If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 19, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #17,882 of 19,256
So today is the day that I planned ahead for but still sad that it has arrived.

It's the day my ER3XR from 2018 finally died. I planned ahead for it by picking up both the ER2XR and the ER4XR over the past year.

But I'm still reluctant to let go without a fight...

The driver housing of my ER3 came loose and would sometimes separate and expose the wires and driver when I removed it from my ear. Today it happened and detached/broke the green wire.

I've never soldered anything in my life, but I assume a quick solder job would potentially revive it?

Has anyone here had any experience bringing an Ety back to life and is able to share any guidance/tips?

Would I have to remove existing solder before reattaching the wire or would simply re-soldering on top of the left over ruins work?

Also any suggestions on how to secure the driver housing after the wire repair would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #17,883 of 19,256
I bought more tips to try with the ES4SR. Someone ... someone ... someone STOP ME!!!
1655797540819.png

Current top contenders, for my ears:
1655797727864.png

From left to right: Westone (Star, largest, with shortened stem), Sony (M), Azla (Elastex, SM), Future Sonics (Earfills, M, with shortened stem).

I got a crazy deep fit with one of the hearing aid tips I posted photos of earlier, but wearing them for a few hours left my ears sore for days.

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #17,884 of 19,256
My spending so much time, energy, and money OCDing on the perfect tip for the ES4SR is all the crazier that my ES4SR is malfunctioning. I was testing microphones a couple of days ago, and so I'd turned off the AC, and as a result, near the end of the hours-long testing, the volume of the right earpiece dropped again to near inaudibility (it hadn't happened since last time I mentioned it, but then I'd had the AC on very nearly all the time). I put the ES4SR in my microphone box (which has a dehumidifier), and they're fine now, but yeah, being oversensitive to humidity is quite a problem for a professional IEM when you have to wear it in a place with high levels of humidity. :sob:

(I guess crying didn't help with the humidity problem.)

Jun 21, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #17,885 of 19,256
My spending so much time, energy, and money OCDing on the perfect tip for the ES4SR is all the crazier that my ES4SR is malfunctioning. I was testing microphones a couple of days ago, and so I'd turned off the AC, and as a result, near the end of the hours-long testing, the volume of the right earpiece dropped again to near inaudibility (it hadn't happened since last time I mentioned it, but then I'd had the AC on very nearly all the time). I put the ES4SR in my microphone box (which has a dehumidifier), and they're fine now, but yeah, being oversensitive to humidity is quite a problem for a professional IEM when you have to wear it in a place with high levels of humidity. :sob:

(I guess crying didn't help with the humidity problem.)

I have lived in a place with extremely high summer humidity for 2 decades and this has never happened with Etymotics. The earpiece is broken. Just contact the company and try to get them to fix or replace it, end of story.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #17,886 of 19,256
I have lived in a place with extremely high summer humidity for 2 decades and this has never happened with Etymotics. The earpiece is broken. Just contact the company and try to get them to fix or replace it, end of story.

It appears it won't be so easy. They "are not supposed to do warranties for international" and told me to ask their European distributor. I'm French, yes, but I've been living in Taiwan since before the pandemic, and I ordered from Amazon.com, and the ER4SR was shipped from the U.S.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #17,887 of 19,256
It appears it won't be so easy. They "are not supposed to do warranties for international" and told me to ask their European distributor. I'm French, yes, but I've been living in Taiwan since before the pandemic, and I ordered from Amazon.com, and the ER4SR was shipped from the U.S.

Etymotic customer service is not what it was. In any case it's definitely not normal behavior for the ER4 and should get it fixed or replaced one way or another.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #17,888 of 19,256
Lucid doesn't do repairs like Etymotic used to, unfortunately, but if you're under warranty their regional supplier ought to be able to provide you with a new replacement unit. You'll need both channels replaced as the ER4 has unit channel matching spec...

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #17,889 of 19,256
Etymotic customer service is not what it was. In any case it's definitely not normal behavior for the ER4 and should get it fixed or replaced one way or another.

KS Distribution did answer me (and not just by telling me that they only cover Europe):

"Thanks for contacting us; we're currently in touch with Lucid/Etymotic regarding this issue, to find out the best way of helping you."

So there's a chance that things will get straightened out, but really, I was an idiot for not sending the ER4SR back to Amazon when the problem first occurred, as it was within month-of-return window. I just ... hate to be a bother. I hate to come out as difficult or whiny. So I decided to wait until the end of the month-of-return window to see if the problem would happen again. Which it didn't then, but I had the AC on all the time, since I wasn't recording or testing microphones.

Lucid doesn't do repairs like Etymotic used to, unfortunately, but if you're under warranty their regional supplier ought to be able to provide you with a new replacement unit. You'll need both channels replaced as the ER4 has unit channel matching spec...

Oh. Right.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #17,890 of 19,256
So today is the day that I planned ahead for but still sad that it has arrived.

It's the day my ER3XR from 2018 finally died. I planned ahead for it by picking up both the ER2XR and the ER4XR over the past year.

But I'm still reluctant to let go without a fight...

The driver housing of my ER3 came loose and would sometimes separate and expose the wires and driver when I removed it from my ear. Today it happened and detached/broke the green wire.

I've never soldered anything in my life, but I assume a quick solder job would potentially revive it?

Has anyone here had any experience bringing an Ety back to life and is able to share any guidance/tips?

Would I have to remove existing solder before reattaching the wire or would simply re-soldering on top of the left over ruins work?

Also any suggestions on how to secure the driver housing after the wire repair would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
that's sad bc I have heard about the old ones lasting for decades

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #17,893 of 19,256
Comparing the old (left) and new (right) large triple flange on the ER2SE. Subjectively they sound exactly the same. And the new triple flange has a softer material making it easier for deep insertion. It's a good improvement. Good job @EtyDave

Attachments

• 20220620_134350_HDR.jpg
    20220620_134350_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #17,894 of 19,256
How about shallow fit with etys?

The base of my old re-272 big dual-flanges are exact fit for the bigger pipe end on the grey ety foamies...

Those mobile photos are just bad...
The results are tonally better to my ears with the SRs.

update: success shallow fit achieved after a little cutting off that pipe sound opened to a new level this is it shallow fit and tonally close to (tri-flanges deep in)
BUT the music its all outside head not inside as with tri-flanges... (maybe orange filters are worth looking into)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #17,895 of 19,256
Is it possible to remove that mmcx part and pull it off the driver anyone tried it? Does it come off on the er4?

mmcx.jpg

pep11 cable connector does not fit with that part there its in the way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back