If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #12,752 of 19,246
It kinda makes me want to listen to my 4sr everytime I visit this thread. :beyersmile:

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #12,753 of 19,246
Does anyone still use Shure olives or other tips on their Ety's?
I've been using the deep flanges for weeks but every now and then it seems to get really uncomfortable and I'm afraid of pushing ear wax in further into my up untill the point that's it's stuck at my ear drum.
I use Shure Olives (S), they are tight and very isolating, great for those looking for a more v shape sound.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #12,754 of 19,246
This is my EQ for when some songs sound a bit thin on the 4sr.

Very similar to mine. Helps everything all the time, but I don't "need" it for all music. Same goes for the er4xr. A light mid bass cut helps all the time, but I don't feel like every song "needs" it.

I wish they'd make an er4r. Reference model. Perfect sub bass prefect perfect treble. Even if it cost twice as much it would be worth it compared to all the other stuff out there for $1000.

Also, I've been listening to my er4sr with red filters lately. Still pondering how I feel...

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #12,755 of 19,246
I may be a new Etymotic ER4XR convert. Really, I am totally sold except bass response. I come from the bass head tree of audio and although I I love bass, I love textured, low end, sub-bass, not mid bass bloat that interferes with the mids. I am perfectly happy with a sound that has a huge deep cavern of sub-bass, but the mids and treble are studio flat. After all, to me this is the entire audio spectrum. Can Etymotic create this sound is my question?

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #12,756 of 19,246
I may be a new Etymotic ER4XR convert. Really, I am totally sold except bass response. I come from the bass head tree of audio and although I I love bass, I love textured, low end, sub-bass, not mid bass bloat that interferes with the mids. I am perfectly happy with a sound that has a huge deep cavern of sub-bass, but the mids and treble are studio flat. After all, to me this is the entire audio spectrum. Can Etymotic create this sound is my question?

EQ?

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #12,757 of 19,246
Very similar to mine. Helps everything all the time, but I don't "need" it for all music. Same goes for the er4xr. A light mid bass cut helps all the time, but I don't feel like every song "needs" it.

I wish they'd make an er4r. Reference model. Perfect sub bass prefect perfect treble. Even if it cost twice as much it would be worth it compared to all the other stuff out there for $1000.

Also, I've been listening to my er4sr with red filters lately. Still pondering how I feel...
Etymotic have created already "reference" model (studio reference). It measures flat from 20Hz up to 1kHz, that's it.

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #12,758 of 19,246
Etymotic have created already "reference" model (studio reference). It measures flat from 20Hz up to 1kHz, that's it.

It is by far one of the most reference. But even by their standards the bass isn't ruler flat. Nor is the treble. I'm advocating that they push the reference reponse even further even if it costs more. No gimmicks. Just work hard to iron out that last bit of bass and treble neutrality.

Even discussing the er4xr with etymotic, they said the bass boost response was a compromise, as they could increase only so much without bleeding into the mids. I say they should tweak the er4 somehow. Passive circuit, more expensive driver tweaking. Whatever. Even if a fraction of people bought them, and that meant a $600-800 er4, that would still be a better value than most $1000 earphones.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #12,760 of 19,246
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #12,762 of 19,246
Thank you for prompt reply!
Do you have any suggestions for a cable?

Lunashops sells build-to-spec (20 ohm) ER4P cable. They also sell 100 ohm ER4S cable. But be careful not to get those that doesn't have any resistors inside.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #12,763 of 19,246
It is by far one of the most reference. But even by their standards the bass isn't ruler flat. Nor is the treble. I'm advocating that they push the reference reponse even further even if it costs more. No gimmicks. Just work hard to iron out that last bit of bass and treble neutrality.

Even discussing the er4xr with etymotic, they said the bass boost response was a compromise, as they could increase only so much without bleeding into the mids. I say they should tweak the er4 somehow. Passive circuit, more expensive driver tweaking. Whatever. Even if a fraction of people bought them, and that meant a $600-800 er4, that would still be a better value than most $1000 earphones.

