If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #15,841 of 19,246
Hd600 owner here. First i had er4s for many years. Hd600 are underwhelming. They are good but hd600 could never build this other world music connection er4s gives. Er4s does this thing that you are just one with music flow. Hd600 is good overall but you never forget that you listen to headphones.
Thanks LIVE_EVIL, that's a very accurate description of my Etymotic experience too.

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #15,842 of 19,246
Any Senn HD6xx/650 owners here? How would you compare them with ER4SR/XR/or other ER line-up? I'd really like to get the HD6xx, since I've never own open-backs before.
I have a Massdrop HD6xx into an ifi DAC, and also ER4P/4XR... I've been an Ety fan for many, many years and like you wanted an open back headphone so I got one of the first batch of them from Massdrop.

I quite like them, use them every day, but I much prefer the Ety sound, perhaps because I've had Etys for so long (15 years+) that I'm not used to anything else.

They also need new pads every 24 months which cost $50. The sound really does change as the old pads become worn...

Nov 29, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #15,843 of 19,246
Isn't it more lifeless with the er4? That's my experience with mine. If I want to be indulged and connected with the music I put on the sennheisers or the shures. The etys for sure are more exciting.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #15,844 of 19,246
I have a Massdrop HD6xx into an ifi DAC, and also ER4P/4XR... I've been an Ety fan for many, many years and like you wanted an open back headphone so I got one of the first batch of them from Massdrop.

I quite like them, use them every day, but I much prefer the Ety sound, perhaps because I've had Etys for so long (15 years+) that I'm not used to anything else.

They also need new pads every 24 months which cost $50. The sound really does change as the old pads become worn...
Thanks for you information Bhelpoori

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #15,846 of 19,246
between er2se and er3xr, which do you suggest?
if you want a more appealing vocals go for 3xr. It has also more mid bass and easier to listen to Between the 2. 2se for me is more on the analytical side if that’s also your thing. you get a sense of more detail up top.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #15,850 of 19,246
I didn't heard the ER2, but the ER3XR is the has the second most natural timbre I ever heard, including IEMs/Headphones. The first one is the ER4SR.
I have the ER2SE and the ER4XR and to my ears the ER2 have the more natural sound (maybe I am just conditioned that DD is the right sound). The ER4 have this addictive speed and accuracy that really lets you hear the space within music.

I place value in them both equally and I will pick the set that will match the music I want to listen to at the time.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #15,851 of 19,246
between er2se and er3xr, which do you suggest?
either ER2SE or ER3SE choice is whether you want more tangible bass or clearer HF. I don't believe that bass hump of XR helps in quality.

ER2SE vs ER2XR
Just got ER2SE today instead of ER2XR that failed on me. This was tested on LG Q8 with quad dac which wasn't engaged fully due to low resistance of headphones. I use these with very deep insertion
ER2SE is clearly better for me than ER2XR. XR just have too much of midrange bloat from bass hump. Glad that I didnt replace ER2XR with another pair. Initially i got ER2XR as to have different presentation than my ER4 but i didnt like XR as that bass hump was too much and i just didnt like ER2XR altogether.
Both ER2SE and ER2XR are kind of difficult to drive due to 15 Ohm resistance.
ER2SE has good bass, clean midrange and slightly subdued HF (only slightly).

One cant really go wrong with ER2SE.

E2SE vs ER4P(I guess this is what I have with my current cable instead of ER4S original):

So ER4P has slightly less reverberant bass which is perceived as less bass.
ER2SE does not have that small rise in 1-2 kHz area compared to ER4P. As i understand this is a presence region, and hence ER2SE is slightly less "present". This presence is something that I really love and hence ER4P are better for me and ER2SE is in a way more "correct".

HF on ER4P is more "immediate" and you just "know" they are "there" and right how they should be. ER2SE have HF which is kind of more "schematic". They are there but more kind of artificial, i.e. of lesser quality.

Overall, ER2SE is a good buy and gives you more tangible bass at a cost of slight reduction in quality of HF.
I can only extrapolate that newer ER3SE and ER4SR continue providing same clearer/instant presentation original ER4 is known for.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #15,852 of 19,246
I pulled the trigger on the ER4SR from Adorama. I’m pretty sure this will be my last IEM/earphone purchase.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #15,853 of 19,246
I pulled the trigger on the ER4SR from Adorama. I’m pretty sure this will be my last IEM/earphone purchase.
Last for 2020 eh? :ksc75smile:

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #15,854 of 19,246
Finally got the er4sr I ordered last week from Adorama. Couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back