If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #17,911 of 19,246
Thanks. That's both disappointing and relieving to know. Did you find it was the cable then? I'm 99% sure it's the cable/male connector joint but i wonder if it the female connector is playing a part in the issue. I have one mmcx cable that fits in the Er2 housing, will try and test it more to confirm.

@EtyDave @etymoticofficial Can you guys shed any light?

unfortunately I only had them for about a day before the retailer sent someone to pick them up so I couldn't really investigate the issue as deeply as I'd have liked.

All I can tell you is the audio on the right side started to cut out every time I shook my head a little, completely going dead after a few minutes. Wiggling the connector or pressing the female port on the IEM and the cable connector head together with the tips of my fingers fixed it for a couple minutes before the problem recurred. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable didn't fix it and I avoided messing with the female MMCX port since they were going back anyway and I didn't want to make it worse. Had no other cables that fit the ER2 on hand so couldn't try a cable swap either.

The whole thing was quite frustrating and saddening as I'd read through nearly every audio forum like this looking for issues people might've had with their ER2 only finally pulling the trigger once I was satisfied there weren't that many; good QC was and is my top priority and the only reason I went for an etymotic amongst the deluge of chifi with either nonexistent or really bad QC.

Ironically enough, I have literally dozens of chifi IEMs all the way back from 2017 and barring a few cases where it was mostly my fault, all work perfectly to this day. Even the infamous Tin T2 I bought two years ago has had no issues whatsoever and I've had it on rotation quite frequently.

Jul 3, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #17,912 of 19,246
I feel your disappointment. Kind of expect more from an industry stalwart.

I have tested my other cable that fits further and it appears that one of the buds does have a lose mmcx connection as i can make it cut out by wiggling the plug on the cable. Scratch that now the one that was cutting out is fine and the other is doing it.

Edit** It's the male connector on the my spare cable then. I haven't had issues with this cable on any other set though so perhaps its an issue with the buds female connectors as well.

I'm very thankful i don't have to deal with international shipping/ali/amazon for this and one good thing to come of it is that if i decide i can't handle the fit (still on the fence atm) i've got an excuse to return them for a refund.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #17,913 of 19,246
I feel your disappointment. Kind of expect more from an industry stalwart.

I have tested my other cable that fits further and it appears that one of the buds does have a lose mmcx connection as i can make it cut out by wiggling the plug on the cable. Scratch that now the one that was cutting out is fine and the other is doing it. No idea if its the male or female connectors but It's much better than the stock cable though which cuts out of i move my head or touch it.

I'm very thankful i don't have to deal with international shipping/ali/amazon for this and one good thing to come of it is that if i decide i can't handle the fit (still on the fence atm) i've got an excuse to return them for a refund.
oh I would definitely return them if I were in your position. MMCX connections, fragile as they are rarely get better once they develop an issue AFAIK. All you can do is patch things up from time to time so it doesn't get worse. Wouldn't want the headache myself, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #17,914 of 19,246
oh I would definitely return them if I were in your position. MMCX connections, fragile as they are rarely get better once they develop an issue AFAIK. All you can do is patch things up from time to time so it doesn't get worse. Wouldn't want the headache myself, but it's up to you.

I probably will at this point. Any suggestions for a highly isolating set that can keep up with the ER2XR for similar $$?

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #17,915 of 19,246
I probably will at this point. Any suggestions for a highly isolating set that can keep up with the ER2XR for similar $$?
Frankly, I'm looking for one myself. From the few hours I had the ER2, I can confidently say that nothing I've heard before or since isolates as well (or sounds as natural) as the ER2 (haven't tried the BA models yet).

There was some minor construction work going on nearby and I couldn't hear a thing while I was wearing them, just a low buzz which disappeared altogether while music played. Thankfully I got the seal right after one or two tries without much discomfort on the large triple flanges and when I finally listened to music on them the presentation felt so intimate and detailed that I felt immersed in the music like I'd never been with anything else.

It might seem strange but it instantly 'clicked' for me how etymotic knew exactly what they were doing with the deep insertion design philosophy and remember thinking 'I really should save up and get another for posterity in case they ever discontinue this thing' while listening to them, so it was really a bummer when they developed the connection issue and I had to return them.

As for your question, currently I'm thinking along these lines on what to get next as something similar to ER2:

1. Work on saving up to get one of the ER4 models, though I'd better hurry before the shrinkflation (if that's really the case) gets to them as well. They're supposed to have better QC and by all accounts are clearer and more detailed than the ER2.

2. Bite the bullet and get another ER2 - though this depends on whether etymotic just had a couple of bad batches that developed problems that won't recur in the future or if this is a permanent manufacturing change. Only time will tell.

3. Get a cheapish custom IEM like the Avara CIEMs or Arc Pollux. Not sure about SQ yet though they do provide 26+/-3 dB isolation. Probably not as good as etymotic.

