If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 8, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #12,571 of 19,246
I picked up a pair of ER3XRs last week on Amazon (still listed at $150) and was initially disappointed. The bass was a bit too emphasized and the upper ranges lacked any of the clarity that I've read so much about. I rotated between the three included tips and settled on the small triflanges for best fit/comfort. Now a week later, the sound seems to have smoothed out with the bass sounding more balanced and the mids and highs coming through clear - I'm attributing this to a combination of the tips softening and conforming to my ear canals better and just getting used to the IEMs in general (brain burn-in). Looking forward to enjoying these on my next flight (I use QC35's for just the ANC and IEMs under them). :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #12,572 of 19,246
I picked up a pair of ER3XRs last week on Amazon (still listed at $150) and was initially disappointed. The bass was a bit too emphasized and the upper ranges lacked any of the clarity that I've read so much about. I rotated between the three included tips and settled on the small triflanges for best fit/comfort. Now a week later, the sound seems to have smoothed out with the bass sounding more balanced and the mids and highs coming through clear - I'm attributing this to a combination of the tips softening and conforming to my ear canals better and just getting used to the IEMs in general (brain burn-in). Looking forward to enjoying these on my next flight (I use QC35's for just the ANC and IEMs under them). :)

Might want to look into the ER3SE then. I also found the bass boost of the XR too much. Also, the tri-fangle tips are probably the best if you're looking for clarity and treble extension.

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #12,573 of 19,246
Might want to look into the ER3SE then. I also found the bass boost of the XR too much. Also, the tri-fangle tips are probably the best if you're looking for clarity and treble extension.
I was very close to exchanging for the SE but I'm glad I stuck with the XR as I'm now very pleased with the sound as a whole. I'm considering picking up an in-line resister similar to the P-to-S adapter but unsure of which ohm rating to get.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #12,574 of 19,246
Just recently got myself a pair of ER3SEs since one popped up with a good price. Glad I'm able to find a good fit with the larger triple flange that came with it.

First thing I noticed would have to be the midrange and clarity. Definitely a winner at the price.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #12,576 of 19,246
@ClieOS

I will have a few ways to listen to my ER4 SR when I get them. (In custom molds)

Main player - Fii0 M9 LDAC 3.5mm unbalanced or 2.5 mm blanced
Also iPhone 8+ via AAC Bluetooth or lightning to 3.5mm

1) Balanced / or unbalanced wired from M9

2) Via a Sony MUC-2BT1 Bluetooth neckband (LDAC) This will allow me to listen to my DAP and get phone notifications & talk on my phone (I wonder if the Sony mmcx will connect to the Etymotic mmcx?)

3) Radsone SE100 2.5 mm balanced out or 3.5 output (this will also allow me to get phone notifications & talk on my phone PLUS gives me a nice global eq for my M9's FiiO music, Qobuz and my iPhone's Spotify and qobuz.

I may want / need custom shortened cables for some of this.

And I wonder how the microphonic / movement noise of the cables will work out?

Do the Etymotic's ship with a banced 2.5 cable?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #12,577 of 19,246

Note that the Sony has a straight mmcx connector and it will be kind of awkward with the ER4SR on its end. Connecting the two however shouldn't be a problem, but I can't say how secure the connection will be as there might be some free rotation going on

[QUOTE="Pro-Jules, post: 14707805, member: 423449"][USER=11725]
I may want / need custom shortened cables for some of this.

And I wonder how the microphonic / movement noise of the cables will work out?

Do the Etymotic's ship with a banced 2.5 cable?
[/QUOTE]

No, they don't ship with balanced cable, only the stock 3.5mm single-ended cable. There has been talk about making an official balanced cable by EtyDave early on but given such a long time has passed without seeing one and the new ownership taking over, I am not sure Etymotic still has a plan for balanced cable production in mind.

If you are going to use the Sony BT neckband, adding a right-angled adapter is probably a smart choice. Then you might also want a short balanced 2.5mm cable to take advantage of the ES100's balanced output. Microphonic mainly depends on how stiff the cable is. The softer it is the less likely it will be an issue. But consider the cable will probably be around 50cm or so in length, microphonic should not be a big issue to begin with mainly because how short the cable is and where it will be positioned - it won't have as much chance to rub against your body and thus less chance of microphonic. However a short cable is more for ES100's balanced output than M9's - you will need either a longer balanced cable, an 2.5mm-to-2.5mm extension cable or keep using the stock single-ended cable as I don't imagine you want to hang the M9 on your chest or have it on your shirt's front pocket all the time.
[/user]

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #12,578 of 19,246
Very helpful many thanks.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #12,579 of 19,246
I found great tips for ER4S (or any other model), they retain the original sound, you have to put something to clamp on them
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6pc...65-4e27-be26-c2f05d4ab6f8&transAbTest=ae803_5
IMG_20190109_211259.jpg IMG_20190109_211222.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #12,580 of 19,246
I wonder if anyone can help me with some useful comments. I am looking for IEMs for flights.
I prefer headphones, I am not very much into IEMs, these are a compromise for me for travelling, I have got 8-10 flights a year.

I used to have IE80s with custom silicon sleeves, but that was a long time ago, I wouldn't be able to listen to them again. I used Flare R2Pro for a while, since it fits in my IE80's silicon sleeves nicely. I liked how natural it sounded compared to the IE80s. I tried Cardas A8, it is way too bassy. The R2Pro's bass quantity was definitely enough for me, however extension, clarity, detail was lacking a bit for my taste. Then I swapped it for a Sony XM2 wireless headphone with ANC. I couldn't get used to this veiled,muddy, (mid-)bassy sound. So I am looking for an IEM again which is quite neutral and natural but has great sub-bass extension, punch and slam to the low-end with clarity.

My home system is Chord 2Qute-Questyle CMA600i-LCD2C. So I am used to a very clean and clear sound with great strong but flat bass down to 20Hz. I am somewhat trying to find the IEM equivalent of the LCD2s.
Good isolation is a must, so Audeze IEMs are not playing. I also don't want to spend a fortune, since I will only be using the IEMs 8-10 times a year. My budget is around £200-250. I don't mind secondhand.
After some research I am interested in the ER3, ER4 and the Campfire Comet. The comet would probably fit in my old IE80 custom silicon sleeves, so that's a big plus. After reading reviews I am just a bit worried that the bass extension is not good enough or it sounds too warm and not very detailed, resolution lacks too much. (Compared to the LCD2 on my home system.)

I am pretty sure the ER3 and especially the ER4 resolution is good enough for me, I am just worried they sound too neutral, not very exciting compared to my Audeze headphones. For the same reason I am also not sure If I'd want the XR or the studio version of them. Would I find the bass lacking on the studio version or too much on the XR? I listen to a lot of electronic ambient where deep and detailed bass is crucial.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #12,581 of 19,246
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #12,584 of 19,246
I wonder if anyone can help me with some useful comments. I am looking for IEMs for flights.
I prefer headphones, I am not very much into IEMs, these are a compromise for me for travelling, I have got 8-10 flights a year.

Bose qc20 and Radsone ES100 with its great eq might be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back