If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 30, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #13,921 of 19,249
Perhaps back in the days when I was new to the hobby I didn't have good relative idea of bass I preferred, and wasn't aware what I was hearing out of the triple flanges was bass lite. It was the triple flanges I heard the ER4P out of back in the days.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of dynamic driver iems and realize I like bigger area of air movement, and getting a better sense of my bass preference. For BA, bass can actually improve with number of BA to move more air, so it's not that dynamic bass is automatically better. That's probably the biggest difference from single to mult-BA iems.

Also, the sense of space is quite intimate with Etys. What really bring sense of space in iems are the large dynamic drivers in them. Bass and sense of space has much improved over the years with iems in general.

Tried the triple flanges again, and there's no denying that I hear hardly any bass out of these. Foams makes a world of difference in response. It's funny how the measurement rig doesn't reflect how we actually hear due to people having various fit issues.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #13,922 of 19,249
There will be an incoming shure foam olives today, excited to try that and see if I would like the sound.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #13,923 of 19,249
Got the 2XR coming.. Thought it was the safer choice since it’s vented (inside) which will help prevent air pressure issues while the SR version isn’t at all. Also, I feel like you need some deep bass emphasis to counter those forward mids otherwise you won’t hear it at all, at least with Ety bass volume. I listened to the 4SR some months ago (my only other Ety experience) and found it lacking a bit in lows extension and highs were a bit sharp, not to be mistaken for bright or sparkly (tri flange). The 2XR measures smoother, especially with foams. I hope this to be the case.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #13,924 of 19,249
Got the 2XR coming.. Thought it was the safer choice since it’s vented (inside) which will help prevent air pressure issues while the SR version isn’t at all. Also, I feel like you need some deep bass emphasis to counter those forward mids otherwise you won’t hear it at all, at least with Ety bass volume. I listened to the 4SR some months ago (my only other Ety experience) and found it lacking a bit in lows extension and highs were a bit sharp, not to be mistaken for bright or sparkly (tri flange). The 2XR measures smoother, especially with foams. I hope this to be the case.

I own the ER4XR and ER2XR. The 2XR has a lot of deep bass. Too much for me now. I feel like it overshadows the mids and highs and reduces the "Ety" clarity that I love so much. 2XR feels closer to Beats, which I originally came from. But when I wear them, I miss the detailed highs, vocals and percussion and always go back to ER4XR. I guess I have been T R A N S F O R M E D from bass-head to EtyHead.

Aug 1, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #13,925 of 19,249
I got the same impression, but 4XR didn't sound as sharp as I recall of ER4P with gray triple flanges from back in the days. Was 4P or 4S warmer of the two?

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #13,926 of 19,249
Perhaps back in the days when I was new to the hobby I didn't have good relative idea of bass I preferred, and wasn't aware what I was hearing out of the triple flanges was bass lite. It was the triple flanges I heard the ER4P out of back in the days.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of dynamic driver iems and realize I like bigger area of air movement, and getting a better sense of my bass preference. For BA, bass can actually improve with number of BA to move more air, so it's not that dynamic bass is automatically better. That's probably the biggest difference from single to mult-BA iems.

Also, the sense of space is quite intimate with Etys. What really bring sense of space in iems are the large dynamic drivers in them. Bass and sense of space has much improved over the years with iems in general.

Tried the triple flanges again, and there's no denying that I hear hardly any bass out of these. Foams makes a world of difference in response. It's funny how the measurement rig doesn't reflect how we actually hear due to people having various fit issues.
ER4s' sense of space needs appropriate "environment" more than any other iem out there. Think of a pair of good speakers with unusually strict acoustic requirements & amplification.
Sadly, those "improvements" over the years didn't bring us any worthy contenders which can rival decent planar headphones. The closest so far is ER4S.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #13,927 of 19,249
I got the same impression, but 4XR didn't sound as sharp as I recall of ER4P with gray triple flanges from back in the days. Was 4P or 4S warmer of the two?

between the ER4P and the ER4S, the S is brighter and have a lighter /thinner mids

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #13,928 of 19,249
Has anyone found a good source for 2.5mm balanced cable for the new ety's (works with AK DAPs)?
I have found LunaShops in HK (with 1 month+ shipping time to the US), but little else.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #13,929 of 19,249
Can you get an identical reaponse with a resistor and ER3XR combo to geta and identical response to ER4XR? I know @csglinux got identical response with a resistor.

Are the XR series essentially the old ER4S or P with a resistor/capacitor network or do they include newly tuned proprietary drivers customized with Knowles?

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #13,930 of 19,249
Can you get an identical reaponse with a resistor and ER3XR combo to geta and identical response to ER4XR? I know @csglinux got identical response with a resistor.

Are the XR series essentially the old ER4S or P with a resistor/capacitor network or do they include newly tuned proprietary drivers customized with Knowles?
I'm very interested to know that too.
@JohnYang1997 recommended me the ER2XR or the ER3XR with a impedance adapter.
I saw the Oluv's video about the ER3XR and ER4XR and he used a 30 ohm adapter. Is the 30 ohm adapter the most suitable or has another that works better? Thanks in advance. @JohnYang1997 @csglinux

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #13,931 of 19,249

Drivers in new & previous ER4 generations are different.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #13,932 of 19,249

Back when he was around EtyDave explicitly denied that you could convert the new XR into an SR or vice versa using any external resistor or capacitor, unlike the P and S.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #13,933 of 19,249
What’s the verdict on balanced vs single ended with the Etys? I feel balanced sounds good with some headphones but on others the sounds can appear a bit disconnected. The HD6XX was definitely at its best when driven in balanced mode. Perhaps this is the case with the Etys since they have that strong center imaging too?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #13,934 of 19,249
What’s the verdict on balanced vs single ended with the Etys? I feel balanced sounds good with some headphones but on others the sounds can appear a bit disconnected. The HD6XX was definitely at its best when driven in balanced mode. Perhaps this is the case with the Etys since they have that strong center imaging too?
The channel separation level of any hi-fi player would be already so high even in single ended that a move to balanced won't be noticeable. I would rather worry about the fact that going balanced more often than not means a doubling of voltage gain from the amp / player and hence a 6dB gain on what are often already overpowered amps for the Etys, along with a 6dB gain on the noise floor.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #13,935 of 19,249
I'm very interested to know that too.
@JohnYang1997 recommended me the ER2XR or the ER3XR with a impedance adapter.
I saw the Oluv's video about the ER3XR and ER4XR and he used a 30 ohm adapter. Is the 30 ohm adapter the most suitable or has another that works better? Thanks in advance. @JohnYang1997 @csglinux
Likely not the ER2 since it'a a dynamic driver. The impedance networks acts a filter to change the output response. Remember way back when people said essentially ER4S is just ER4P with a resistance adapter? There was even an image of the resistor that was embedded inside the split portion of the cable.

And there was one that had a circut of capacitor and resistor, and I think that one was the ER4PT.

So, my guess is that the XR has a impedance network embedded in the cable in that same area to change the response with more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back