If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #12,361 of 19,246
I try to love my HF5, but it's hard, because the fitlers so easily clog up with dirt and then there's no soudn anymore .. third time now. never had any earphone so annoyingl easily get defunct all the time requiring new filters :frowning2:

Get some tips with wax guards/filters. Like Shure olive tips.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #12,362 of 19,246
I try to love my HF5, but it's hard, because the fitlers so easily clog up with dirt and then there's no soudn anymore .. third time now. never had any earphone so annoyingl easily get defunct all the time requiring new filters :frowning2:

Keeping your ear canal clean and clean the eartips' bore frequently (preferably after each use), then the filter won't clogged up so easily. I never have a filter clogged up since I got mine ER4 some 8 years ago. I only replaced the filter a few months ago because I wanted to compare old vs. new filter (the process of taking it in and old eventually wore the plastic out).

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #12,363 of 19,246
Hi has anyone used custom tips and what difference do they make with the ex4xr
thanks

d

DSC_0130.jpg

I used a pair of Snug custom fit silicone tip from time to time. Can't say about ER4XR, but it sounds just a little brighter and fuller than tri-flanges on my ER4SR.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #12,365 of 19,246
i know what you mean, they disappear, is like a window to the music, but open one, i love my ER4S
Before I got into the audiophile world, I thought good audio equipment simply consisted of good bass and clear highs with minimal distortion. I thought my $80 pair of Sennheiser headphones was about the best there is for audio and spending more would simply be subject to the law of diminishing returns. I mean, it had a rich and full sound that was pleasing to the ear. It had bass. It had treble. It felt balanced.

However, I was still curious about what the next level of sound might be. I came to head-fi and was recommended a pair of the Etymotic ER4P.

The aha! moment that brought me in the world of audiophilia was experiencing transparency for the first time. This is a distinct perception of feeling like you're no longer listening to audio equipment where you merely hear sounds from two speakers in front of you or on the sides of your head, but rather you're *sonically teleported* into the recording. You're in a world where there are distinct instruments coming from their own sound source in various points in the stage in around you. With modern mixing technology, artists intricately layer together various soundscapes from all different acoustical environments, giving you layers of depth and width of sounds.

In contrast, before I went into the world of audiophilia, I listened to the melody, beat, the emotions in the voice, and/or the lyrics. But audiophile brought in this new dimension to music to me, literally, and that's space. Did I really truly enjoy music before being introduced to the audiophile world? Yes. Did I sit for hours completely being immersed into an album? Sure. But as an audiophile, the way I did so was different. What I pay attention to when I listen to music is different. My tastes in music drastically changed. I have an affinity to pieces where the artist really uses the spatial aspect of sound to express worlds of soundscapes. I find myself listening to all kinds of strange things, not necessarily because it's musical, but because it lets me *experience* a truly alien soundscape of sounds that slithers and shimmers all around me.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #12,367 of 19,246
Keeping your ear canal clean and clean the eartips' bore frequently (preferably after each use), then the filter won't clogged up so easily. I never have a filter clogged up since I got mine ER4 some 8 years ago. I only replaced the filter a few months ago because I wanted to compare old vs. new filter (the process of taking it in and old eventually wore the plastic out).

I strangely only have the issue with the HF5. I use UE TF10 since years and various others (optoma sports etc) .. none of them ever muted themselves due to a blocked filter .. but they all have a larger diameter. Will have to see .. the suggestion of an earbud with a guard is interesting, if i still like the sound.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #12,369 of 19,246
I had to move on from Etys this week. Impact wax in my right ear from constantly shoving these in. I flush my ears quite often but the issue eventually kept coming back. They need to come up with a more user friendly design as the deep insertion just feels outdated to me.
Get an endoscope earpick. They're dirt cheap now <$20 USD on amazon/ebay/aliexpress.
You'll clean out your ears perfectly super easily when you can get a clear view inside to do precision targeted scooping.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #12,371 of 19,246
I have a pair of SRs coming ( well, they’re in my letter to Santa). I don’t lament the lack of in-line mic or iPhone/Android controls; my primary purpose is to draw out the full experience of listening to music, so I’d rather not be interrupted in that!

However what I’d really like to have is an in-line box that would allow me not to have to pull out the headset in order to listen to someone, for example, a flight attendant or pilot announcement on a flight. Shure used to have a Push-To-Talk accessory (mentioned way back in this thread) that would mute the feed and mic in whatever external source you were needing to listen to, however I believe that’s long discontinued.

Short of finding the Shure unit on E-Bay, does anyone know of a comparable unit available on the market today?

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #12,372 of 19,246
I'm super tempted on jumping on the massdrop for the ER4SR but I got the ER3SE and I'm not sure it worth the money... What would you guys say?

Got an itch... :)

[Edit] I LOVE my ER3SE and use them 2-4h daily. Thats why im so tempted to step it up. [/Edit]

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #12,374 of 19,246
I'm super tempted on jumping on the massdrop for the ER4SR but I got the ER3SE and I'm not sure it worth the money... What would you guys say?

Got an itch... :)

[Edit] I LOVE my ER3SE and use them 2-4h daily. Thats why im so tempted to step it up. [/Edit]

This post may be the one you're looking for.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #12,375 of 19,246
I have no experience with the er3se or er4sr but I do own the er4xr and I think they are worth the full retail price , the massdrop price is a bargain.

I went for the er4xr because I really didn't want to wonder "What if...". I am sure it would eat me alive and I would end up just buying the higher unit eventually...These days though I have been wondering "What if I got the ER4SR...", but realistically I don't have the environment to use that kind of isolation anymore these days, which makes me quite sad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back