4. Get the recently released Shuoer S12 - more detailed than the ER2 but suck at isolation and Shuoer QC just isn't good. The tape was a mess.

I'd probably go for the first option in the end but the search continues still and I'm definitely open to more choices.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #17,916 of 19,246
Frankly, I'm looking for one myself. From the few hours I had the ER2, I can confidently say that nothing I've heard before or since isolates as well (or sounds as natural) as the ER2 (haven't tried the BA models yet).

There was some minor construction work going on nearby and I couldn't hear a thing while I was wearing them, just a low buzz which disappeared altogether while music played. Thankfully I got the seal right after one or two tries without much discomfort on the large triple flanges and when I finally listened to music on them the presentation felt so intimate and detailed that I felt immersed in the music like I'd never been with anything else.

It might seem strange but it instantly 'clicked' for me how etymotic knew exactly what they were doing with the deep insertion design philosophy and remember thinking 'I really should save up and get another for posterity in case they ever discontinue this thing' while listening to them, so it was really a bummer when they developed the connection issue and I had to return them.

As for your question, currently I'm thinking along these lines on what to get next as something similar to ER2:

1. Work on saving up to get one of the ER4 models, though I'd better hurry before the shrinkflation (if that's really the case) gets to them as well. They're supposed to have better QC and by all accounts are clearer and more detailed than the ER2.

2. Bite the bullet and get another ER2 - though this depends on whether etymotic just had a couple of bad batches that developed problems that won't recur in the future or if this is a permanent manufacturing change. Only time will tell.

3. Get a cheapish custom IEM like the Avara CIEMs or Arx Pollux. Not sure about SQ yet though they do provide 26+/-3 dB isolation. Probably not as good as etymotic.

4. Get the recently released Shuoer S12 - more detailed than the ER2 but suck at isolation and Shuoer QC just isn't good. The tape was a mess.

I'd probably go for the first option in the end but the search continues still and I'm definitely open to more choice

i think isolation from any other iem wont be as good. the er4 also isnt necessarily better than the er2, just different. and over the years ive had multiple problems with er4 cords. so if i were you and loved the er2, id find another pair from another source and hope for the best with the cord. i dont think anything can really replace them. although i really like my er4, if i absolutely had to choose only 1 pair of the 2, id probably take the er2... depends on the player id be using really.

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #17,917 of 19,246

3. Get a cheapish custom IEM like the Avara CIEMs or Arc Pollux. Not sure about SQ yet though they do provide 26+/-3 dB isolation. Probably not as good as etymotic.

I'd probably go for the first option in the end but the search continues still and I'm definitely open to more choices.
I just spent about a few hours with them, and now i really want to hold onto a working set. You're right about the intimacy, immersion and how natural they sound. I had a thought while listening that they sounded like being in front of a really nice set of hi-fi speakers.

So option 2 is first choice. Hopefully the retailer can shed some light on the issue and maybe get me a set from another batch or something.

That said the ER4XR isn't out of reach, it looks like it's a lot flatter in response though and i like a bit of bass. And then as i start contemplating spending more i start thinking about the IE600 and or some custom Oriveti's and things just get a bit out of hand.

A/B'd with my current sets, Mh750, BL-03 and the Timeless (Which all have stand out flaws, ironically in the bass, mids, and highs in that order. Can you spot what i value in IEMS??) and the ER2 is unique enough in that line up that i'd want to use it as a daily driver if i could.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #17,918 of 19,246
The ER2 is such a beast, it's a shame to hear about these cable troubles :frowning2: I hope you guys get up and running for happy listening ASAP.

Recently I mined auto EQs for the ER2 to clone them to other popular IEMs... the single driver design has such a nice simple, yet canonical frequency response to start with, it's easy even using low-Q conservative filters to generate very nice stand ins. To the accuracy of the GRAS source, there are several models that the EQ'd clone had tighter tolerance than the actual IEM's channel balance <6KHz.

Not the closest tracker (but one of my favs to toggle to)

ER2XR-A12t.png

It's only an approximation of course, but it's really crazy how flexible this little tube is!

Jul 3, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #17,919 of 19,246
I'm devastated that my ER2 RH side has pretty much died. I get about 20 mins out of it before the volume drops down to pretty much 0. I have tried drying them out with all methods but the issue remains. I'd buy another set in a heartbeat if I was confident this wouldnt happen again but I think it would after hearing the ongoing QC issues.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #17,920 of 19,246
I just spent about a few hours with them, and now i really want to hold onto a working set. You're right about the intimacy, immersion and how natural they sound. I had a thought while listening that they sounded like being in front of a really nice set of hi-fi speakers.

So option 2 is first choice. Hopefully the retailer can shed some light on the issue and maybe get me a set from another batch or something.

