If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #12,736 of 19,251
Hello ER4 mates
I just made a 3D printable universal fit mod for ER4 series.
Please feel free to download and try if they fit.
40042071673_85756eb842_z.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401873
for me they fit quite well and seal much better than the original tips only.
Most importantly, it can prevent the tips going too deep into my ear canal:ksc75smile:

* NOT sure if ER4SR/XR, ER3 series fits. If they have the same diameter with old ER4 they'll fit.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #12,737 of 19,251
A very stupid question but how do you know you have the tips in far enough?
Like at what depth should you be getting?
I see some people putting them in like all the way (that even the outer 'shell' is touching the ear while others have it in deep but a small part of the shell is still visible).

For example even the very small tri flanges get compressed heavily in my ear canals so they come out oddly shaped (like there is a dent in the largest third flange where my ear canal is pressing on).
I know you get additional bass when the seal is right but with the small size my ear canal is sealed as soon as i plug these in very shallow (the only advantage of having small ears / ear canals) so how can I tell for sure that I have them deep enough if I may ask?
Inserting untill it hurts doesn't work too well as a 'meter' either because it hurts any how to get past that deep fit from what I can tell and at that point it's all equal :p

Just hum and hear it get amplified on your ear canal and insert your iem deeper until the amplification reduced significantly. For me the amplification effect gone with about half of IEMs body inside the ear canal. Btw I cut the largest flange(not including the stem) so it's more comfortable.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #12,739 of 19,251
Just hum and hear it get amplified on your ear canal and insert your iem deeper until the amplification reduced significantly. For me the amplification effect gone with about half of IEMs body inside the ear canal. Btw I cut the largest flange(not including the stem) so it's more comfortable.

if the hum is reduced, it means the seal is broken, no matter how deep you push it in. that moment when your hum is the loudest is the best seal and the most bass vibration preserved that you can get.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #12,740 of 19,251
if the hum is reduced, it means the seal is broken, no matter how deep you push it in. that moment when your hum is the loudest is the best seal and the most bass vibration preserved that you can get.
Actually he is correct. If the smaller flange seals the boney section it reduces the hum. If the bass from the music isn't reduced it's fine.
If you cannot insert deep enough where the large flange blocked by the canal entrance. You can cut around the large flange and it will allow deeper insertion.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #12,743 of 19,251
Hello ER4 mates
I just made a 3D printable universal fit mod for ER4 series.
Please feel free to download and try if they fit.
40042071673_85756eb842_z.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401873
for me they fit quite well and seal much better than the original tips only.
Most importantly, it can prevent the tips going too deep into my ear canal:ksc75smile:

* NOT sure if ER4SR/XR, ER3 series fits. If they have the same diameter with old ER4 they'll fit.
I'm not familiar with 3d-printing but my friend prints stuff on demand for me. Are those made from the "standard hard plastic" or is it some kind of silicone/softer plastic?

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #12,744 of 19,251
I'm not familiar with 3d-printing but my friend prints stuff on demand for me. Are those made from the "standard hard plastic" or is it some kind of silicone/softer plastic?
I printed with PLA which is the most common 3d printing hard plastic and they work just fine.
But I bet it would be even better if you can print with soft material

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #12,745 of 19,251
What impedance adapter for the ER3XR? I just picked up the Etys for cheap and would like to try the mod. I do have a 20ohm coming, but reading some posts here apparently higher is better to bring the treble closer to ER4XR, or more. Clavinetjunkie's measurement of a 50ohm adapter on the ER3XR shows the treble a couple db below the E4 still.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #12,748 of 19,251
What sound characteristic do they give?

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #12,749 of 19,251
Ok, so the replacement cable for the ER4SR/XR has been out of stock for quite a while now which render my ER4XR useless.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/er4-new/er4-06.html

Anyone know of any replacement cables to get instead? I want a black cable and of course the connectors need to be somewhat angled so that the cables don't stick straight out from my ears ; -) Even a "bluetooth cable" would be better than nothing.

Brgds... /Thomas

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #12,750 of 19,251
Hey, have there been any updates on the availability of the ER4SR/XR in Etymotic's own store? I have been waiting for almost two months now for them to restock but the hints I have been getting from all around the Internet (stores running out of stock and not restocking, replacement parts obviously running out as well, etc.) make me think there is something going on with this particular model line. Has it been phased out quietly or is it getting replaced?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back