ah... So the beige set up haven't worked out for me. Too small and don't isolate well enough for me - (see the image below. It turns out beiges are only 9mm diameter, whereas the medium/stock foams are 13mm and large 14mm??! Who came up with that size distribution?... Surely something around the 11-12mm range would make more sense for medium?)

(As far as silicone goes, the ety duals and triples sound great to me, and isolate well. I've used them for years. But they make my ears itchy. I'm much older now and need more comfort 😂)

I've just bought a multi-pack of Comply P series. Looking at the measurements small (10.9mm) could do the trick, or even medium (12.7mm) if they are softer than ety stock. Will report back.

Too bad they didnt work out. Good luck with the others. With Etymotics, I really like the Ety style foams more than the Complys so I've tried all of them. And I have to say I'm a little skeptical of those numbers. The yellow foams are HUGE. Looking at the numbers they seem slightly bigger, but they are much bigger. I couldnt come close to wearing them. (That said, about the Complys, I dont think Ive used the P series, just took a look and they look good! And I have used the Comply Sport with another IEM, they are excellent.)

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #17,994 of 19,246

Like in the ear canal itchy? I get that from these.

I've been using the double flange mediums and smalls as i think i actually hurt my ear canal with the triples. Sometimes i think lube wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to use.

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #17,995 of 19,246
Like in the ear canal itchy? I get that from these.

I've been using the double flange mediums and smalls as i think i actually hurt my ear canal with the triples. Sometimes i think lube wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to use.

I considered the same but luckily I've found that I don't get itchy with foams, or at least, I haven't yet.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #17,996 of 19,246
First impressions:

Comply P Series - Small and Medium

Vs

Etymotic Foams - Small and Medium

Comply small is slightly wider than Ety small. This is a good thing for me as I found Ety small to be too small and lost a lot of sound isolation.

Comply Medium is fractionally narrower than Ety Medium. Again a good thing. Less pressure on the ear but just as good isolation.

20220723_135432.jpg

All tips roughly same length yet I managed slightly deeper insertion with Comply because they roll smaller than Ety when being prepared for insertion and they take longer to expand.

20220723_135354.jpg

Comparisons while on ER4XR.

20220723_135700.jpg

20220723_135830.jpg

Comfort - Comply foam is softer and smoother feeling than Ety which create more friction in my ear canal.

Sound

Not much difference between the mediums of both brands. Both sound great.

Comply Small fit well but I think a little bit if pressure is needed to preserve the bass response.

I'll give comply small and mediums more time to really judge comfort but what I can safely say is I won't be go going back to Ety foams.

Attachments

• 20220723_135830.jpg
    20220723_135830.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #17,997 of 19,246
@Knee Deep In Epoxy

Nice writeup!

One note:
>Comfort - Comply foam is softer and smoother feeling

This is precisely why I prefer the Etymotics. It sounds like you're OK with the Complys, so it's not an issue for you. But FWIW, the COMPLY SmartCore Sport Pro seem more 'sticky', like the Etymotics. I personally like that about them as compared to the other Complys I've tried. So if that sounds appealing to you, you may want to look into those as well.

Edit: I want to add that I tried them on another IEM with a thicker stem. So as for the sizing for the Etymotics, at least the ones I got would be too wide. Not sure if they are modifiable, or if they make the same model with a narrower opening.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #18,000 of 19,246

I see the etymotic small triflange looks more intrusive than 3rd party made.. and also most 3rd party comes with wider bore, I wonder wider bore on triflange also affect sq besides of size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back