That said the ER4XR isn't out of reach, it looks like it's a lot flatter in response though and i like a bit of bass. And then as i start contemplating spending more i start thinking about the IE600 and or some custom Oriveti's and things just get a bit out of hand.

A/B'd with my current sets, Mh750, BL-03 and the Timeless (Which all have stand out flaws, ironically in the bass, mids, and highs in that order. Can you spot what i value in IEMS??) and the ER2 is unique enough in that line up that i'd want to use it as a daily driver if i could.
Just thought I'd ad my two cents since you mentioned the IE600 ( as I just got mine 1 week ago ).

Here is the thing, the IE600 can't replace the ER4XR. They are completely different, and bought excellent.

The imaging and soundstage are better on the IE600, but it highly depends on what you are listening to and what you are listening after.

Just to give a little example.

The Evanescence and the album, Anywhere but home. You would think the IE600 would be good, but sadly the bass and subbass gets overblown and starts dominating the music, to the point of ruining the vocals and soundstage. Here the ER4XR shines, with suddenly a huge soundstage, great deep bass, rumble and great vocals.

Listening to the Evanescence albums, The bitter truth, and the tables turn. The IE600 sounds natural, with bass that is not overblown, sup imaging and vocals. THE ER4XR will be flat and lifeless in comparison

Philter - The Campfire tals
Is another album, where the ER4XR will outperform the IE600, again bass gets overblown.

Agnes's Obel - Philharmonic
A mix of vocals, strings, violins, IE600 runs circles around the ER4XR. It will sounds very natural, with a huge soundstage and what I can only describe as a black background that adds separation between nots.

To sum up:
ER4XR tonally sounds like the HD650 with subbass. And the IE600 is more Beyedynamic like in the sound signature.

So it highly depends on what kind of music you listen to, and what you reference is. One is better then the other, but the ER4XR shoots way over it's price.

The ER4XR is "good" for everything, where the IE600 is "great" for some music, - but not everything.

Jul 3, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #17,922 of 19,246
Noticed the Etymotic ER2SE seems to have much better treble extension like It can full reach 19.5KHz giving better sense of air/sparkle while the ER3/ER4 seems peak at 15.5KHz which can be noticed in metal, Noise/industrial, Electronic music. The midrange seems way smoother even with the 1.9db peak at 1.6KHz & there no 7.2KHz dip which I can notice on ER4/ER3. Trying few more bassier songs the ER2SE gotta be fastest DD based headphone I've used pretty much sounds like smooth planar headphone. If anything I find the ER3SE/ER4SR quite harsh in the upper mids/low treble which can make noisy & chaotic hard to enjoy without ear fatigue I don't think the ER2SE lacks any detail It just a very smooth IEM even with 3.5db treble shelf boost.

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #17,923 of 19,246
I'm devastated that my ER2 RH side has pretty much died. I get about 20 mins out of it before the volume drops down to pretty much 0. I have tried drying them out with all methods but the issue remains. I'd buy another set in a heartbeat if I was confident this wouldnt happen again but I think it would after hearing the ongoing QC issues.

That's not encouraging. So you can use them for a short time and then they die for a while before you can use them again? When did you buy them?

Jul 3, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #17,924 of 19,246
That's not encouraging. So you can use them for a short time and then they die for a while before you can use them again? When did you buy them?
For whatever its worth, the first thing I did when I got my ER2's was to buy a replacement cord... the one used wirh the ER4 series. I didnt like the rubbery feel of the ER2 cord. If youre familiar with the ER4 cord and agree that its better, why not try changing out the cord? And then if the ER2 still doesnt work, could replace the earphones and use the cord with the new unit. I know its some $ but it is a nicer cord. But that said it can also have quality issues. And its relatively fragile, one strong pull and it can fray a bit. Anyway I think it has a much nicer feel to it. Ive been using an ER2 with the Etymotic ER4 cord (balanced version) for several months with no issues.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #17,925 of 19,246
Noticed the Etymotic ER2SE seems to have much better treble extension like It can full reach 19.5KHz giving better sense of air/sparkle while the ER3/ER4 seems peak at 15.5KHz which can be noticed in metal, Noise/industrial, Electronic music. The midrange seems way smoother even with the 1.9db peak at 1.6KHz & there no 7.2KHz dip which I can notice on ER4/ER3. Trying few more bassier songs the ER2SE gotta be fastest DD based headphone I've used pretty much sounds like smooth planar headphone. If anything I find the ER3SE/ER4SR quite harsh in the upper mids/low treble which can make noisy & chaotic hard to enjoy without ear fatigue I don't think the ER2SE lacks any detail It just a very smooth IEM even with 3.5db treble shelf boost.

I did some highly unscientific testing with a tone generator and the Er2xr and it has the lowest detectable response of any IEM i currently have, having something perceptible happening in my ear going down to about 9hz. Around double what the Timeless gets down to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back