If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #14,791 of 19,246
I have a pair of ER4XR's - how does the adapter affect the sound? What is inside the adapter?
Thx!
It has two resistors inside. Initially used for er4pt to become an er4s.
It will make er4xr a bit brighter, a bit more air, a bit better tonality.
It will also make it much less sensitive. You will need more than double the volume control setting to have the same volume.

Feb 1, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #14,792 of 19,246
I have a pair of ER4XR's - how does the adapter affect the sound? What is inside the adapter?
Thx!

It's basically a 73 ohm (if I'm not mistaken) impedance adapter. Like john said, it would make the ER4XR (or any other Ety for that matter) brighter. You could experiment with other impedance adapters. I have a 100 ohm one, and it would make it a bit brighter than the PtoS.

Feb 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #14,794 of 19,246
XR has increased response below 800hz and significant increase below 500hz. Also the 6-8khz is more recessed than SR.
According to which measurements? Not the ones I've seen.

My issue is the 1K-2K early rise (to my ears) which gives female vocals an unnatural amount of warmth (it also artificially enhances vocal separation) and then you contrast that with the missing 5-8K and the high shelf at 10K and the response is all over the place. Yes, I hear all of that on the modified triple flange tips that were suggested earlier.

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #14,796 of 19,246
2E1B884D-A6E8-4EDA-865D-B32904C79D47.png

Etymotic Research ER3XR Extended Response Balanced Armature in-Ear Earphones Limited Edition with Compatible iPhone Adapter
Has anybody seen this? There must be a DAC/amp in there.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #14,798 of 19,246

My issue is the 1K-2K early rise (to my ears) which gives female vocals an unnatural amount of warmth (it also artificially enhances vocal separation) and then you contrast that with the missing 5-8K and the high shelf at 10K and the response is all over the place. Yes, I hear all of that on the modified triple flange tips that were suggested earlier.

Oof... those strain reliefs just look fragile.

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #14,799 of 19,246

https://clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/10/etymotic-research-er4xr-iem.html.
Also I have personally measured three pairs of xr and one xr as well as er4pt, hf5, er4b.
Er4xr is essentially er4p with a little more sub bass and extra 10khz region.

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #14,800 of 19,246
So I've been using the new tips for a couple of weeks - feel like I still need to spend more time with them to get an overall feel (as I was using the triple flange tips for close to 2-3 months).

Quick comparisons:
• They are not necessarily more comfortable. They feel pretty good in the ear, but as these do not cover the barrel like the triple flange, I feel they are more uncomfortable at the entry point.
•They don't seem to seal, or isolate as well I've found. Feel like I keep re-inserting, or adjusting them

I'll caveat this with the fact that I'm fairly new to IEM's in general, so this is just my feedback and opinions of them. I still plan to keep using them for a few more weeks, and if you've got a pair, then definitely give them a go.

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #14,801 of 19,246
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #14,802 of 19,246
I've been quite happy using the Future Sonics "EarFills" double flange tips on both the ER2XR and ER4XR. The large tips feel a bit larger than the Ety triple flange. I'm able to get a very stable seal with them, which is not the case with the stock tips. I start by inserting them as deep as the Ety triple flange, but then pull back the shells just a tiny bit until there's a distinct feeling of a vacuum-type seal being formed.

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #14,803 of 19,246
Doesn't look all that different 10K and above. Maybe slightly more 8-9K on the SR but also more forward upper mids. The XR is probably preferrable to someone like me (aka a treble sensitive person).
What you heard is the combination of excess 1.6k and recessed 4-8k. That is exactly what you described. As well as the 10khz. If you matched the 2khz you will see xr has more 10khz region than sr. It's all relative.
Only thing you want from xr is just extra bass, other than that sr is superior.

Overall, Harman target has too much 6k and too much roll off after 10k. SR is almost perfect (0.5db-1db too much 1.6khz and 1db less 8khz and 1db too much 11khz). XR has a bit too much 400-800hz, too little 4-8khz. XR+PtoS has a bit too much 10k-14k.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back