If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #16,966 of 19,253
Luckily there's a supplier in Australia, around $30 AUD shipped for x5 foam tips.

Have you checked in your location?

Apparently neither AD nor retailers stock these, not even a pack

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #16,967 of 19,253
I have tinnitus in my right ear (little in the left). Its full-size headphones that irritate it the most.

Spent $5000 AUD setting up a nice desktop rig for HD800S and get enhanced tinnitus for days in return.

Good deal?
Now you mention it I was listening to my HD800S last week and my tinnitus was noticeably worse for a couple of days.

Maybe I was listening to the HD800S louder than I would with IEMs.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #16,968 of 19,253
Now you mention it I was listening to my HD800S last week and my tinnitus was noticeably worse for a couple of days.

Maybe I was listening to the HD800S louder than I would with IEMs.
It's not only a matter of loudness but tuning as well. HD800S has a prominent area in the upper midrange, specifically 5-7 kHz. Most likely, that's what trigger your tinnitus.

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #16,969 of 19,253
does anyone know how much of the impedance is built into the driver housing and how much of it is in the cable? I know the ER4s had impedance built into the cable but i dont know about the new gens. Trying to properly convert my ER4's into balanced with the proper impedance plug.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #16,970 of 19,253
Just received my ER38-18 grey replacement tips. Unfortunately, they are not the same size as my original "Large" size clear tips, which came with my MK5s. These smaller large grey tips don't fit my ears at all.
I read some of the Amazon reviews stated the same thing claiming the large grey tips they bought is smaller than their existing ones.
The "Large" grey tips seem to be the same size as the "Large" clear tips came with the updated packaging ER Series.
I guess the "larger-large" size tips is no longer in production? Is there any chance I could still get the larger size large tips?
IMG_20210817_143138 copy 2.jpg
Edit:
In the photo - my original MK5's large clear tip (left), large grey replacement tip bought from Amazon (middle), my original MK5's standard frost tip (right)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #16,971 of 19,253
Just received my ER38-18 grey replacement tips. Unfortunately, they are not the same size as my original "Large" size clear tips, which came with my MK5s. These smaller large grey tips don't fit my ears at all.
I read some of the Amazon reviews stated the same thing claiming the large grey tips they bought is smaller than their existing ones.
The "Large" grey tips seem to be the same size as the "Large" clear tips came with the updated packaging ER Series.
I guess the "larger-large" size tips is no longer in production? Is there any chance I could still get the larger size large tips?
IMG_20210817_143138 copy 2.jpg
Edit:
In the photo - my original MK5's large clear tip (left), large grey replacement tip bought from Amazon (middle), my original MK5's standard frost tip (right)
Really? @EtyDave said clear and grey are same size and made in the same mould?

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #16,972 of 19,253
Really? @EtyDave said clear and grey are same size and made in the same mould?

The clear and the gray are from the same mold. There are a couple of possible things going on:

1.) The eartips can swell a bit over time. It's part of why they should be replaced as they don't hold on as tight to the stem. Still, the clear eartip in the photo above is significantly larger.

2.) The gray eartips that we sell are a much lighter gray than the one in the photo above. So either the color is off or that is not one of our eartips.

It's hard to say definitively based on a single photo, but I suspect that the gray eartip in the middle was from a different manufacturer.

Aug 18, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #16,973 of 19,253
The clear and the gray are from the same mold. There are a couple of possible things going on:

1.) The eartips can swell a bit over time. It's part of why they should be replaced as they don't hold on as tight to the stem. Still, the clear eartip in the photo above is significantly larger.

2.) The gray eartips that we sell are a much lighter gray than the one in the photo above. So either the color is off or that is not one of our eartips.

It's hard to say definitively based on a single photo, but I suspect that the gray eartip in the middle was from a different manufacturer.
I've total confidence in what you said, the grey and the clear are from the same mold. I've compared them side by side.
But is there any chance or at any point some even larger size tri-flange tips were made from a different mold, which will explain why my clear tips are larger than the current ones? Or simply because the clear ones came with my MK5s are a different kind of tips (not ER38-18)?

1. I can't remember what they were like when they were new, and they don't hold tight to the stem at this point

2. Maybe the lighting in that photo is too dark, they sure have a lighter grey, and I bought them from Etymotic shop on Amazon. Also, my MK5s were bought from Etymotic shop on Amazon last year.

