If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 4, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #14,821 of 19,253
The bass is definitely the weirdest/worst on BAs but treble and mids also lack some definition. Like part of the textural detail is smeared and when you play close attention to it you kinda hear some grain but the FR is so smooth it doesn't sound very grainy overall.

I want to hear the ER2 but I'm afraid the tuning of the ER4 is too good even if the ER2 is a slight downgrade.

The FR of the ER2SE is the same as the ER4S. Just has dip at 8k and 12k, But still has more treble than the 4SR. I agree with the bass bit the ER2SE outperforms the ER4, i find the mids/treble are better more so with -3db at 1.6k & 6k. Also a 2.5db high shelf gives slight more sparkel above 8k.

Amazing that they did this with a 5 mm Dynamic driver.

Feb 4, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #14,822 of 19,253
I prefer the Er2se to the Er4sr. Instruments have a more realistic tonality, bass is better and I do not hear less detail compared to the Er4sr, in fact I am wondering if it is more detailed as I have noticed things in familiar recordings I don't recall from the Er4. The E2 is not a compromise or downgrade at all.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #14,823 of 19,253
I prefer the Er2se to the Er4sr. Instruments have a more realistic tonality, bass is better and I do not hear less detail compared to the Er4sr, in fact I am wondering if it is more detailed as I have noticed things in familiar recordings I don't recall from the Er4. The E2 is not a compromise or downgrade at all.

I'm noticing that too, The ER2SE could've easily been $299 instead of $150. There the same just with timbre differences with one being dynamic and the other being BA. I'm really liking it much more over my ER3SE's.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #14,824 of 19,253
I had a er4xr and after some time decided the sound was a little too analytic for my taste, i bought a pair of er2xr on the understanding that dynamic drivers were more emotive and engaging - this has proved (imo) to be true and i agree that the er2xr is an absolute bargain and my favourite iem.

Feb 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #14,825 of 19,253
I had a er4xr and after some time decided the sound was a little too analytic for my taste, i bought a pair of er2xr on the understanding that dynamic drivers were more emotive and engaging - this has proved (imo) to be true and i agree that the er2xr is an absolute bargain and my favourite iem.
Not sure what you mean by that. The BA timbre is more forgiving than dynamic and planar drivers in my experience if the frequency response is natural.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #14,827 of 19,253
The worst part of owning an er4xr is that they've ruined the Meze 99c (brainwavez sheepskin pads) for me. Sigh.

I get what you are saying but It's a but unfair to compare an IEM to a headphone.

I own the ER4XR and if I do happen to want a contrasting (better? different?) sound I grab an open headphone like the HD-650 or Fidelio X2HR and I'm happy. Indoor quiet environment assumed.

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #14,828 of 19,253
I get what you are saying but It's a but unfair to compare an IEM to a headphone.

I own the ER4XR and if I do happen to want a contrasting (better? different?) sound I grab an open headphone like the HD-650 or Fidelio X2HR and I'm happy. Indoor quiet environment assumed.
Obviously there are major differences. My point was more that the Ety makes the Meze sound a bit more uncontrolled than I remember them being.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #14,831 of 19,253
It sounds kinda distant to me even though there is some emphasis on vocals for instance, the textural detail is not shoved in your face. It's smooth without a huge amount of detail.
Hmm... My assumption is you misinterpret distortion with details a pair of headphones produce. The so-called "smoothness" is what a good isodynamic or e-stat headphones are about, no?

Feb 7, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #14,835 of 19,253
What does it mean "low surface details"?
You notice it when you listen to sounds and instruments that you're familiar with. For instance, the strumming of guitars is not very detailed on the ER4. The muddiness I'm experiencing is not due to distortion (I don't think) but rather due to a lack of texture in the sound which makes instruments sound a bit distant with a lack of definition. Or you could say the small details are smoothed out in a way that is unnatural.

The LCD-2 by contrast sounds even smoother (some people describe it as liquid/effortless) but also has excellently detailed textures for instruments and vocals (e.g. the breathiness of voices). Maybe the ER4 driver is a bit too tiny and and the sound waves are too shrunk down to sound properly. The driver size certainly seems to impact its dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back