If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #14,596 of 19,246
Don't you need an 90 degree angled connector to be able to put the iems in to the ear itself? Now they are pointing straight down and the should be pointing inwards if you get what I mean.
Yup. But Fostex arm is very bendable so you can bend it to point at a right angle. That just means you have to wear the unit control portion a bit higher

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #14,597 of 19,246
i sold my full size headphones because of the ER4S, still love that thing
The only time I wear over the ear headphones is when I DJ on the radio. Been wearing IEM's for private listening for about 20 years. Over the ear headphones feel uncomfortable to me after a short while, my ears start to burn. But I can wear IEM's for hours on end, no problem. However, in the air studio, over the ear headphones are very convenient. They're on only a few minutes and you can take them off and hang them up in a second, and vice versa.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #14,598 of 19,246
Over the ear headphones feel uncomfortable to me after a short while, my ears start to burn.
same for me, my favorite headphone that i had was Hifiman HE500, amazing sounding but very heavy and hot ears after a wile, now i can only use earphones and earbuds
comfort is part of the overall experience, you cant fully enjoy good sound if something is bothering you

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #14,599 of 19,246
same for me, my favorite headphone that i had was Hifiman HE500, amazing sounding but very heavy and hot ears after a wile, now i can only use earphones and earbuds
comfort is part of the overall experience, you cant fully enjoy good sound if something is bothering you
I’m starting to feel this way. The only earphones I used years ago were the Apple EarPods. Those weren’t very comfy or great sounding. So I decided to go full sized and I was convinced all these years they were just better and more comfy. Only recently I discovered the community of quality IEM’s. Hesitant, I decided to take the plunge and it’s been worth it. Practically matched in sound and agreed, these might be more comfortable. At least, I can always feel when cans are on my head, but with these Ety’s it feels more like nothing is there. Although they were pretty uncomfortable the first few weeks.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #14,600 of 19,246
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #14,601 of 19,246
Jan 11, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #14,602 of 19,246
The left side of my ER2XR has started to rattle on low frequencies producing a parasiting noise. It's only audible if you are looking for it and in certain frequencies at the very low of the spectrum. However, it is annoying knowing it's there and I can't help but notice it now that I know. I tried changing the filters but didn't make any difference at all. Does anyone have any idea? Is that a defect? I got my pair second hand on eBay so chances are the problem was there when I first got them but have only noticed it recently. Does Etymotic sell individual drivers as spares? I could probably buy a new driver for the left side if it's worth it.

Sorry to see that you have this problem... if it's any comfort, the ER4-XR I bought in 2016 also rattled in one of the drivers... I had to FedEx them to Elk Grove Village to get a replacement under warranty... in your case you will have to do their special purchase option, hopefully the pair that they replace yours with will be defect free

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #14,603 of 19,246
Anyone know what happened with Ety not selling on their site anymore? It makes certain things like the ER4B impossible to buy now since they aren't sold on Amazon.. I guess email them and ask about it in that case? Any idea when the dual flanges are gonna be available on their own?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #14,604 of 19,246
Anyone know what happened with Ety not selling on their site anymore? It makes certain things like the ER4B impossible to buy now since they aren't sold on Amazon.. I guess email them and ask about it in that case? Any idea when the dual flanges are gonna be available on their own?

I asked this on facebook in response to one of their CES posts and they said "in about a month".

I'd love to get my hands on some earlier to try them.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #14,606 of 19,246
Finally took the plunge and bought the ER4XR on Amazon after my replacement Hf3's broke (don't have the technical skills nor the steady hand to repair them :frowning2: ). They should arrive this week or next week. Can't wait!
If you happen to get the new-style packaging that comes with the dual-flange tips can you post your impressions here? I'm really wanting to try some.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #14,607 of 19,246
@ClieOS used to make great cables for etys with stable connections. Unfortunately not anymore...

Just bought a cable from lunashops. It’s just fine but the connection is a bit flimsy (the Ety mmcx bump isn’t pronounced). Does anybody know of a good provider for cables for Etys? A bit afraid they may fall off this one, even though it’s not too bad.

I’m looking for a balanced 4.4mm option

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #14,608 of 19,246
On a different topic - are er4xr (and the rest of Etys line) right/left specific? Or would it be fine to switch right to left when changing cables? I don’t mean switching channels. Just changing drivers compared to what is marked at the testing sheet. They’re all identical right? (Unlike shure IEMs for example)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back