I'm just trying to find out if I could still find the same clear tips that came with my MK5s, the replacement grey tips are too small for my ears. My mysterious clears tips fit like a glove once they are broken in.

IMG_20210818_125025.jpgIMG_20210818_125143.jpg

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #16,974 of 19,253
I've total confidence in what you said, the grey and the clear are from the same mold. I've compared them side by side.
But is there any chance or at any point some even larger size tri-flange tips were made from a different mold, which will explain why my clear tips are larger than the current ones? Or simply because the clear ones came with my MK5s are a different kind of tips (not ER38-18)?

1. I can't remember what they were like when they were new, and they don't hold tight to the stem at this point

2. Maybe the lighting in that photo is too dark, they sure have a lighter grey, and I bought them from Etymotic shop on Amazon. Also, my MK5s were bought from Etymotic shop on Amazon last year.

I'm just trying to find out if I could still find the same clear tips that came with my MK5s, the replacement grey tips are too small for my ears. My mysterious clears tips fit like a glove once they are broken in.

IMG_20210818_125025.jpgIMG_20210818_125143.jpg
Yes, those do look like the correct eartips.

They are definitely from the same mold as the clear ones. The clear tips you've got appear to have swelled significantly over the years. I would recommend not using those anymore.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #16,975 of 19,253
Yes, those do look like the correct eartips.

They are definitely from the same mold as the clear ones. The clear tips you've got appear to have swelled significantly over the years. I would recommend not using those anymore.
Thank you so much for your help Dave.
After reading your replies, I reviewed some of the discussions earlier and found out that this kind of questions had already been asked before.

Thanks for posting that; it is tremendously helpful.

Based on that photo, I actually believe they are the same tip. The ones on the left have been used so long that they have become engorged and the color has changed slightly. At this point, I probably wouldn't use the ones on the left anymore; they look like they are about to fall apart.

We usually recommend people change the 3-flange tips every few months or so. Over a long enough time frame, interaction with the cerumen in the ear canal can affect the eartip and it's best to stop using them before the material weakens. The rate of breakdown does depend a bit on the chemistry of the particular user.

That's probably more info than anybody wanted to read.
blink.gif

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #16,976 of 19,253
Thank you so much for your help Dave.
After reading your replies, I reviewed some of the discussions earlier and found out that this kind of questions had already been asked before.

I'm happy to help.

This is a very long thread, so it's inevitable that questions will be repeated. I don't always even remember answering them before, so it's a new experience for me, too. :wink:

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #16,978 of 19,253
I couldn't find a general Ety discussion for this and asking here.

So, I'm looking for earphones for sleeping, and Ety seems to be the right candidate. I'm a side-sleeper and the classic Etys may work due to the deep insertion, but not sure about the portion that sticks out slightly. Has anybody side slept with Ety ER2/3/4? Does it cause issues? I'm mainly interested in it due to the good isolation I get with dual flanges in deep insertion with the classics.

Also, I'm wondering if Ety makes any earphone that is much low profile that doesn't have much of a protrusion out of the ear canal? A good candidate was the Etymotic ER6i isolator, and it's discontinued. I wish I can get a hand on one. It seems to be low profile.

Let me know if anybody has general recommendations.

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #16,979 of 19,253

So, I'm looking for earphones for sleeping, and Ety seems to be the right candidate. I'm a side-sleeper and the classic Etys may work due to the deep insertion, but not sure about the portion that sticks out slightly. Has anybody side slept with Ety ER2/3/4? Does it cause issues? I'm mainly interested in it due to the good isolation I get with dual flanges in deep insertion with the classics.

Also, I'm wondering if Ety makes any earphone that is much low profile that doesn't have much of a protrusion out of the ear canal? A good candidate was the Etymotic ER6i isolator, and it's discontinued. I wish I can get a hand on one. It seems to be low profile.

Let me know if anybody has general recommendations.

Maybe the MK5 Isolator? They seem to be the shortest...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #16,980 of 19,253

I have slept on long distance flights with HF5, ER3 - no issues, same as if I had an earplug. True the ER6i is the smallest of them all (just re-discovered it - still amazing sounding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back