If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #14,806 of 19,246
What you heard is the combination of excess 1.6k and recessed 4-8k. That is exactly what you described. As well as the 10khz. If you matched the 2khz you will see xr has more 10khz region than sr. It's all relative.
Only thing you want from xr is just extra bass, other than that sr is superior.

Overall, Harman target has too much 6k and too much roll off after 10k. SR is almost perfect (0.5db-1db too much 1.6khz and 1db less 8khz and 1db too much 11khz). XR has a bit too much 400-800hz, too little 4-8khz. XR+PtoS has a bit too much 10k-14k.
I kinda had the same thought about Harman after getting so used to the Etymotic tuning. Other than the slightly warm upper mids the treble transitions are seamless/flawless on a lot of songs even on the ER4XR.

In many ways, the Etymotic target reminds me more of 2 way monitors in a room but I have no clue what speaker set-up they used to calculate their target. Harman uses a surround sound arrangement for some reason and that might explain the odd treble reaponse though it kinda sounds fuller in a way on full size HPs.

Harman tuned IEMs suck for me though. I might get a pair of the ER4SR then. The XR has a bit too much bass for my taste.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #14,807 of 19,246
I kinda had the same thought about Harman after getting so used to the Etymotic tuning. Other than the slightly warm upper mids the treble transitions are seamless/flawless on a lot of songs even on the ER4XR.

In many ways, the Etymotic target reminds me more of 2 way monitors in a room but I have no clue what speaker set-up they used to calculate their target. Harman uses a surround sound arrangement for some reason and that might explain the odd treble reaponse though it kinda sounds fuller in a way on full size HPs.

Harman tuned IEMs suck for me though. I might get a pair of the ER4SR then. The XR has a bit too much bass for my taste.
Awesome!

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #14,808 of 19,246
I tweaked my LCD-2 Fazor to the Etymotic DF target with the help of the oratory profiles for both headphones. The results are pretty close (though the ER4 has better clarity above 10K I think).
488ghV8.png

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #14,810 of 19,246

The FR comparison between double-flange and triple-flange tips is quite interesting. This explains why I feel a shallow insertion of 2-flange that barely blocks my ear canal is more natural than a deep insertion. I think it moves the resonance peak from 13k towards 8k which fills in the dip. It's also more comfortable that way.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #14,811 of 19,246
The FR comparison between double-flange and triple-flange tips is quite interesting. This explains why I feel a shallow insertion of 2-flange that barely blocks my ear canal is more natural than a deep insertion. I think it moves the resonance peak from 13k towards 8k which fills in the dip. It's also more comfortable that way.

To be fair, the measurements should be taken with a pinch of salt. Unfortunately I simply cannot guarantee that the insertion depth for both tests was exactly the same. I try to take a number of measurements and then often average them out.

So yeah, I'd only recommend using the graphs to get a ballpark idea of the differences.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #14,812 of 19,246
I've been quite happy using the Future Sonics "EarFills" double flange tips on both the ER2XR and ER4XR. The large tips feel a bit larger than the Ety triple flange. I'm able to get a very stable seal with them, which is not the case with the stock tips. I start by inserting them as deep as the Ety triple flange, but then pull back the shells just a tiny bit until there's a distinct feeling of a vacuum-type seal being formed.

I second this! I have been saying this on here for a few months now, but no one seems to take the suggestion!

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #14,813 of 19,246
So at the end of the day what's the difference between ER2SE & ER3SE?

I own both so my very simple view on both is. The ER3SE is just the same as the ER4PT sound wise, The ER2SE is very close to the ER4 but bit less detail and the bass/timbre is much better. But I highly doubt most could tell a ER2 from the ER4 unless they did A/B of the two for few days.

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #14,814 of 19,246
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #14,815 of 19,246
I own both so my very simple view on both is. The ER3SE is just the same as the ER4PT sound wise, The ER2SE is very close to the ER4 but bit less detail and the bass/timbre is much better. But I highly doubt most could tell a ER2 from the ER4 unless they did A/B of the two for few days.

I have the ER2XR and ER4SE and the difference to me is pretty clear, almost night and day. The ER4 just sounds super clear, probably the clearest of all the IEMs that I own. I know that is not apples to apples comparison, but to me made no sense to buy the ER2SR if I already had the ER4SE. Having heard those two, I would think that the ER4XR is the best sounding of all the Etymotic IEMs.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #14,816 of 19,246
So at the end of the day what's the difference between ER2SE & ER3SE?
They are both extremely good and IMO you wouldn't go wrong with either.

To me the ER3SE is more refined and closer to the ER4SR. But I mainly listen on desktop amps. With something like a Fiio BTR3 I feel ER3SE just doesn't sound quite right, and I actually like the ER2SE more.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #14,817 of 19,246
I have the ER2XR and ER4SE and the difference to me is pretty clear, almost night and day. The ER4 just sounds super clear, probably the clearest of all the IEMs that I own. I know that is not apples to apples comparison, but to me made no sense to buy the ER2SR if I already had the ER4SE. Having heard those two, I would think that the ER4XR is the best sounding of all the Etymotic IEMs.

I'd argue the ER2SE would be much cleaner because it dosen't have the 6db bass boost and in my view the 2SE punches way harder than the 4SR does. Despite having the same flat bass as the ER4SR/ER4S.

Would be awesome if the ER5SR uses a dynamic driver, ER4 clarity/detail with the bass/timbre that dynamics have.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #14,820 of 19,246
You mean like DD's are better at treble than BA's?, Because I'm noticing that with the ER2SE.
The bass is definitely the weirdest/worst on BAs but treble and mids also lack some definition. Like part of the textural detail is smeared and when you play close attention to it you kinda hear some grain but the FR is so smooth it doesn't sound very grainy overall.

I want to hear the ER2 but I'm afraid the tuning of the ER4 is too good even if the ER2 is a slight downgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back