If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #16,456 of 19,249
I liked your review. I felt it was short and sweet while covering details (like tuning filters) that the average person might not know about.

Also to everyone who recommended trying the double flanges, THANK YOU. These are freaking amazing for my sensitive ear canals. They're significantly softer/less sharp edges then the stock triple flanges, which helps a lot in terms of itchiness in terms of overall comfort. In terms of sizing, I find them to be very close in terms to the triple flanges (in terms of sound and feel). I do agree that the medium double flanges seal better then the small double/triple. It really made the ER4XR sound too warm even after I accidentally EQ'ed them -8dB below 100Hz. These definitely make the ER4XR disappear in my ear (after some initial itchiness) while retaining the tuning I've to appreciate. I would highly recommend them to anyone who's found the stock fit to be problematic!

I've also tried EQing my ER4XR to sound like ER4SR using PEACE. I honestly can't hear a difference :sweat_smile: I guess my ears are only really tuned to be mid/treble sensitive hah.
Cheers for the kind words!

I didn't have much luck with the double flange tips, glad to hear you had more success.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #16,458 of 19,249
I'd been put off Etymotic's triple flange tips for a while, however I recently bit the bullet and picked up a pair of ER2XR's. They're outstanding, I'd even go as far to say they're pretty much all the earphone you'll ever need (not that I'm about to get rid of the rest of my collection :wink:). I've written up some of my thoughts here: https://www.modioaudio.co.uk/blog/etymotic-er2xr-all-the-earphone-youll-ever-need. Please let me know what you think :)

What I like about Etymotic is that if you pro EQ. You can do a 10KHz high shelf of +3db to give it more extension, So many went quiet when the ER2 outperforms many DD IEMs that use 10 ~ 16mm drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #16,459 of 19,249
The ER4XR open box version from Adorama arrived today. So glad I was convinceable (a word?) to get back into the Ety world (and as noted in an earlier post, I had the ER4P in 2004 and several lesser models since). I had my last Etys several years ago. Well, with the double flanges, they are just blowing me away. I have an old pair of Westone custom tips that work with Etys, but I am not crazy with how much they stick out and they are much father from the ear opening, so that may affect the sound.

This is my humble setup. Amazing.

Ety ER4XR @$136 incl tax + S&H/EarStudio ES100 (no EQ) @$99/ very short USB mini to USB-C OTG cable @$8/LG V20 @$89 on eBay. First track = From Paris with Love, Melody Gardot. Nothing else I own comes close. Admittedly, I don't spend on high end gear any more, but my collection is solid, albeit a "value" group, so not expensive (used Jabra 75t Active, Melomania 1, Status Audio Between Pro, Fidelio X2HR, Soundcore Q30, Sony WH1000-MX3, Porta Pro Drop edition, Samsung Level On, Status BT-1).

So happy to be back in the Ety fold. I wandered and the prodigal son returns. There's a reason they are still a great company. Please Ety, don't make a TOTL BT model, my wallet can't take it!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #16,461 of 19,249
What I like about Etymotic is that if you pro EQ. You can do a 10KHz high shelf of +3db to give it more extension, So many went quiet when the ER2 outperforms many DD IEMs that use 10 ~ 16mm drivers.
I haven't tried applying any EQ yet - I'll give your suggestion a go. Very true, just goes to show that size doesn't matter!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #16,462 of 19,249
The ER4XR open box version from Adorama arrived today. So glad I was convinceable (a word?) to get back into the Ety world (and as noted in an earlier post, I had the ER4P in 2004 and several lesser models since). I had my last Etys several years ago. Well, with the double flanges, they are just blowing me away. I have an old pair of Westone custom tips that work with Etys, but I am not crazy with how much they stick out and they are much father from the ear opening, so that may affect the sound.

This is my humble setup. Amazing.

Ety ER4XR @$136 incl tax + S&H/EarStudio ES100 (no EQ) @$99/ very short USB mini to USB-C OTG cable @$8/LG V20 @$89 on eBay. First track = From Paris with Love, Melody Gardot. Nothing else I own comes close. Admittedly, I don't spend on high end gear any more, but my collection is solid, albeit a "value" group, so not expensive (used Jabra 75t Active, Melomania 1, Status Audio Between Pro, Fidelio X2HR, Soundcore Q30, Sony WH1000-MX3, Porta Pro Drop edition, Samsung Level On, Status BT-1).

