If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #14,611 of 19,255
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #14,612 of 19,255
On a different topic - are er4xr (and the rest of Etys line) right/left specific? Or would it be fine to switch right to left when changing cables? I don’t mean switching channels. Just changing drivers compared to what is marked at the testing sheet. They’re all identical right? (Unlike shure IEMs for example)

The driver themselves are not left/right specific. You can swap side if you want to.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #14,614 of 19,255
Could anyone please clarify at what point did the packaging for the ER4SR include the dual flange tips? Do all sets with the Lucid/new graphics contain the dual flanges, and would buying a set now from Amazon in Europe guarantee having the dual flanges? Could @EtyDave please chime in on this? Many thanks

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #14,615 of 19,255
Sorry to wander slightly off topic, but somebody here needs to point out that @nadavnaz's avatar is the cover of one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Take a listen with your favorite Ety, if you haven't already :wink:
I used to like Porcupine Tree, but stopped listening to them cold turkey when I discovered other more interesting (IMO) prog groups like Symphony X and OSI. Maybe it's because my favorite album of theirs at the time, In Absentia, reminded me too much of classic rock/prog which I was getting quite bored with.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #14,616 of 19,255
I used to like Porcupine Tree, but stopped listening to them cold turkey when I discovered other more interesting (IMO) prog groups like Symphony X and OSI. Maybe it's because my favorite album of theirs at the time, In Absentia, reminded me too much of classic rock/prog which I was getting quite bored with.
Love Symphony X too:) Haven't heard OSI. What's a good starting point for OSI newbies?

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #14,617 of 19,255
I
Love Symphony X too:) Haven't heard OSI. What's a good starting point for OSI newbies?
That's a difficult one. It's got Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater) and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) with a bunch of special guests on each album. Gavin Harrison has done drums on the last two albums.
For a starting point though, I'd recommend the s/t debut if you like more technical music (it's got Mike Portnoy on drums). Free, the second album is more electronic. Blood has more of a mixture of the debut and Free and was the first release with Gavin. The latest one, Fire Make Thunder, is along the same lines but more prog rock than metal.
No matter your preference though, there truly is nothing like OSI. :)

This song is a good intro to what you can expect.

Edit: video.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #14,618 of 19,255
I
That's a difficult one. It's got Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater) and Jim Matheos (Fates Warning) with a bunch of special guests on each album. Gavin Harrison has done drums on the last two albums.
For a starting point though, I'd recommend the s/t debut if you like more technical music (it's got Mike Portnoy on drums). Free, the second album is more electronic. Blood has more of a mixture of the debut and Free and was the first release with Gavin. The latest one, Fire Make Thunder, is along the same lines but more prog rock than metal.
No matter your preference though, there truly is nothing like OSI. :)

This song is a good intro to what you can expect.

Edit: video.

Thanks for the info!

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #14,619 of 19,255
Just received my ER4XR!

Unfortunately, I did not get the newer packaging with the bi flange tips which is a slight disappointment. On the flip side, it did come with the smaller tri flange tips which actually fit in my ears (huge plus for me). The build quality looks heaps better than the the hf3, though I wish the cable were braided the whole way through. Having the notches on each tip makes these things so much easier and less painful to insert (can not stress this enough). Before with the HF3, the stems wouldn't sit flush my ears because I needed to twist them at awkward angles which hurt my ears. With the XR, the stems sit flush and then some.
I haven't had a chance to test the sound much but what I have heard seems like (to me) a subtle but much appreciated upgrade over the HF3. Details are easier to pick out and I don't notice myself wondering where a particular sound is (this sometimes cropped up with the hf3). It's like listening to a concert in a small room, yet somehow nothing clashes and everything just makes sense.
I can't wait to to listen to these more but alas, I have to do go and be an adult.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #14,620 of 19,255
Just received my ER4XR!

Unfortunately, I did not get the newer packaging with the bi flange tips which is a slight disappointment. On the flip side, it did come with the smaller tri flange tips which actually fit in my ears (huge plus for me). The build quality looks heaps better than the the hf3, though I wish the cable were braided the whole way through. Having the notches on each tip makes these things so much easier and less painful to insert (can not stress this enough). Before with the HF3, the stems wouldn't sit flush my ears because I needed to twist them at awkward angles which hurt my ears. With the XR, the stems sit flush and then some.
I haven't had a chance to test the sound much but what I have heard seems like (to me) a subtle but much appreciated upgrade over the HF3. Details are easier to pick out and I don't notice myself wondering where a particular sound is (this sometimes cropped up with the hf3). It's like listening to a concert in a small room, yet somehow nothing clashes and everything just makes sense.
I can't wait to to listen to these more but alas, I have to do go and be an adult.

Could you please tell us whether you got it from? I wonder whether Amazon Europe has the new packaging in stock, but its very hard to tell...

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #14,622 of 19,255
Hey guys, do the ER2 series comes with the newer packaging (assuming the new packaging as the new bi-flange tip) as well?

Got a pair of ER2SE as my backup iem just 1 month ago, and it came with only 2 triflanges and 1 comply. The smaller frosted triflange do not fit me, while the larger clear triflange does, but I would prefer a tip which is in between. If ER2 does have a newer packaging, would prefer to send it back now, and rebuy it again in the next few months

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #14,624 of 19,255
DSC_2956.jpg

finally happening? ヾ(。>﹏<。)ノ゙✧*。

https://www.phileweb.com/sp/news/d-av/202001/10/49443.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back