If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #15,857 of 19,241
Are you in the USA? If not how did you order delivery?
I just checked out using the available adorama shipping which is Fedex international priority. I received both my er4 a week after I placed my order. That's pretty much acceptable to me since I am from SE Asia.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #15,858 of 19,241
I'm starting to wonder if the ER4S is being phased out, Since Etymotic is calling the ER4SR a ER4S 2,0.
Where is this?

I just checked out using the available adorama shipping which is Fedex international priority. I received both my er4 a week after I placed my order. That's pretty much acceptable to me since I am from SE Asia.
Aha, ok, thanks. I have to factor this in then plus importing tax duties.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #15,859 of 19,241
Where is this?

Aha, ok, thanks. I have to factor this in then plus importing tax duties.
Glad that my purchase was not taxed here in our country. Tax starts at $200 of price value.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #15,862 of 19,241
Finally got the er4sr I ordered last week from Adorama. Couldn't be happier.

Did yours happen to include the dual flange tips?

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #15,863 of 19,241
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #15,864 of 19,241
if you want a more appealing vocals go for 3xr. It has also more mid bass and easier to listen to Between the 2. 2se for me is more on the analytical side if that’s also your thing. you get a sense of more detail up top.
Thanks. Right now both can be had for around the same price so I don't know which to get.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #15,865 of 19,241
either ER2SE or ER3SE choice is whether you want more tangible bass or clearer HF. I don't believe that bass hump of XR helps in quality.

ER2SE vs ER2XR
Just got ER2SE today instead of ER2XR that failed on me. This was tested on LG Q8 with quad dac which wasn't engaged fully due to low resistance of headphones. I use these with very deep insertion
ER2SE is clearly better for me than ER2XR. XR just have too much of midrange bloat from bass hump. Glad that I didnt replace ER2XR with another pair. Initially i got ER2XR as to have different presentation than my ER4 but i didnt like XR as that bass hump was too much and i just didnt like ER2XR altogether.
Both ER2SE and ER2XR are kind of difficult to drive due to 15 Ohm resistance.
ER2SE has good bass, clean midrange and slightly subdued HF (only slightly).

One cant really go wrong with ER2SE.

E2SE vs ER4P(I guess this is what I have with my current cable instead of ER4S original):

So ER4P has slightly less reverberant bass which is perceived as less bass.
ER2SE does not have that small rise in 1-2 kHz area compared to ER4P. As i understand this is a presence region, and hence ER2SE is slightly less "present". This presence is something that I really love and hence ER4P are better for me and ER2SE is in a way more "correct".

HF on ER4P is more "immediate" and you just "know" they are "there" and right how they should be. ER2SE have HF which is kind of more "schematic". They are there but more kind of artificial, i.e. of lesser quality.

Overall, ER2SE is a good buy and gives you more tangible bass at a cost of slight reduction in quality of HF.
I can only extrapolate that newer ER3SE and ER4SR continue providing same clearer/instant presentation original ER4 is known for.
I usually listen at low volume. So which one is more suitable?

Dec 2, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #15,867 of 19,241
Well, I received this cable from eBay that was mentioned earlier in the thread and the seller was really good to deal with. That said..

Neither of the connectors are very tight and the left one is loose enough that it comes off pretty much if you look at it funny. I nearly lost one earphone in the street the other night, it was pure fluke that it got caught on a bit of clothing when it fell. The cable is also incredibly microphonic unless you go over ear and since it's fairly stiff you need to absolutely clamp them in place with the chin.. strap.. thing. Whatever that's called.

So yeah, not ideal really but maybe I just got unlucky with the connector thing and as mentioned, the seller has been very good and immediately offered a full refund or replacement.

It's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy an official one despite being loathe to give a company more money for overpriced accessories when I'm replacing something which was faulty from the start..

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #15,868 of 19,241
Well, I received this cable from eBay that was mentioned earlier in the thread and the seller was really good to deal with. That said..

Neither of the connectors is very tight and the left one is loose enough that it comes off pretty much if you look at it funny. I nearly lost one earphone in the street the other night, it was pure fluke that it got caught on a bit of clothing when it fell. The cable is also incredibly microphonic unless you go over ear and since it's fairly stiff you need to absolutely clamp them in place with the chin.. strap.. thing. Whatever that's called.

So yeah, not ideal really but maybe I just got unlucky with the connector thing and as mentioned, the seller has been very good and immediately offered a full refund or replacement.

It's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy an official one despite being loathe to give a company more money for overpriced accessories when I'm replacing something which was faulty from the start..

Oh my, I'm relieved that you didn't lose an earphone, scary that you could have with that cable! Thank you for sharing that report, I had my eye on that very cable but thanks to your report, I will steer clear!

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #15,869 of 19,241

Neither of the connectors is very tight and the left one is loose enough that it comes off pretty much if you look at it funny. I nearly lost one earphone in the street the other night, it was pure fluke that it got caught on a bit of clothing when it fell. The cable is also incredibly microphonic unless you go over ear and since it's fairly stiff you need to absolutely clamp them in place with the chin.. strap.. thing. Whatever that's called.

Thanks for sharing! I’m anxiously waiting for my balanced cable from Lunashops. I’ll report when it arrives.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #15,870 of 19,241
Looking for some guidance. I have the ER4XR and I love them. I actually go to these more than my Andromedas , but I have always had a bit of an issue with the seal.
I have tried all of the tips that came with them and none of them are ideal.
So I am going to try the Comply foam tips as I use them with my Andros so its worth a go. I understand I need the 100 size for the Etymotic, but will it be the same size tips that I use with the Andromedas?
I keep going to sell the ER4s but when I start to listen to them I stop myself :relaxed:
Any guidance appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back