If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 10, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #15,106 of 19,246
One thing I recently realized is that the triple flange tips actually seem to "break in", and become just a little bit more flexible and comfortable. I've actually switched back to the triple flange tips instead of using the Future Sonics tips I had been using.

May 10, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #15,107 of 19,246
What is it with Etymotic now? They completely dropped the old ER-4 line and Customer Service is lackluster now. Any ideas @EtyDave?

I guess that's the new norm after the company is sold to Lucid?

To old ER4P/S/B users: better stock up what you need before they run out.

May 11, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #15,108 of 19,246
I guess that's the new norm after the company is sold to Lucid?

To old ER4P/S/B users: better stock up what you need before they run out.
Not only that but they dont even do repairs anymore. If you bought some etys from a friend and they break you cant pay the $85 service fee to get the fixed out of warranty. Either you bought off an authorized dealer or you're screwed.

Etymotic (Or Lucid). If youre going to stop all repairs for your earphones PLEASE UPDATE YOUR WEBSITE TO REFLECT THAT.

Lucid seems like the EA of iems. Corporate meddling. Ill still use Etymotics of course but i hope this changes for the better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200511-172052.png
    Screenshot_20200511-172052.png
    446.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #15,109 of 19,246
Just finished the more recent Chailly Beethoven Cycle on the ER2XR. I can't believe the bang for the buck performance from these iems.

While chifi has captured the attention of tremendous value in the $100 and under market, at $119 the er2xr's stack up well. But you all already knew this. I'm rather late in the game to ety.

May 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #15,110 of 19,246
Just finished the more recent Chailly Beethoven Cycle on the ER2XR. I can't believe the bang for the buck performance from these iems.

While chifi has captured the attention of tremendous value in the $100 and under market, at $119 the er2xr's stack up well. But you all already knew this. I'm rather late in the game to ety.
Glad they're working out for you. They're so great :)

May 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #15,112 of 19,246
Is the Etymotic ER2SE worth the extra money over the Etymotic ERMK-5 MK5 for casual listening? The 2SE is twice the money and I guess I’m worried if I go for the MK-5 I will regret cheaping out.

I’m not going to use them for critical listening, more for 2-3 times a week listening for 45 minutes or so (an album’s worth) to zone out. I value prescence and a quiet quality to the music presentation. Something that just sounds right but doesn’t feel the need to shout about it.

May 18, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #15,114 of 19,246
Is the Etymotic ER2SE worth the extra money over the Etymotic ERMK-5 MK5 for casual listening? The 2SE is twice the money and I guess I’m worried if I go for the MK-5 I will regret cheaping out.

I’m not going to use them for critical listening, more for 2-3 times a week listening for 45 minutes or so (an album’s worth) to zone out. I value prescence and a quiet quality to the music presentation. Something that just sounds right but doesn’t feel the need to shout about it.
I pulled the trigger on the er2se even though i already own an er4sr. The idea of a quality DD from Etymotic has me hooked.

May 18, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #15,115 of 19,246
I pulled the trigger on the er2se even though i already own an er4sr. The idea of a quality DD from Etymotic has me hooked.
I remember testing EtyKids, MC5, MK3, and MK5 in the past, which were all previous attempts at dynamic driver topology while meeting the Etymotic house sound. While EtyKids can be discounted as a special use case, all three of the M-series were really just awful. They sounded like the standard earplugs you might put in for a listening lab in school (if anyone is old enough to remember that). No bass, no highs, and unintelligible convoluted bumpy mids.

I've had the ER2SE for about 1 month now, and the hype is absolutely real. To me, the clarity and evenness of FR outclasses the ER3 series. They are my third favorite Etymotic earphone of all time behind the ER4XR and ER4S. For the price there is really nothing better for flat response, isolation, and build.

May 18, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #15,116 of 19,246

Let us know what you think of them. I have the ER4S and am interested in the er2se

May 19, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #15,117 of 19,246
There have been many questionable business decisions ever since Etymotics acquisition by Lucid Audio. Special Purchase options have been completely dropped.

It's still there, but changed to useless. Whereas earlier it was a good deal, now all they offer is 20% off the last price - and you have to pay to return the old one. Easier just to buy on Amazon.

May 19, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #15,119 of 19,246
OT. Which one should I get? New 3XR or preowned 3SE or preowned 4P? Given that they are roughly the same price and the preowned have most if not all accessories.I listen to mostly guitar blues, contemporary jazz and classical. Thanks.

May 20, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #15,120 of 19,246
Of those three, for that kind of music and for my sonic tastes, I would choose 3SE. (But this is a weird tradeoff – are you really saying you can only get a preowned 3SE at the price of a new 3XR?)

For my tastes it's like this:
  • 3SE is absolutely beautiful. The sound is clean and correct, with juuust a little bit of added richness beyond the 4SR's more "strictly correct" (in my opinion) presentation.
  • I just don't like the XR series with their added bass bump that sounds unnatural to me. It's like if a vocalist accompanied by piano and bass became bass and pianist's left hand accompanied by vocalist and pianist's right hand. Just no.
  • 4P's tonality is also wrong, but in a less clearly defined way. I can deal with it for a track or two and then it becomes the grain of sand in the shoe and I spend all my attention trying to eq the wrongness out. But at least the 4P can be turned into a correct-sounding 4S with a little adapter.
Again, that's just me. My tastes and the way I hear things are pretty nonrepresentative, I've found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back