If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 2, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #13,937 of 19,246
The channel separation level of any hi-fi player would be already so high even in single ended that a move to balanced won't be noticeable. I would rather worry about the fact that going balanced more often than not means a doubling of voltage gain from the amp / player and hence a 6dB gain on what are often already overpowered amps for the Etys, along with a 6dB gain on the noise floor.
Ah, thanks for that. I was thinking that the only Ety worthy of balanced could be the old ER4S.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #13,938 of 19,246
So I’ve been listening to the 2XR for about an hour using various tips (foam, single flange, tri flange) and it always has a peak somewhere in the mid-high treble. Not sure why Etys are so sought after if they all have this peak. I find it creates an artificiality to the sound. That said, the bass on the 2XR is quite nice, and I still find them fairly bass light but with decent punch.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #13,939 of 19,246
So I’ve been listening to the 2XR for about an hour using various tips (foam, single flange, tri flange) and it always has a peak somewhere in the mid-high treble. Not sure why Etys are so sought after if they all have this peak. I find it creates an artificiality to the sound. That said, the bass on the 2XR is quite nice, and I still find them fairly bass light but with decent punch.
if you had no previous experience with Ety, it's fair to assume that when you think you're going deep, it's not deep enough ^_^. that in turn will affect the frequency of some resonance and it could be that peak you're feeling.
with that said, not everybody is a fan of Ety's signature. even when used deep and with a proper seal. nothing wrong with that.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #13,940 of 19,246
if you had no previous experience with Ety, it's fair to assume that when you think you're going deep, it's not deep enough ^_^. that in turn will affect the frequency of some resonance and it could be that peak you're feeling.
with that said, not everybody is a fan of Ety's signature. even when used deep and with a proper seal. nothing wrong with that.
I was hoping to get to the optimal depth with tri flanges, not sure how much more my ear canals can go.. I was planning on getting custom tips if I was satisfied with the tri flange sound.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #13,941 of 19,246
Can you get an identical response with a resistor and ER3XR combo to geta and identical response to ER4XR? I know @csglinux got identical response with a resistor.

Are the XR series essentially the old ER4S or P with a resistor/capacitor network or do they include newly tuned proprietary drivers customized with Knowles?

The ER4SR is similar to the ER4S. They use similar drivers, but the newer ER4SR has optimized efficiency and sensitivity for portable use.

The ER4P was a ER4S with shifted frequency response due to the resistor. It was more of a side effect that the ER4P became "warmer" sounding, at a cost of tilted mid and highs as well. The ER4XR is actually using an all new driver, tuned specifically to retain the accuracy in the mid and high frequencies and with a slight bass enhancement. As such it is not possible to convert the ER4SR to ER4XR and vice versa - they fundamentally use different drivers.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #13,942 of 19,246
Can you get an identical reaponse with a resistor and ER3XR combo to geta and identical response to ER4XR? I know @csglinux got identical response with a resistor.

Are the XR series essentially the old ER4S or P with a resistor/capacitor network or do they include newly tuned proprietary drivers customized with Knowles?
ER4S ER4P = Knowles ED29689 + resistor
ER4B = Knowles ED29689 + RC network.
ER4XR = Sonion er88 custome tuned driver very similar to 2354 + resistor (which is basically ported 2389 which is ported ED29689)
ER4SR = Knowles ED32885 custome tuned driver very similar to ED29689 + resistor
HF2/3/5 = Sonion 2389(Sonion equivalent of ED29689) + resistor
ER3 is unknown but I guess they are the same as ER4xR series
There maybe more variations with er3 drivers. Some people can get exact response of er4 out of er3. But some don't. I recommend 50ohm+ for er3 to get best sound.
Resistor are in the cable for first generation and are in the driver housing for second generation.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #13,943 of 19,246
, not sure how much more my ear canals can go..

until they meet in the middle?? :laughing:
but seriously, just as deep as comfortable to you. as long as you got perfect seal, i don't think there's any wrong in using even small single flanges. from what i found for myself, the treble does sound more sparkly with eartips that is not flush with the nozzle (like the triple flange) , so you might want to experiment with that.. find or adjust the tips to have similar distance from the nozzle.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #13,944 of 19,246
until they meet in the middle?? :laughing:
but seriously, just as deep as comfortable to you. as long as you got perfect seal, i don't think there's any wrong in using even small single flanges. from what i found for myself, the treble does sound more sparkly with eartips that is not flush with the nozzle (like the triple flange) , so you might want to experiment with that.. find or adjust the tips to have similar distance from the nozzle.
Lol! I’ll probably do some more experimenting. Letting it burn in for now.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #13,946 of 19,246
ER4XR = Sonion er88 custome tuned driver very similar to 2354 + resistor (which is basically ported 2389 which is ported ED29689)
There maybe more variations with er3 drivers. Some people can get exact response of er4 out of er3. But some don't. I recommend 50ohm+ for er3 to get best sound.
Resistor are in the cable for first generation and are in the driver housing for second generation.

I was taking a look at crinacle' graphs and found this:
Screenshot_20190804-221551.png

graph (10).png

graph (11).png

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #13,947 of 19,246
Turns out I got the 2SE by mistake despite the box being 2XR, so I had to return it. Those impressions will have to be for the SE version. Now I’m curious how bassy the 2XR really is..

Aug 8, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #13,948 of 19,246

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get the ER4S-like sound out of the ER3SE + PtoS adapter but the treble just didn't quite sound the same. I gave up and ended up buying yet another pair of ER4S. After 15 years I'm still stuck with the old Etys, which is too bad because I really like the new design and the cable. Maybe I should go back to experimenting with non-Ety IEMs just to have more options or get a pair of ER4SR.

Aug 8, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #13,949 of 19,246
Thanks for the information. I was hoping to get the ER4S-like sound out of the ER3SE + PtoS adapter but the treble just didn't quite sound the same. I gave up and ended up buying yet another pair of ER4S. After 15 years I'm still stuck with the old Etys, which is too bad because I really like the new design and the cable. Maybe I should go back to experimenting with non-Ety IEMs just to have more options or get a pair of ER4SR.

I’m making a bold prediction that I’d probably sell or give away all my IEMs before I let go of my ER4SR =P

It’s basically the “IEM”. Lightweight, top level isolation, comfortable, flat sounding, extremely portable and a very high quality build and materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back