If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 17, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #14,627 of 19,249
You mean they advertise the ER2's as having a replaceable cable but have yet to provide them for sale????

I really am stunned by the to-me seemingly infinite array of Etymotic products now available. Maybe they're over extending themselves? I have to wonder.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #14,629 of 19,249
I do have to say, I was a long time closed back headphone user but these might have ruined them for me. I haven’t found a pair of closed backs that have the balance, tone, clarity, or detail level of the ER4XR combined. And when plugged into my Fiio Q1 MK II, the soundstage is passable and the overall presentation improves.

Didn’t think I would move away from using closed backs at work but these might do it for me.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #14,632 of 19,249
Has anyone else received a performance certificate with no name on the Certified By: line? I've seen this a few times, but wonder if it's a common thing.

Mine arrived with no name. My old amp blasted audio through them, some bug - very loud but short. So I sent them back to be tested, to see the drivers are fine. Etymmotic tested them and sent them back, tested normal. So from my experience retesting the missing signature meant nothing

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #14,634 of 19,249
Mine arrived with no name. My old amp blasted audio through them, some bug - very loud but short. So I sent them back to be tested, to see the drivers are fine. Etymmotic tested them and sent them back, tested normal. So from my experience retesting the missing signature meant nothing
I'm not too worried, though my units SPL levels and sensitivity are lower than others I've seen. THD is quite low on both channels, however.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #14,635 of 19,249
cool! any info about the availability or price?
price and release date not announced yet, according to the article i posted...

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #14,636 of 19,249
I'm not too worried, though my units SPL levels and sensitivity are lower than others I've seen. THD is quite low on both channels, however.
For reference.
20200118_140345.jpg

edit: inserted thumbnail to save thread space.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #14,638 of 19,249
Could anyone please clarify at what point did the packaging for the ER4SR include the dual flange tips? Do all sets with the Lucid/new graphics contain the dual flanges, and would buying a set now from Amazon in Europe guarantee having the dual flanges? Could @EtyDave please chime in on this? Many thanks

Can't confirm date, but I bought a pair of ER4SR on Drop, and they came with the dial flanges.
Can't believe I haven't tried them! Everything I read said that triple flange was the way to go - in hindsight, a lot of those comments seem to predate these new double flanges. Eager to try them, and though I love these ER4s, they do hurt after a while. Just not getting used to them.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #14,639 of 19,249
Jan 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #14,640 of 19,249
Got to use the train for the first time in two months today, which meant getting out the old ER4XRs again. Usually the isolation is just way too much and I don't have time to fiddle with the comply tips, so I just go for a set of true wireless earphones.

Damn, everytime I pull them out I am so amazed at how much music I am missing out on. All the reverbs, singers taking breaths, back singers hidden by instruments! Amazing. Not to mention how quiet they make traffic and the subway if you can roll the foams right.

Even though this level of isolation at home with kids and the wife gives me anxiety and getting the fit right is a chore, I seriously need to use these more!

Can't wait to see if the double flanges will help with the time it takes to get a nice deep fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back