If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 15, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #12,631 of 19,246
Just got my silicone tips. Clarity is very much improved! I guess it’s the upper midrange that sounds most different from stock tri tips?

I achieved the same level of seal with the tri-flange, nonetheless these etys for sure sound better and are much more comfortable with custom tips, although my pair is very hard to put on once equipped with custom silicone tips.

Do you get more bass?

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #12,632 of 19,246
Just got my silicone tips. Clarity is very much improved! I guess it’s the upper midrange that sounds most different from stock tri tips?

I achieved the same level of seal with the tri-flange, nonetheless these etys for sure sound better and are much more comfortable with custom tips, although my pair is very hard to put on once equipped with custom silicone tips.

A small tip: rub a tiny drop of baby oil over the the outer surface of custom tips should help break it in faster.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #12,633 of 19,246
Do you get more bass?

No, because as I said, the seal is unchanged in my case so the bass quantity is more or less the same. I tried to A-B test between custom tips and stock tips, but it took me almost a minute to switch tips and wear the earphones so my auditory memory wouldn’t be accurate enough to reliably confirm the difference.

But anyway, from what remember I did not hear much difference in bass frequencies, in my case the clarity and improved staging is more apparent.

The improved clarity is very impressive - it also makes seperation more pronounced and imaging less muddled. Perhaps that’s because the earphones now have vented tips that go straight to the ear drums? I don’t know I’m just a dumb lol.

Overall I’m very impressed.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #12,634 of 19,246
A small tip: rub a tiny drop of baby oil over the the outer surface of custom tips should help break it in faster.
how does the break-in work, less friction on the surface or stiffness-related? my silicone tips are soft-type (which was my only choice) and what makes them hard to put on is the friction. I think the their fit is perfect though it’s hard to put on, since once put on properly (always takes me almost a minute to adjust) they disappear in my ear and the sound is just soo great.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #12,635 of 19,246
FYI I knew I got the same amount of seal from custom vs stock tips because I equiped each earphone with each type and shug them into my ears. The custom one is a lot more comfortable though. I then played music in mono through these and I find the bass quality and quantity almost identical in the two, but the custom side obviously had more clarity and soundstage.

edited: more info

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #12,636 of 19,246
how does the break-in work, less friction on the surface or stiffness-related? my silicone tips are not soft-type (which was my only choice) and what makes them hard to put on is the friction. I think the their fit is perfect though it’s hard to put on, since once put on properly (always takes me almost a minute to adjust) they disappear in my ear and the sound is just soo great.

Stiffness won't change much. A little bit of lubrication just help to reduce the friction. Oil in your earwax will eventually do the same thing to the custom eartips, but baby oil makes it faster.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #12,638 of 19,246
Hey Dave!

How is the 2,5mm balanced cable coming along? Very eager to drive my Ettys balanced :)

Sorry for the extremely late response. We're finally going to be shipping the balanced cable in February.

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #12,639 of 19,246
the bass response is going to be mostly affected by the quality of the seal. so it's very much possible that the bass will feel different if one of the listening conditions didn't offer a good seal while the other one does. beyond that, there are little chances for anything significant going on in the low end IMO.
the main risk beside not getting a good seal sometimes, is about the distance/volume of air between the driver and the eardrum. that can shift the resonance to another frequency and obviously the bigger the shift the more noticeable it's going to be(good or bad).

This is exactly right. If a custom mold has more bass, it's because you have a better seal than with the eartips that have been tried. The same applies in reverse.

Frequency response with custom molds can vary, depending on how they are made (and what the resultant insertion depth is), but they can be very cool when done right. And, perhaps most importantly, they can be very comfortable.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #12,640 of 19,246
This is exactly right. If a custom mold has more bass, it's because you have a better seal than with the eartips that have been tried. The same applies in reverse.

Frequency response with custom molds can vary, depending on how they are made (and what the resultant insertion depth is), but they can be very cool when done right. And, perhaps most importantly, they can be very comfortable.

Any recommendations for where to get custom molds for the ER4XR?

Also would material matter? Just from passing, I remember reading about Noble Audio using arcrylic and sillicon (?) options in the past?

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #12,641 of 19,246
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #12,643 of 19,246

I don't know. If distance to eardrum is this guy's only gripe, it's definitely improved from 8 years ago. From his pictures I can definitely understand what he's saying but of all the current customs I've seen for the ER4XR they all look like pic1/pic2 when you insert them.

I'm more curious as to how material/complete seal will affect the sound. I use Comply long tips with mine and they have noticeably less bass than the triple-rubbers.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #12,644 of 19,246
I am embarased to admit my Bose QC 20's with noise cancelling on + a 96K 24 BIT LDAC fed SE100 with eq sound amazing. The sub bass when present in a recording (like church organ bass pedal work or kick drums in rock and R&B) sounds both huge and perfectly controlled.

But I know the mid and high frequencys are mangled somewhat via the noise cancelling.

I have the sub bass cranked, bass reduced and super high end lifted.

If I can't access some fat sub bass on the 4SR Etys with molds and EQ I will be sad.

They get here soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back