If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #16,486 of 19,249
Feb 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #16,488 of 19,249
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #16,489 of 19,249
Hi guys I currently have the ER4XR, but I am now considering a wireless IEM for the convenience. Are there any signs of Etymotic releasing a wireless IEM@?
They do have a bluetooth neck transmitter cable if you like that. Otherwise, I haven't heard anything about a TWS IEM. Perhaps one of those TWS MMCX adapters on top of a notched to non-notched MMCX adapter? Might be a tricky with the Etys sticking out side ways though as well as the lack of cable length in those TWS MMCX adapters.

https://www.etymotic.com/etymotic-e...-with-akm-velvet-sound-dac-and-amplifier.html

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #16,490 of 19,249
Doesn't look like the UK is on Adorama's shipping list anymore - maybe it's a Brexit thing:face_palm:
It might be worth it to use a package forwarder depending on local prices? It cost me about $40 US (before broker fees) to get my IER-M9 shipped from AUS to US by 10 business day air mail. I reckon forwarding the ER4 could be cheaper or similar price considering how much smaller and lighter the box is.

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #16,492 of 19,249
The ER4B is flatter in the 7KHz area than both the ER4S & ER4PT, Only above 10KHz It boosted by 5db. People have showed before the Red filter can turn a ER4B into a ER4S with more treble bandwidth, Hence the 2 ~ 3db high shelf at 10KHz.

for+JIM.png

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #16,493 of 19,249
as great of a passive noise blocking that the Etys provide for high and mid freq, it still can't cancel the low rumble vibrations that's also being transferred through the cables and the user's body.. as far as i know only ANC with inside and outside mic can cancel that.

i did however sometimes use my Sony WH1000XM3 over my Etys and other IEMs.. now that is the ultimate combo of isolation: best of both world working together :beyersmile:
I have tried those cans as well (from bro-in-law), I like them, but for features alone (BT and a good battery is really nice), but ANC is not one of them. I have spent quite a while back-and-forth with them before and after obtaining my ER4 XR. While I second that cable noise is really crappy, the hollow sound accompanying ANC (in the WH1000XM3) is its ANC equal. While a nicely wide and very warm soundstage accompany the XM3's, it is obviously muddy compared to even my old Shures SE315's. Comparing it with the ER4 is so heavily in favour of one of them, that I can not see using both, other for the reason that you probably paid ~300 $ for the Sony's and don't want to can them (sorry about that >_<).

On the other hand, good that you use (both) what you have; sustainable practises, yay! I won't mention what happens with typical BT devices at end-of-life...

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #16,494 of 19,249
I have tried those cans as well (from bro-in-law), I like them, but for features alone (BT and a good battery is really nice), but ANC is not one of them. I have spent quite a while back-and-forth with them before and after obtaining my ER4 XR. While I second that cable noise is really crappy, the hollow sound accompanying ANC (in the WH1000XM3) is its ANC equal. While a nicely wide and very warm soundstage accompany the XM3's, it is obviously muddy compared to even my old Shures SE315's. Comparing it with the ER4 is so heavily in favour of one of them, that I can not see using both, other for the reason that you probably paid ~300 $ for the Sony's and don't want to can them (sorry about that >_<).

On the other hand, good that you use (both) what you have; sustainable practises, yay! I won't mention what happens with typical BT devices at end-of-life...

yes, as good of an ANC the WH1000XM3 is, i only able to enjoy it for watching movies and occasional gaming, but i don't like it that much for music (like you, i also find it muddy for my taste) ..add to the fact I'm more of an IEM person mostly because i usually listen to music laying down or resting my head.

so i gave it to my son, but i do still keep the WF-1000XM3 TWS for myself though

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #16,495 of 19,249
yes, as good of an ANC the WH1000XM3 is, i only able to enjoy it for watching movies and occasional gaming, but i don't like it that much for music (like you, i also find it muddy for my taste) ..add to the fact I'm more of an IEM person mostly because i usually listen to music laying down or resting my head.

so i gave it to my son, but i do still keep the WF-1000XM3 TWS for myself though
Thanks for reminding me that like you, I am very much an IEM person, but I guess that holds for most here :p
I can see how such headphones are quite the present for kids still, until they hear an ER2 or so.... I guess that until recently (Adorama) those were out of reach for almost all kids. Even the environmental scientist in me is pleased to hear that you engulf your kid in, what I guess is, your hobby: nice.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #16,496 of 19,249
Thanks for reminding me that like you, I am very much an IEM person, but I guess that holds for most here :p
I can see how such headphones are quite the present for kids still, until they hear an ER2 or so.... I guess that until recently (Adorama) those were out of reach for almost all kids. Even the environmental scientist in me is pleased to hear that you engulf your kid in, what I guess is, your hobby: nice.
Actually I used 1000xm4 like a noise mask to hear IEMs(last winter), sometimes IEM are unable to passively filter out noise, and they cannot keep my ear warm either.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #16,500 of 19,249
Hi All
Just a little bit of information. I own a set of ER2XR IEM and decided to look for replacement ear tips. My fingers are frantically typing away on AliExpress and eventually after sifting through loads of results I came across these.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/322...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
I received them yesterday. I didn’t really need to replace my original ear tips yet, but of course I needed to check to see if the new ones fitted. Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather! What an improvement in sound from the original ones. I couldn’t believe it. How’s there a difference I thought? On further investigation I noticed that the hole in the ear tip was larger than the original. That must have been the reason for the improvement in sound. Ok I hear you say, what does the difference sound like? I am getting there.
The difference to me is, instead of being 50mt away from the performance you are now standing right in front of the stage. Everything sounds more clear, defined. Standard saying “Like someone has opened a pair of curtains“ these ear tips cost no money at all. So it’s worth a try if you haven’t already. I was happy with the sound before, but now I’m even more happy.
Hopefully this might help someone. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back