If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #12,541 of 19,246
In my experience silicone tips are fine, but I would choose the stiffest silicone they have available. The tips I once had made with a soft and very pliable silicone turned out to be really sonically inferior to two sets I had made - by the same maker and from the same impressions - in stiffer silicone.
thank you for this advice! I didn’t know I could choose silicone stiffness, will consult with my audiologist.

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #12,542 of 19,246
thank you for this advice! I didn’t know I could choose silicone stiffness, will consult with my audiologist.
It depends on who's making the eartips, but some do offer a range of materials, from very pliable to less so.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #12,544 of 19,246
I'm thinking of buying the 4 sr or XL. Would they handle black and death metal well?

I'm currently on the 4SR and it handles Black Metal pretty well I would say. It handles fast-paced music really well and it's really snappy. Since the bass in Black Metal tends to be overshadowed by the guitars anyway, I'm not so sure if having a bass bump like that in 4XR would be such a key consideration for you. I've read that there's a bit of trade-off in terms of both the treble & the mids but I haven't heard the 4XR myself. Something to take note of is that these Etys have a small soundstage - perhaps not so great when listening to Atmospheric Black Metal. Can't comment on their performance for Death Metal music as it's not a genre that I listen to.

The 4SR sounds fantastic out of my phone but even better when paired up with HeSuVi on the PC, the soundstage considerably widens with a small compromise in the detail retrival when using HeSuVi imo. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong choosing either.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #12,545 of 19,246
I'm currently on the 4SR and it handles Black Metal pretty well I would say. It handles fast-paced music really well and it's really snappy. Since the bass in Black Metal tends to be overshadowed by the guitars anyway, I'm not so sure if having a bass bump like that in 4XR would be such a key consideration for you. I've read that there's a bit of trade-off in terms of both the treble & the mids but I haven't heard the 4XR myself. Something to take note of is that these Etys have a small soundstage - perhaps not so great when listening to Atmospheric Black Metal. Can't comment on their performance for Death Metal music as it's not a genre that I listen to.

The 4SR sounds fantastic out of my phone but even better when paired up with HeSuVi on the PC, the soundstage considerably widens with a small compromise in the detail retrival when using HeSuVi imo. Overall, I don't think you can go wrong choosing either.

This is a bit subjective to me. I agree that these have small soundsatge - but I think their imaging is superb. The very precise imaging when combined with not-too-small soundstage, produces pretty great 3D listening experience on earphones IMHO.

As per RTINGS video on how soundstage can be measured, which assumes soundstage as a headphone’s ability to imitate loudspeaker in a room, it turns out imaging is ‘reproduced’ while ‘soundstage’ is created. That makes sense to me. And as sound on these Etys is so accurately reproduced, the imaging is intact.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #12,546 of 19,246

I feel like width isn't a big issue, because everything is easily relatable. IMO Where the Ety's struggle is with vertical space. You'll hear everything, but it won't be "3D". Death metal should sound excellent, especially tech death where I think bass detail is important.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #12,547 of 19,246
I had a quick question for all you ety fans. I've never had a pair but I listen a lot of acoustic music and relaxing music. Lately I'm also taking up some classic music now and then besides my usual rock and metal.

Ad a software developer I have my ears in almost every day for hours and hours. As such comfort and isolation have become important to me. Currently I have a set of Campfire Andromedas but I don't find the large shell super comfortable for hours on hours and I always use small tips as I feel like my ear canal is probably pretty small.

As such I was wondering how comfortable these are? The deep insertion looks a bit weird and I'm not sure how that would work for hours upon hours? On the other hand good isolation and low level volume would protect my ears I feel like :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #12,548 of 19,246
I had a quick question for all you ety fans. I've never had a pair but I listen a lot of acoustic music and relaxing music. Lately I'm also taking up some classic music now and then besides my usual rock and metal.

Ad a software developer I have my ears in almost every day for hours and hours. As such comfort and isolation have become important to me. Currently I have a set of Campfire Andromedas but I don't find the large shell super comfortable for hours on hours and I always use small tips as I feel like my ear canal is probably pretty small.

As such I was wondering how comfortable these are? The deep insertion looks a bit weird and I'm not sure how that would work for hours upon hours? On the other hand good isolation and low level volume would protect my ears I feel like :)

if using single flange (in my case the Final Audio E) then the insertion won't have to be so deep to have full sound. so the fit won't be fatiguing for long hours of use.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #12,549 of 19,246
Thanks, i just want a small IEM with great sound and good isolation for work and maybe even at home. These seem to thick the boxes so I think I'll give the SR a go as I want to experience music the original way instead of my v shaped Andromeda or boomy Cascades :)

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #12,550 of 19,246
Still in my collection because of this. Using it as a reference. Not to mention the awesome fit and comfort due to its super light weight. Once you get past the deep insertion (ha). So many IEMs, even the Andromeda, had to go because of shallow insertion or poor comfort/fit.

I just ordered a pair of SR after having similar issue with my Andromeda at times. Hoping I can get used to deep insertion.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #12,551 of 19,246

They didn't work out for me. I also have small ear canals. I jammed them in deep and it did feel weird, I never got the full bass you are supposed (and I crapped around for days with all the various tips - I bought a load of them) to no avail. Only by grabbing my ears and pulling them upwards did I get the full range sound - conclusion I have small ear canals with probably an unusual bend in them. I could tell they DO sound amazing (for the right ear shape) and I still may get a set of custom molds to deliver the R4 sound around my ear canal bend. But definitely worth a try...! Good luck.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #12,552 of 19,246
They didn't work out for me. I also have small ear canals. I jammed them in deep and it did feel weird, I never got the full bass you are supposed (and I crapped around for days with all the various tips - I bought a load of them) to no avail. Only by grabbing my ears and pulling them upwards did I get the full range sound - conclusion I have small ear canals with probably an unusual bend in them. I could tell they DO sound amazing (for the right ear shape) and I still may get a set of custom molds to deliver the R4 sound around my ear canal bend. But definitely worth a try...! Good luck.

Thanks, I hope you get to find what you are looking for too.

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #12,555 of 19,246
Let us know how they work out - curious how the 4SR compares to the Andromeda for you.

Andromeda is pretty much better in every way except maybe some midrange detail (SR is really boosted in this region) and isolation/fit/comfort.

I own(ed) both and interesting the Andromeda was sold because of comfort/seal issues. The Andromeda has an amazing soundstage and probably among the best treble extension I’ve ever heard though (check my post in Rank IEMs you’ve heard). If you want a cheaper Andromeda, the Comets are not a bad alternative. Inferior in every way but keeps the tonality of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back