If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #12,647 of 19,243
Does anyone wear the ER4s over the ear? How's the fit/comfort?
I do, when worn over the ears the microphonic noise from cable is pretty much reduced, and the earphones don’t feel like they are being pulled down bu the weight anymore.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #12,651 of 19,243
I use mine over-the-ears as well, because microphony was making me crazy until someone told me about the over-the-ear trick - I had not appreciated how much the tri-flanges' seal against the ear bone makes them sensitive to microphony. The cable pulls the flanges out just a little bit, but a lot less than when the weight of the cable is pulling down. Also, it worked better on the ER-4P cable than on the ER-4XR cable, and using the ER-4XR with an aftermarket MMCX cable is the WORST - most MMCX cables have straight plugs and are designed to connect to earpieces that already have the plug in the correct angle to have the cable go over the ear.
With the Ety-MMCX locking slot, even if there were L-shaped cables, the cable wouldn't rotate to the best angle - you always have to route the cable down and through the front of the ear pavillion, instead of 45 degrees (maybe, haven't measured) upwards following the inner curve of the outer fold of the pavillion.
Over-ear routing.png

Edit: made this image. In my experience, you could just rotate the ER-4 to the best angle that everybody else uses, but if you don't lock the ER-4 cable in the intertragical notch, the cable will pull much harder on the flanges and you'll continually have to readjust them to keep the seal.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #12,652 of 19,243
Is anyone using a hidizs sonata with er4s?

Ive just had to replace my lg g5 with a Huawei p20 and the sound is not good so im looking for a small dac or dac and amp.

The compact and very reasonably priced Shanling M3s drives both ER-4S and ER-4SR very well. I'm thoroughly happy with it.

It's been discontinued in favor of their new M5s at a price but some dealers still have M3s stock (Amazon US for $209 for example).

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #12,654 of 19,243
I use mine over-the-ears as well, because microphony was making me crazy until someone told me about the over-the-ear trick - I had not appreciated how much the tri-flanges' seal against the ear bone makes them sensitive to microphony. The cable pulls the flanges out just a little bit, but a lot less than when the weight of the cable is pulling down. Also, it worked better on the ER-4P cable than on the ER-4XR cable, and using the ER-4XR with an aftermarket MMCX cable is the WORST - most MMCX cables have straight plugs and are designed to connect to earpieces that already have the plug in the correct angle to have the cable go over the ear.
With the Ety-MMCX locking slot, even if there were L-shaped cables, the cable wouldn't rotate to the best angle - you always have to route the cable down and through the front of the ear pavillion, instead of 45 degrees (maybe, haven't measured) upwards following the inner curve of the outer fold of the pavillion.
Thanks! Is is that bad with an aftermarket MMCX? I was considering using something like the iBasso IT01 stock cable as it's super light and nice.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #12,655 of 19,243

Over ear is how I always wear them. I’ve seen people first insert the earphones, then wrap them behind their ears - But I like to simultaneously start with them behind my ears first, then come around and insert them in my ears. I position the earphones in my ear, just as I would if they were hanging down.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #12,656 of 19,243
Thanks! Is is that bad with an aftermarket MMCX? I was considering using something like the iBasso IT01 stock cable as it's super light and nice.

Yes. I'm getting desperate. I had a horrible experience with cable replacement for the ER-4P and now it's repeating itself on the ER4-XR, even with the "MMCX" plug. I talk about my experience in this thread

Edit: for not forcing you to go to my "help wanted" thread: it makes bad contact and the sound drops out, sometimes the plug comes loose unexpectedly (I even dropped one of the earpieces on the sidewalk once while I was untangling the cable) and all that movement might even be damaging the MMCX connection itself.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #12,658 of 19,243
My best work yet - built an ER4B circuit and squeezed it into the Y-splitter of a 2.5mm balanced SPC cable.

DSC_0161.jpg
DSC_0164.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back