If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 7, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #12,556 of 19,246
Andromeda is pretty much better in every way except maybe some midrange detail (SR is really boosted in this region) and isolation/fit/comfort.

I own(ed) both and interesting the Andromeda was sold because of comfort/seal issues. The Andromeda has an amazing soundstage and probably among the best treble extension I’ve ever heard though (check my post in Rank IEMs you’ve heard). If you want a cheaper Andromeda, the Comets are not a bad alternative. Inferior in every way but keeps the tonality of it.

If the comfort works out, I'm still gonna stick with the inferior IEM though because what does it matter if your ear is hurting every time :)

I'm very curious about the neutral part though. Everyone describes these as dead neutral so for the price, I wanted one in my collection before finding a neutral CIEM perhaps to replace my Andromeda. Who knows maybe I'll dig the Etys enough to make them my daily driver and call it a day.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #12,557 of 19,246
If the comfort works out, I'm still gonna stick with the inferior IEM though because what does it matter if your ear is hurting every time :)

I'm very curious about the neutral part though. Everyone describes these as dead neutral so for the price, I wanted one in my collection before finding a neutral CIEM perhaps to replace my Andromeda. Who knows maybe I'll dig the Etys enough to make them my daily driver and call it a day.

Hm...if by neutral you’re looking for uncoloured sound like plain water...the SR might be for you.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #12,558 of 19,246
Hm...if by neutral you’re looking for uncoloured sound like plain water...the SR might be for you.

Only time will tell, I guess.
I also got interested because of the great isolation. I like to listen at low levels but with Andromeda, I often turn it up as the shallow seal doesn't always punch so well on very low volumes but that's a personal opinion. I value my hearing quite highly as everyone else so better isolation should also stimulate to keep the listening volumes lower (although ultimately that's a choice and not an IEM that will do it for you).
The added isolation will also do really great at work where I'm trying to zone out when i put in my music :)

Lastly, I ocassionaly drink lemonade and coffee but most of my days are spent with water. Healthy and pure. I'm not sure the etys are more healthy but they sound pure from what I've read

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #12,559 of 19,246
I have narrow ear canals, and am wondering would these work for me?

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #12,560 of 19,246
I have narrow ear canals, and am wondering would these work for me?

I like to think I also have rather small ear canals and mine are coming in somewhere this week. If you want I can update my experience later this week somewhere. I'm not an expert in sound graphs, measurement and these extreme discussions but I can share my initial experience with them if you like.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #12,562 of 19,246
Is xr or sr better for a metal head?

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #12,564 of 19,246
This is a bit subjective to me. I agree that these have small soundsatge - but I think their imaging is superb. The very precise imaging when combined with not-too-small soundstage, produces pretty great 3D listening experience on earphones IMHO.

As per RTINGS video on how soundstage can be measured, which assumes soundstage as a headphone’s ability to imitate loudspeaker in a room, it turns out imaging is ‘reproduced’ while ‘soundstage’ is created. That makes sense to me. And as sound on these Etys is so accurately reproduced, the imaging is intact.

Wow, that's quite some detailed video. Thank you for sharing the video, would take a look at it when i'm freed from schoolwork. But I do agree that imaging is great on these IEMs, there seems to be a very distinct separation between different instruments.

I feel like width isn't a big issue, because everything is easily relatable. IMO Where the Ety's struggle is with vertical space. You'll hear everything, but it won't be "3D". Death metal should sound excellent, especially tech death where I think bass detail is important.

Hmm, tbh I just got back into the audiophile world after a long hiatus from it but even so my knowledge is limited. Comparing these to my iSine 20, I feel that the iSines are more impressive in terms of how expansive it sounds but of course, the Etymotics have a really brilliant realism to it. They're both great IEMs though and they compliment each other really well if anyone here is looking to add on to their IEMs collection.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #12,565 of 19,246
Ok guys, so I just made my ear impression today. They said they only offer one type of silicone. I’m fine with that, since those 2 ear molds only cost $25.

However, my audiologist did not provide bite block for me, so I opened my mouth by myself, and moved my jaws slightly during molding period. I don’t know if this is the right thread to ask, but anyway, will that result in poor fitting ear impressions?

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #12,566 of 19,246
Ok guys, so I just made my ear impression today. They said they only offer one type of silicone. I’m fine with that, since those 2 ear molds only cost $25.

However, my audiologist did not provide bite block for me, so I opened my mouth by myself, and moved my jaws slightly during molding period. I don’t know if this is the right thread to ask, but anyway, will that result in poor fitting ear impressions?

You won't know until you try them for fit, but I did see some reports that that is exactly what you should do. I hope they work out perfect for you.

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #12,567 of 19,246
So if you have small ear canals and they have a bend in them - would the SR4 tip get fairly close to the end of the mold? Then would a drilled hole in the tip of the mold carry the sound "round the bend" to the final destination? Close to the ear drum?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #12,568 of 19,246
Andromeda is pretty much better in every way except maybe some midrange detail (SR is really boosted in this region) and isolation/fit/comfort.

I own(ed) both and interesting the Andromeda was sold because of comfort/seal issues. The Andromeda has an amazing soundstage and probably among the best treble extension I’ve ever heard though (check my post in Rank IEMs you’ve heard). If you want a cheaper Andromeda, the Comets are not a bad alternative. Inferior in every way but keeps the tonality of it.

Thx for the info - I bought the Comets for my wife - definitely a nice little IEMs...

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #12,569 of 19,246
So if you have small ear canals and they have a bend in them - would the SR4 tip get fairly close to the end of the mold? Then would a drilled hole in the tip of the mold carry the sound "round the bend" to the final destination? Close to the ear drum?

Pulled the trigger on molds & bought the SR's - finally! Fingers crossed! It was suggested I dont have the hi tech scan done but get the goop pushed into my ears to 'get round the bend'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back