If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 10, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #12,586 of 19,246
Bought p series Comply's for my Ety's. The fit is so much better compared with the stock tri flanges. It's almost like listening to a different earphone! Music sounds more coherent, bass is punchier and subtler details are noticeable. I only regret not doing this sooner.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #12,588 of 19,246
Just back from the audiologist (getting impressions made for the ER4-SR I have on order)

My suspicions were confirmed I have a heavy bend at the end of my ear canal. Audiologist and I will request the the company making the molds makes them "deep". he told me he called the long stem molds "brain ticklers".

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #12,589 of 19,246
Just back from the audiologist (getting impressions made for the ER4-SR I have on order)

My suspicions were confirmed I have a heavy bend at the end of my ear canal. Audiologist and I will request the the company making the molds makes them "deep". he told me he called the long stem molds "brain ticklers".
You could try the long stem tri-flanges. The good part about them is that the reach further in your ear than the stock ones and they do bend alot so passing a corner would be possible.

These pictures are the small fri-flages long vs short stem with same amount of pressure applied to the tip. The tip could be bent 90 degrees.
long.jpg short.jpg

https://www.etymotic.com/er38-15sml.html

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #12,590 of 19,246
Thanks, I tried those. I am hoping the molds will do the job.

I think those triple flanges sort of bent but ended up Squished to wall of skin.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #12,593 of 19,246
How would you compare the sound? Especially bass quality, extension, clarity and punch/slam? Thanks!
E5000 punch hard and the bass sound more natural, better texture and more natural decay, it has a tad too much mid bass for me, ER4S is very neutral and clean but lacks dynamic range and soundstage size, they are very different

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #12,594 of 19,246

I think you'll be in for a surprise once the molds are done.
I personally went with Comply P series which fit perfectly around the slight bend in my ears. Compared with the large, stock clear triples everything sounds better. I knew Ety's required a proper seal, but didn't realize just how much better they sound once that's achieved.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #12,595 of 19,246
I think you'll be in for a surprise once the molds are done.
I personally went with Comply P series which fit perfectly around the slight bend in my ears. Compared with the large, stock clear triples everything sounds better. I knew Ety's required a proper seal, but didn't realize just how much better they sound once that's achieved.

Are custom molds so much better than the tri flange? I'm thinking about getting custom tips done for my ety or getting westone es80 all together. I'm not sure on durability so hence why I'm debating all in CIEM or custom moulds for ety

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #12,596 of 19,246
Are custom molds so much better than the tri flange? I'm thinking about getting custom tips done for my ety or getting westone es80 all together. I'm not sure on durability so hence why I'm debating all in CIEM or custom moulds for ety
I'm usure, as I unfortunately don't have custom molds. You should try searching this thread though. Pretty sure there have been a few discussions on this. The molds should definitely provide more passive noise isolation, though.
The tri-flanges aren't bad, they're just a bit large for my ears. I went with small comply foams and they're excellent. :)

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #12,597 of 19,246
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin and Dreams - Fleetwood Mac sound so nice on the ER4SR :)

That treble extension, separation and speed.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #12,598 of 19,246
My beige foams stopped sealing reliably after many months using and washing with peroxide.

I liked the small final audio tips, but I kept feeling like I was losing some bass impact from .

I looked in my tip bag, and my old discolored triples also had sealing problems. I was able to find some triples I had never used, and they sealed perfect right away.

My god, the sound! More bass impact and detail than the final audio tips. I guess I will need to keep spare triples and change them more often!

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #12,599 of 19,246

Custom molds are great, and I have several. But for the past year or two I have tended to use my tri-flanges more, because I'm finding I like the quicker insertion and removal and their minimal weight and mass.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #12,600 of 19,246
I kinda like the Gray triple flange as they give the most detail and they're not as easy to look messy unlike the white triples which tends to discolor at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back