So happy to be back in the Ety fold. I wandered and the prodigal son returns. There's a reason they are still a great company. Please Ety, don't make a TOTL BT model, my wallet can't take it!
Great audio needn't be expensive - looks like a killer setup. Also ER4XR at that price is an absolute steal!

Feb 27, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #16,463 of 19,249
Nope, doesn't have to be. But it does take open box and used to get to a certain level, and that's where the real bargains sit. I tried the Westone custom tips. They are perfect, had them molded years ago for a Westone model I can't even remember. I have two sets by accident (they sent them twice). I have not used them since I no longer have Westones and they only fit Westone, Shure and Ety ... narrow sound tube IEMs. So that makes the package even better!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #16,464 of 19,249
I don't know why I never thought to EQ treble back in. I did EQ +5dB (should account for the slightly less treble of the ER4XR) at 10Khz onto my ER4SR-sound like profile, and now I got my perfect mids earphone with sparkle!

I had kinda the opposite experience to you, where the double flanges were itchy and the triples not so. Perhaps I'll give 'em another go and persevere a bit longer to see if they ease up!
Thats a shame. I did find messing with the angle that the IEMs were oriented did also help a bit. With some luck, theyll work out for you!

EDIT: wearing them over ear also helped a bit as the IEMs would move around less especially once i got them positioned just right.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #16,465 of 19,249
Nope, doesn't have to be. But it does take open box and used to get to a certain level, and that's where the real bargains sit. I tried the Westone custom tips. They are perfect, had them molded years ago for a Westone model I can't even remember. I have two sets by accident (they sent them twice). I have not used them since I no longer have Westones and they only fit Westone, Shure and Ety ... narrow sound tube IEMs. So that makes the package even better!
Actually you can get new er4xr for 139 tax inc. from adorama. I got the sr for that price yesterday. You can look up 2 or 3 page earlier to get the link.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #16,466 of 19,249
I don't know why I never thought to EQ treble back in. I did EQ +5dB (should account for the slightly less treble of the ER4XR) at 10Khz onto my ER4SR-sound like profile, and now I got my perfect mids earphone with sparkle!

I've noticed that with the Etymotic IEM's they lack sparkle. The ER4B fixed that, but that was phased out because people got scared of the +5db treble boost over the ER4S?.

I haven't tried applying any EQ yet - I'll give your suggestion a go. Very true, just goes to show that size doesn't matter!

Yep, Was very impressed with it sub bass performance it hit's harder than any 10+ mm DD IEM i had. While the ER4SR with a +6db 90Hz low shelf it can rival 4 BA CIEM's despite using a 5 mm driver that bit smaller than what the ER2XR using.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #16,467 of 19,249
Actually you can get new er4xr for 139 tax inc. from adorama. I got the sr for that price yesterday. You can look up 2 or 3 page earlier to get the link.
The entire package was there, no signs of used and, most importantly, same two-year Warranty. I tried the previous link but could only see the SR at the $129 price, not the XR. But all good.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #16,469 of 19,249
The entire package was there, no signs of used and, most importantly, same two-year Warranty. I tried the previous link but could only see the SR at the $129 price, not the XR. But all good.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?emailprice=t link for ERXR for $129
Oh, and who needs ANC?
I still like my transparency mode though! Though I've always been tempted by the idea of trying to wear my Etys under a set of hearing protector muffs for extra extra passive isolation.
I've noticed that with the Etymotic IEM's they lack sparkle. The ER4B fixed that, but that was phased out because people got scared of the +5db treble boost over the ER4S?.
No idea. I do wonder if it was actually changed as have read that most measurements over 10Khz are due to the measuring mic and to be taken with a coarse grain of salt.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #16,470 of 19,249
Oh, and who needs ANC?

I still like my transparency mode though! Though I've always been tempted by the idea of trying to wear my Etys under a set of hearing protector muffs for extra extra passive isolation.

as great of a passive noise blocking that the Etys provide for high and mid freq, it still can't cancel the low rumble vibrations that's also being transferred through the cables and the user's body.. as far as i know only ANC with inside and outside mic can cancel that.

i did however sometimes use my Sony WH1000XM3 over my Etys and other IEMs.. now that is the ultimate combo of isolation: best of both world working together :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back