If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 23, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #15,946 of 19,251
Noticed quite a few thing's many reviewers don't add in there ER4XR/SR impressions

- ER4SR almost always under 0.5% THD, ER4 bass THD is 0.3% which is planar low.

- The actual bandwidth on the BA Ety's are 20 ~ 18,000Hz, Which is what 95% of the multi driver IEMs reach.

- Can handle bass boosts super well, If I'm jamming to Dark ambient or EDM i just add 6db. But the max i got was 12db with no clarity or distortion, sounds way more stable than the ER2SE does with the same boost.

- Zero mention that the ER2XR uses a 5.8mm driver with more sub bass than many hybrids with 12mm woofer drivers?. Same story with the ER4 for 7mm BA woofers in Pure BA set up's.

- Them chasing there cat with the ER4 cable in its mouth.

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #15,947 of 19,251
Noticed quite a few thing's many reviewers don't add in there ER4XR/SR impressions

- ER4SR almost always under 0.5% THD, ER4 bass THD is 0.3% which is planar low.

- The actual bandwidth on the BA Ety's are 20 ~ 18,000Hz, Which is what 95% of the multi driver IEMs reach.

- Can handle bass boosts super well, If I'm jamming to Dark ambient or EDM i just add 6db. But the max i got was 12db with no clarity or distortion, sounds way more stable than the ER2SE does with the same boost.

- Zero mention that the ER2XR uses a 5.8mm driver with more sub bass than many hybrids with 12mm woofer drivers?. Same story with the ER4 for 7mm BA woofers in Pure BA set up's.

- Them chasing there cat with the ER4 cable in its mouth.
Etymotic sucks at marketing and product reviews. Plus reviewing multidrivers is more "fun" as there are way more variables. Etymotics are very simple.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #15,948 of 19,251
Etymotic sucks at marketing and product reviews. Plus reviewing multidrivers is more "fun" as there are way more variables. Etymotics are very simple.

That because the last time Etymotic posted here few staff, Nearly had meltdowns at few here. Demanding what would later be the ER4SR/XR being 2BA, while flat out having no idea what there talking about. Really cringy that the "it can't do bass" assholes still spread misinformation, while hyping planar/estats decay/detail despite BA driver's sounding the same. On Reddit most even tried saying Single BA can't be tuned to be bassier, Would cry when the ER4XR was brought which peaks at 4db?.

Always skeptic with Multi drivers, since people who hype the 4 BA stuff will implode when a ER4 with 6db boost sounds the same. And ironically still better treble since BA drivers weren't made for shallow fit style, The JHA CIEM with 12 BA's peaked at 11KHz while the old ER4S was 18KHz.

Etymotic clearly not aiming at the kind of audiophiles here since in the musician/pro audio area, They sell like hot cakes and always liked over the multi driver CIEMs, since you can get custom ear molds for the ER4.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #15,950 of 19,251
It may be because of the holidays so expect a bit more delays. It will come and will be worth the wait.

Happy Holidays everyone! :ksc75smile: :beerchug:

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #15,952 of 19,251
Yesterday I received a balanced cable I bought from Lunashops, Aliexpress for my Er4xr. It was this one https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001518151913.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.741063c0afjKLF
First I was happy to see that the mmcx connectors fit in the Eys with no problem at all and the fit seems very secure and does not move at all. Unfortunatelly the cable is very stiff, really rigid. This makes the set very uncomfortable to use since it introduces strain and tends to move the Etys inside the ear and makes over ear use rather difficult. It is also in this condition very microphonic. Unless I find a solution to make the cable more flexible, any ideas?, I think this is going to be a bad purchase. Sound seems to be ok but..
I must streess the connectors are perfectly fine but never choose this type of cable!

Thanks for updating us. Looks like I won't be getting this cable. I don't like stiff, rigid cables.

I wouldn't recommend this one. I have one, bought from Lunashops. The cable stiffened up near the MMCX connectors. Lunashops wouldn't even help me out. They said that nobody ever had this problem, and they didn't consider the stiff cables to be a defect. They ignored me afterwards. So there's $25 lost. I went back to my ER3XR's stock cable.

Yes, I bought a set of the dual flange, Etymotic branded, from Amazon, although I bought L size, but since you want medium, here's a link to the medium:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Flange-Eartips-Earphones/dp/B08D29N4W7/

Thanks for the link. A set of all double flange sizes were included with the $75 ER3SE I bought from Adorama. I got around to trying them today, and I think they're my favorite ear tips for my Etys. Both M and L sizes fit me, so I'm still deciding between the two. L doesn't go as deep as M, but I get slightly more bass with the L since it's a snugger fit, I guess. L isn't uncomfortable, but M is the more relaxed fit for me. I do have to pull my ear up when removing the L from my ear, but not so with the M.

I'm leaning more towards M for now since it's the more comfortable fit for me. L isn't bad, just a tighter fit that makes it less convenient to remove from my ear. I haven't tried the tips in a noisy environment yet, so opinions could change depending on how much noise each size can block out.

edit: Size M it is. I got a better seal after going a little deeper. Still comfortable, and it blocked out a loud treadmill. I do have to pull my ear up to remove my Etys because of the seal, but that's fine.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #15,954 of 19,251
If anybody is getting rid of their er2xr and upgrading to er4 with the recent sales, I'm looking for an er2xr. Happy holidays
Er2xr is ultra cheap with Adorama's sale so you can get new for about the same price.

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #15,956 of 19,251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back