If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #14,581 of 19,251
That’s interesting. The foam tips always sounded a tiny bit laid back to me. These don’t. I tried them on my ER4S too and felt the same way.

Oh I can agree that the foams sound more laid back to me too, but between the triple-flange and the foams, these new double-flange seem to sound a bit closer to the foams. It's not as laid back, but sounds to me like they make the ER2SE sound a little bit warmer, less forward vocals, and a bit more apparent bass than the triples.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #14,582 of 19,251
The left side of my ER2XR has started to rattle on low frequencies producing a parasiting noise. It's only audible if you are looking for it and in certain frequencies at the very low of the spectrum. However, it is annoying knowing it's there and I can't help but notice it now that I know. I tried changing the filters but didn't make any difference at all. Does anyone have any idea? Is that a defect? I got my pair second hand on eBay so chances are the problem was there when I first got them but have only noticed it recently. Does Etymotic sell individual drivers as spares? I could probably buy a new driver for the left side if it's worth it.
Warranty is 2 years.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #14,583 of 19,251
What do you usually get as far as foams? Deep inserts I’d get a size down what your usual shallow insert size is. So like if you usually use mediums For normal iems I’d get small. They are so cheap you could get all 3 sizes in one pair each then order the best size in colors you want etc. they took about 3 weeks to get to me. So not that long g.
I don't use foams usually! Maybe I shouldn't have ordered these, but your comments made me curious to try them, so I ordered. I just got ER2SE's and the default smaller fluted tips were too small, I'm using the large pair instead. So, I'm guessing, my ears aren't particularly small. For someone who's been using ER4 since 2001 or so, I'm little experienced in tips. Have always used ones I got with my sets (1/2 dozen or more of ER4S and ER4P) or extras from Etymotic Research. I have seen a ton of tips available from other sources, but have no experience with any of that stuff... until now, with these through AliExpress! I should have them in a few weeks, I'll give them a try. There's L and M, no S... hopefully the M won't be too big. If they are, I can order small ones if I want.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #14,584 of 19,251
I think it will sound this good with any other acceptable source.
I’m sure they will, but despite the treble roll off on both, there is a sonic attribute of the Mojo, that is congenial to the ER2SE. I actually prefer that pairing than with the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #14,587 of 19,251
Man I'd love to try some of these new tips; they don't seem to be on the etymotic website for order yet. I guess they're included in the new-style packaging?

Yes they came in the new packaging. To tell you the truth I was shocked. I saw a picture of them in this thread a long time ago. EtyDave, I think showed them. I stopped using the triple flange tips a few years ago because they started to get painful. But these are really comfortable and I like the sound of them better than the foam tips I’ve been using. It makes me want to call Etymotic to find out when we can get them. Or at least to beg them to spare a few more.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #14,588 of 19,251
I'm in the same boat with regards to the comfort on the triple flanges. They sound great but after a while they become uncomfortable. Shure olives are a decent compromise but the sound quality isn't quite the same.

Here's hoping they make them available to everyone.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #14,589 of 19,251
I'm in the same boat with regards to the comfort on the triple flanges. They sound great but after a while they become uncomfortable. Shure olives are a decent compromise but the sound quality isn't quite the same.

Here's hoping they make them available to everyone.
These stay comfortable for hours for me. I haven’t taken them out yet because of pain. The two flanges are closer in size to each other than the triple flanges are relative to their sizes. So they’re a little less cone shaped and seem a little softer in my ears.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #14,590 of 19,251
True Wireless ER2XR :)

(also selling it)

20200108_233201.jpg

Jan 9, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #14,591 of 19,251
True Wireless ER2XR :)

(also selling it)

Don't you need an 90 degree angled connector to be able to put the iems in to the ear itself? Now they are pointing straight down and the should be pointing inwards if you get what I mean.

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #14,592 of 19,251
I’m sitting here at work listening to these through my Fiio Q1 Mk II. And I’m seriously starting to think, “do I need to lug my closed back headphones to work anymore?” Good lord...

They really open up through proper amplification too. And I’m finally starting to find them more comfortable. I think I would be able to live with just these and my HD6XX to be perfectly frank. Now it’s time to really think...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #14,593 of 19,251
I’m sitting here at work listening to these through my Fiio Q1 Mk II. And I’m seriously starting to think, “do I need to lug my closed back headphones to work anymore?” Good lord...

They really open up through proper amplification too. And I’m finally starting to find them more comfortable. I think I would be able to live with just these and my HD6XX to be perfectly frank. Now it’s time to really think...
i sold my full size headphones because of the ER4S, still love that thing

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #14,595 of 19,251
i sold my full size headphones because of the ER4S, still love that thing
It’s starting to become a legitimate consideration for me. Tuning is perfect, detail is perfect, soundstage imaging is pretty good but all of these things improve even more with the amp/DAC.

Of course, full sized closed backs have a bigger sound that might be hard for me to miss, but this thing beats my closed backs in tuning, detail, portability and isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back