If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 13, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #16,996 of 19,254
Following my post above about me testing the Acoustune AET16 tips, i recently purchased the M size, which is a size smaller than my usual eartips size (L).
it turns out i like the M size even more. it can (obviously) go a bit deeper, have less air vacuum feel/effect inside the ears, and most importantly the sound doesn't change. bass have similar depth and impact, treble extention is also similar.
so i highly recommend this eartips to anyone who has fitting problem with the original triflange, but still want to keep the original tips sound characteristics.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #16,997 of 19,254
yeah and they're pretty much using the same driver, just different impedances. you can pretty much get the er3xr and add 22ohms to get er4xr. so you can have the best of both worlds by switching impedance adapters

er3xr is basically just er4xr but evenly slanted downwards EQ, so it should leave the signature intact while sounding warmer. this is different from SE/SR where only the treble gets slanted as you add impedance. XR is more V-shaped overall than SE/SR.
do you have your own measurements between ER3XR + impedance adapter vs ER4XR?

is it possible to make ER4SR sounds like ER3XR using EQ? I'm using Qudelix 5K's but can't find a suitable value.
Use Equalizer APO in Windows

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #16,998 of 19,254
is it possible to make ER4SR sounds like ER3XR using EQ? I'm using Qudelix 5K's but can't find a suitable value.
The XR line of the ER3 & ER4 have a bass boost in the 50-175 hz range, not much but some.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #16,999 of 19,254
The XR line of the ER3 & ER4 have a bass boost in the 50-175 hz range, not much but some.
Approx. 2dB boost in the mid-bass, and increasing to 4dB boost in the sub-bass.
Those numbers are relative to the ER4SR / ER3SE siblings.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #17,000 of 19,254
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #17,001 of 19,254
Just compared ER4SR vs ER3SE + impedance adapter. And I can confirm that the ER3SE + impedance adapter is not the same as the ER4SR.
The ER4SR has better detail and gives a better 3D feel than the ER3SE. Interestingly, the 75 ohm impedance adapter is still not able to match the ER4SR's treble level.
This means that the ER4SR is still brighter than the ER3SE + 75 ohms.
I also have a custom 24 ohm impedance adapter, and of course, the treble level is much lower than the ER4SR. Could 100 ohms be enough to match the ER4SR's treble?
I also haven't tried to measure their frequency response.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #17,002 of 19,254
Just compared ER4SR vs ER3SE + impedance adapter. And I can confirm that the ER3SE + impedance adapter is not the same as the ER4SR.
The ER4SR has better detail and gives a better 3D feel than the ER3SE. Interestingly, the 75 ohm impedance adapter is still not able to match the ER4SR's treble level.
This means that the ER4SR is still brighter than the ER3SE + 75 ohms.
I also have a custom 24 ohm impedance adapter, and of course, the treble level is much lower than the ER4SR. Could 100 ohms be enough to match the ER4SR's treble?
I also haven't tried to measure their frequency response.
Are you using the same tips? worn tips can expand so much and change the treble compared to new ones.
i want to buy a er4sr to test out against my er3se+25ohms. Seems like no one has measured it and posted it online yet. I assumed they would be the same from this guy who compared er3se/er3se+75ohms to er4pt/er4s and found they looked very similar. that would theoretically make the er3se the spiritual successor to the er4pt.

but if ur right and they are different then im curious why they would make 3 different drivers instead of just 2..

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #17,003 of 19,254
Are you using the same tips? worn tips can expand so much and change the treble compared to new ones.
i want to buy a er4sr to test out against my er3se+25ohms. Seems like no one has measured it and posted it online yet. I assumed they would be the same from this guy who compared er3se/er3se+75ohms to er4pt/er4s and found they looked very similar. that would theoretically make the er3se the spiritual successor to the er4pt.

but if ur right and they are different then im curious why they would make 3 different drivers instead of just 2..
I would trust Crin's ER3XR+75ohm more. Your link was by someone who kept following me on Reddit, That some ER3/ER4 being 1% THD was a crime but ignored that the actual THD is 0.28 ~ 0.49%. The ER3SE matches the ER4PT FR wise, The ER3 has the same speed/res as the ER4SR/XR just that the Treble is -5d above 5KHz.

You can even mimic the ER4SR on a ER3SE while keeping the warmth. 5db, 3KHz High shelf with a Q 0,7.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #17,005 of 19,254

Yes, I use the same eartip interchangeably to know for sure the difference in sound.

Can you provide a link for further discussion of the graphic you submitted?

Are the 3 drivers you mean the ER4, ER3, and ER2 drivers?
I would trust Crin's ER3XR+75ohm more. Your link was by someone who kept following me on Reddit, That some ER3/ER4 being 1% THD was a crime but ignored that the actual THD is 0.28 ~ 0.49%. The ER3SE matches the ER4PT FR wise, The ER3 has the same speed/res as the ER4SR/XR just that the Treble is -5d above 5KHz.

You can even mimic the ER4SR on a ER3SE while keeping the warmth. 5db, 3KHz High shelf with a Q 0,7.
Crinacle's ER3XR + 75 ohm graphics do look convincing. But my confidence began to wane when I saw the graph of @csglinux ER3XR + 23 ohm resistor which also looks very close with ER4XR.
But the reality that I get on the ER3SE, the additional 75 ohms is not enough to match the ER4SR's treble level from my hearing. Could it be that the ER3SE/XR and ER4XR have the same driver but the ER4SR has a different driver so the sound is brighter?

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #17,006 of 19,254
Can you provide a link for further discussion of the graphic you submitted?
Sure here it is https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/g807on/er3se_comparison_vs_er4sp/
Are the 3 drivers you mean the ER4, ER3, and ER2 drivers?
Crinacle's ER3XR + 75 ohm graphics do look convincing. But my confidence began to wane when I saw the graph of @csglinux ER3XR + 23 ohm resistor which also looks very close with ER4XR.
But the reality that I get on the ER3SE, the additional 75 ohms is not enough to match the ER4SR's treble level from my hearing. Could it be that the ER3SE/XR and ER4XR have the same driver but the ER4SR has a different driver so the sound is brighter?
the ER3XR/ER4XR are one driver according to manthisis, the ER3SE and ER4SR are possibly 1 driver (2 drivers total), or 2 different drivers (3 drivers total).
the ER3XR behaves differently from the ER3SE when you add resistance. one changes the whole spectrum while the other changes only the treble.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #17,007 of 19,254
Just tested out the Snugs custom moulds for my ER4XR set. Oh. My. Goody Gaaawd. There is simply no pair of tips that can compare to the huge increase in treble clarity and bass punchiness. So happy with this.

Attachments

• 43D511B8-FCED-4959-9FE1-3CEFC9E8EFDD.jpeg
    43D511B8-FCED-4959-9FE1-3CEFC9E8EFDD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 17, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #17,008 of 19,254
I'm down to my last pair of green filters, is there anywhere other than Amazon where I can buy some replacements which would ship to Europe? it just has to reach an EU country without having the shipping cost more than the product itself....

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #17,009 of 19,254
Also, on the subject of filters, how do you people with different filters swap between them without destroying them? I'm considering experimenting with different filters, I found a 'variety pack' where its one pair of each colour but I don't like the idea of only getting one chance to try each of them out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back