If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #14,762 of 19,251
I've had both SR and XR for a bit more than 3y now (and the ER4P/S for much longer than that). Much prefer the SR over the XR. Imho the SR just sounds smoother, more natural and coherent, with same detail retrieval and slightly better imaging. The only advantage of the XR is a fuller lower end, but I've always found the lower freq boost a tad too much for my tastes, throwing the balance off. Overall the SR maybe gets 60% of my listening time, the XR only 10% (the rest being other headphones). I still like it a lot, but the SR is just the better earphone in my view.

Both the SR and XR require quite a few hours of brain burn-in when coming from other headphones in order to get fully accustomed to them. It takes much more time than any other headphone in my experience due to their unique signature. For instance I've been using UM Pro series for the last 2 weeks because they're comfortable IEM for commuting, getting back to the SR took me a good 4-5hrs listening before I could fully appreciate them again.

I have yet to try the ER2 and ER3 series, especially the ER2 and their DD...

Thank you very much for the time you took in answer my question.

I had the 4XR twice (really liked them) and now I have the 3SE which I also like.
It's hard to compare 4XR and 3SE, but from memory I think they aren't very different.
Maybe is the time to give a chance to 4SR.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #14,766 of 19,251
Was your outer packaging like the one here?

https://imgur.com/a/OgEwq6x

Apparently these have the new bi flanges included.
No, this was the box mine came in.
images

Jan 30, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #14,768 of 19,251
Since I've been messing around with shelf filters on EQ APO. I really love how well the BA etymotic's respond to a moderate mid/upper bass boost(4.8db max). Really gives metal & electro more oomph without any clarity loss.
Mind posting your EQ config?
I've been using LuisDent's Uber reference EQ myself , which gives the sub bass an extra kick without losing much in the way of detail. I like using this for faster death metal to gives kick drums more punch.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #14,770 of 19,251
Mind posting your EQ config?
I've been using LuisDent's Uber reference EQ myself , which gives the sub bass an extra kick without losing much in the way of detail. I like using this for faster death metal to gives kick drums more punch.

Band 1 = Low shelf 12db slope, 90Hz at 1db

Band 2 = Low shelf(Q 0.5), 250Hz at 4.8db

Pre amp = -6

I've tried it with quite few songs, It's not a neutral setting. But it really fill's out stuff in the 200 - 800Hz area and gives more warmth. Really surprised how close this sounds to few multi BA's I had in the past & turns off that cold sound Etymotic's have in the mid range. Makes listening to bands like electric wizard & electro music way more fun with the added mid/upper bass.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #14,771 of 19,251
I've taken another look at this old graph (which is presumably accurate) and guess what number 5 is:
q4pydwo.jpg

That looks surprisingly close to the ER2/ER4 measured response with the deep insertion triple flange tips. It is indeed more than 90% accurate and probably the world's most accurate tuning in any headphone due to its low interactivity with the outer ear.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #14,773 of 19,251
I've taken another look at this old graph (which is presumably accurate) and guess what number 5 is:
q4pydwo.jpg

That looks surprisingly close to the ER2/ER4 measured response with the deep insertion triple flange tips. It is indeed more than 90% accurate and probably the world's most accurate tuning in any headphone due to its low interactivity with the outer ear.
The situation's a bit more complicated than that. Even at just this one angle and SPL, with the ear canal completely occluded, you're also missing 1, 2, 3 & 4. So technically, a deep-sealing IEM has to account for all of this - not just #5.

BTW, does anybody have any good-quality pictures of those new Ety double-flange tips? I don't doubt they're more comfy, but the only tips I've found that provide the proper linear treble extension are the triple flanges - and they also have to be the right size to properly seal in the ear canal, otherwise this happens:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ety...and-your-couplers.908512/page-6#post-15108352

I suspect there may be a little price to pay in the treble for the better comfort of the double flange. @JohnYang1997 - have you had a chance to look at these yet?

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #14,775 of 19,251
That makes more sense. So there's still the problem of the missing 5-8K on the ER4 then which is apparent when I compare them to full size headphones EQ-ed to Harman.
You can check this out to see if you really do prefer that Harman target: https://preference-test.sonarworks.com/

Sean Olive will say that you do, but then he works for Harman International which is selling its own headphones that, not surprisingly, tend to have a Harman-like response :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back