If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 12, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #16,921 of 19,253
Did you try the ER4XR?
As mentioned in my ER4XR impressions (posted yesterday):
Unlike ER3SE vs. ER4SR - a comparison in which I could not tell them apart personally (I am sure people with golden ears WILL be able to)...
In the ER3XR vs. ER4XR - I could hear the difference, and I do feel you get rewarded for the extra cost.

Again, all my own personal experience. YMMV :)

No, I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the ER4XR. I'm still waiting to find the right impedance adapter for my ER3XR to try that well-known mod to make a poor-man's ER4XR facsimile.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #16,922 of 19,253
Please keep in mind the ER2's and ER3's come with a different (cheaper) cable than the ER4's...
Thank you.

But do they use the same exact Ety MMCX connector with the non rotation ‘notch’.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #16,923 of 19,253
But do they use the same exact Ety MMCX connector with the non rotation ‘notch’.
Yes!

1626126404690.png

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #16,924 of 19,253
Thanks

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #16,925 of 19,253
Did you try the ER4XR?
As mentioned in my ER4XR impressions (posted yesterday):
Unlike ER3SE vs. ER4SR - a comparison in which I could not tell them apart personally (I am sure people with golden ears WILL be able to)...
In the ER3XR vs. ER4XR - I could hear the difference, and I do feel you get rewarded for the extra cost.

Again, all my own personal experience. YMMV :)
ER4SR vs ER4XR - The vented BA the 4XR uses gives win on impact/bass quality, Even when I mimicked the 4XR on both my ER4SR/ER4S. Probably the closest to a Single BA version of the Evo in my view bass wise.

ER4S vs ER4SR - The 4SR easily win on being smoother and has more overall detail while being much easier to drive.

ER4 vs ER4(EQ'd) - When 1.6KHz cut by 2db and the 7KHz area boosted by 3db with a extra 11KHz high shelf by 3db. Smoother mids with better treble without sound overly boosted.

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #16,927 of 19,253
If only they made a cable adaptor to turn a ER4SR into a ER4BR, Since even when my ER4S is EQ'd to ER4B FR the treble quality makes the ER4S/SR dark while the ER4P/ER3SE treble is pretty much missing. No idea why the ER4B was ignored It not even that harsh it still much smoother than other popular bright headphones???.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #16,928 of 19,253
So I've tried ordering a pack of black foam eartips and a set of replacement green filters from Amazon, and they cancelled and refunded my order because apparently they can't work with my address in Serbia! :triumph:

I'm on my last pair of black foam tips and I would really like to continue using my ER4SR's in comfort ... is there anywhere in Europe where I can buy these things?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #16,929 of 19,253
It's kinda weird, at the Etymotic Research Store on Amazon, both of their ER38-18 (Large grey-tips) and ER38-15SM (Small clear-tips) can be shipped to my location (Hong Kong). However, the ER38-18CL (Large clear-tips) is shown beyond seller's shipping coverage.
I'm having a hard time try to find genuine Etymotic large clear-tips, even my local dealer don't have them in stock. My older ones are constantly losing their seal since they're already over a year old. Buying from their official website seems beyond reasonable, the shipping cost is $43.95 for 10 pieces of eartips costing $14.70.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #16,930 of 19,253
It's kinda weird, at the Etymotic Research Store on Amazon, both of their ER38-18 (Large grey-tips) and ER38-15SM (Small clear-tips) can be shipped to my location (Hong Kong). However, the ER38-18CL (Large clear-tips) is shown beyond seller's shipping coverage.
I'm having a hard time try to find genuine Etymotic large clear-tips, even my local dealer don't have them in stock. My older ones are constantly losing their seal since they're already over a year old. Buying from their official website seems beyond reasonable, the shipping cost is $43.95 for 10 pieces of eartips costing $14.70.
I wonder if @EtyDave knows if there is an easier way for you to get tips.

Jul 18, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #16,931 of 19,253
I wonder if @EtyDave knows if there is an easier way for you to get tips.

I've actually been asking about this (both tips and filters) for our overseas customers. It seems that not all of our distributors carry them.

And yeah, having them shipped from the U.S. is not cost efficient (I wouldn't pay almost $45 to ship tips either).

I'm a bit detached from sales, but I'll continue to poke and prod and see if there's a solution here. People need tips and filters.

Jul 18, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #16,933 of 19,253
It’s been over a week since I e-mailed Etymotic about getting some tri flange tips and dual flange but no reply.

Please PM me with your info and location. I’ll dig into this.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #16,935 of 19,253
I've actually been asking about this (both tips and filters) for our overseas customers. It seems that not all of our distributors carry them.

And yeah, having them shipped from the U.S. is not cost efficient (I wouldn't pay almost $45 to ship tips either).

I'm a bit detached from sales, but I'll continue to poke and prod and see if there's a solution here. People need tips and filters.
I would really appreciate it if you could hook me up with a new set of tips and filters, I've been looking for months and they really aren't as easy to get ahold of as they used to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back