What you're applying here is a matter of personal taste to sound character in my point of view. Not enough bass & treble even in ER4XR? Well, it just says that Etymotic iems don't fall into your preferences or don't pair well with your ears. Just like with any iem monitor on the market there isn't example of single ultimate solution that will satisfy everyone regardless of price range. Take beloved and famous CA Andromeda for example. I wouldn't change my ER4S in favor to green andro no matter of circumstances because the latest have midrange hollowness and odd(colored?) percussion timbre. Even without those points it doesn't excel anywhere else besides more friendly fit.
If Etymotic is going to try multi BA solution achieving perfect coherency & flat impedance curve towards output resistance might be pointed out. Those features are Achilles' heel of most iem monitors on the market.
Otherwise, it's good as it is besides discontinued old ER4 series. If my pair would give up on me sadly there is no alternative to replace it. Can't be helped since I among minorities who finds ER4S better than new generation:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #12,764 of 19,246
Finally my ER3XR has arrived. I needed some cost effective IEMs for my flights 5-6 times a year so I didn't want to spend much because of the small usage but also wanted the best possible sound. Noise cancelling headphones just sound really bad. I had the XM2s. I knew I must go back to IEMs on the go. I tried some other IEMs within this price range but all of them sounded too coloured with overemphasised bass. I was kind of hesitating between the 3XR or SE. (I didn't want to pay more than double for the 4XR when most reviews said the difference is not big.)
I have to say the Ety's are better than I expected. I honestly don't understand why people buy any other IEMs under £500. They sound spacious and detailed for the price. Much better sound quality than any other IEMs I tried in their price category.
That said I still find the mid-bass on the 3XR slightly more emphasised than I like. (And my main headphone these days is the Audeze LCD2C.)
I wonder if I'd be happier with the SE vs the XR? Or I'd find the bass on SE too lean? Etymotic is a hidden gem amongst other IEMs. I don't understand how they are not more popular.
I prefer full sized headphones as they sound more natural and lifelike but for what the ER3XR is, it is brilliant.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #12,765 of 19,246
What you're applying here is a matter of personal taste to sound character in my point of view. Not enough bass & treble even in ER4XR? Well, it just says that Etymotic iems don't fall into your preferences or don't pair well with your ears. Just like with any iem monitor on the market there isn't example of single ultimate solution that will satisfy everyone regardless of price range. Take beloved and famous CA Andromeda for example. I wouldn't change my ER4S in favor to green andro no matter of circumstances because the latest have midrange hollowness and odd(colored?) percussion timbre. Even without those points it doesn't excel anywhere else besides more friendly fit.
If Etymotic is going to try multi BA solution achieving perfect coherency & flat impedance curve towards output resistance might be pointed out. Those features are Achilles' heel of most iem monitors on the market.
Otherwise, it's good as it is besides discontinued old ER4 series. If my pair would give up on me sadly there is no alternative to replace it. Can't be helped since I among minorities who finds ER4S better than new generation:slight_smile:

Incorrect. You either didn't read my post carefully, or it didn't come across correctly. :p

Er4 series is not 100% neutral. they go by a frequency target and have not met that target 100%. The er4 of any kind is not 100% on target based on Etymotic's own reference. That is not debatable. That is a fact. They even give the percentages themselves.

I'm saying I would pay (and know many others who would also pay) more money to see a higher accuracy even if it's a small improvement. The er4xr was meant to give an alternate bass boosted flavor, because many people have repeatedly reported that the er4 series lacks bass. This is not me speaking. This is many others, and this is widely debated, but other targets exist, that while similar in the treble, they deviate by adding more bass. It's fairly common to see many people, including companies that specialize in audio, such as Harman audio, that advocate extra bass. So etymotic made a variant with extra bass for those who prefer that. But here's the issue I had with it. Due to design and cost constraints, the bass bleeds into the mid bass a little. Once again, not a lot, but still less than ideal, as has been reported by many who still love it. Myself included.

But the irony is that to meet their own target, they need something between the er4xr and er4sr in terms of bass. More sub bass, less upper bass. So they have two great variants, of which you could tell I'm one of the biggest fans out there if you scroll these threads. However, that doesn't mean they can't do better. I simply stated it would be worth it to many to pay the added cost it would take to get those gains if possible.

If you told me there was an er4sr that went from 92% accuracy (again, according to etymotic's reference, not mine) up to 98% accuracy, I'd buy another one. You may not care for a few db of sub bass or treble smoothness. I do. And it isn't just my preference, it's their target :). I like their target. It's the best sounding, most studio quality earphone target I've heard. So the closer to perfect, the better.

And lastly, ironically again, I actually agree with you. In every area except sound i prefer the new er4. But for whatever reason I can't explain, the er4s i have sounds smoother and silkier and just cleaner or something. It's incredibly minor, and graphs show the new series are practically identical. But that's exactly my point. Small changes can make a noticeable difference...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back