If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #12,166 of 19,246
If I were to guess, might have something to do with output impedance. Not sure about the output on the Pioneer, but on the iPhone SE it's about 1 Ohm or less if I remember correctly. While I won't say the ER4SR are especially sensitive IEMs, this might be one factor making a difference.
And yes, like @Voyageur said, the iPhones and iPods for that matter are actually really good players, contrary to what many audiophiles may be led to believe. Those Cirrus audio chips are actually quite decent.

Pioneer uses Sabre ESS if I'm not Wrong but I really don't like the sound. Opus #2 uses similar Sabre DAC yet sounds very different.
It's not what decoder chips use that determine the sound, it's how the whole implementation.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #12,167 of 19,246
I'm seriously considering selling my xr. my sr and s are just too good. i think i prefer the s still for most supreme sound, but not sure. they're so close. the sr is just more comfortable and easily driven...

I have the S, XR, & B
Since I don’t use EQ much, there are times depending on the source, amp, or recording when one model sounds best. As I get older, the B seems to get more use, especially for deciphering the lyrics on some recordings
Guess it’s “Horses for Courses”

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #12,168 of 19,246
Received my ER4XR replacement cable from @ClieOS, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

-Less microphonic.
-Doesn't get tangled up as easily in the pouch.
-Shorter. Much better on the go.
-Straight plug. Good for dongle users.
-Sounds the same as the stock cable.
-Better aesthetic if you like braided silver cables.
-More ergonomic due to longer MMCX connector making the earphone a bit longer. The stock cable connectors rub against my ears a bit. It sometimes causes discomfort.

Definitely worth checking one of his cables or something similar if the issues I mentioned above bother you.

I probably should have put on some fresh tips to make this pic look a little better, but I don't have any with me. I clean the tips fairly often but usually just the outside and not really underneath each flange.

C52BC08E-BB7E-465F-B898-E208A49F448A.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #12,169 of 19,246
Received my ER4XR replacement cable from @ClieOS, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

-Less microphonic.
-More ergonomic due to longer MMCX connector making the earphone a bit longer. The stock cable connectors rub against my ears a bit. It sometimes causes discomfort.

Definitely worth checking one of his cables or something similar if the issues I mentioned above bother you.

I probably should have put on some fresh tips to make this pic look a little better, but I don't have any with me. I clean the tips fairly often but usually just the outside and not really underneath each flange.

nice!
Just about to make a balanced one myself just waiting on parts.

Aug 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #12,170 of 19,246

-Less microphonic.

You got a pouch with your ER4XR? Mine didn't come with a pouch! :O

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #12,174 of 19,246
Has anybody used a Final Audio F series MMCX cable on the Etys? i'm not sure the Final Audio cables have a notch but they look better than the stock Ety cables and likely have less microphonics.

Been there, done that.

9949096.jpg

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #12,175 of 19,246
Good to see ER4 series got much love here and those very nice upgrade cables.
I personally have no issues with the stock cables and I really love those cables.

Aug 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #12,176 of 19,246
Larger case + pouch inside the case. Did you buy yours new?

Yes, bought it new online last February.
I only got the larger case. Maybe it's a new edition?
Looking through some older reviews, when they list the content everyone only talks about the larger case and how unpractical it is for carrying the ER4s...

https://headfonics.com/2017/01/the-er4xr-by-etymotic/

or

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/25-years-making-good-thing-better-etymotic-er4sr-and-er4xr <- Tyll even recommends Etymotics to add the pouch with the purchase.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #12,177 of 19,246
Good to see ER4 series got much love here and those very nice upgrade cables.
I personally have no issues with the stock cables and I really love those cables.

The stock cable actually produces almost perfect sound.

I got @ClieOS custom cable too and it should be arriving soon :) I'll let it and let everyone know how it sounds compare to stock (which are already great).

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #12,178 of 19,246
Yes, bought it new online last February.
I only got the larger case. Maybe it's a new edition?
Looking through some older reviews, when they list the content everyone only talks about the larger case and how unpractical it is for carrying the ER4s...

https://headfonics.com/2017/01/the-er4xr-by-etymotic/

or

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/25-years-making-good-thing-better-etymotic-er4sr-and-er4xr <- Tyll even recommends Etymotics to add the pouch with the purchase.

My ER4SR came with a small pouch same as in the above post with the replacement cable review. It's actually really convenient to carry the ER4SR around and can fit easily in the jean pocket.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #12,180 of 19,246
My ER4XR also came with only the larger case. That smaller case looks like the one that I received with my ER4PT. It's a nice size for travel. Just enough space for the ER4, extra tips and an airline adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back