If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #12,181 of 19,246
Any interest in mic+remote cable for the SR/XR? I am thinking of experimenting on both Android as well as Lightning version that are based on various FiiO's MMCX cable.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #12,182 of 19,246
hmm... after listening to ER4XR about 2 weeks... hmm... hmm.. and now i am listening back to UERM... hmm hmm.. I would like to say that still the UERM better to my ears...

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #12,183 of 19,246
Any interest in mic+remote cable for the SR/XR? I am thinking of experimenting on both Android as well as Lightning version that are based on various FiiO's MMCX cable.
Very interested. I use my IEMs on the go much of the time so the ability to take calls on them along with maybe volume control + pause/play is nice.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #12,184 of 19,246
I don't read Korean but some interesting info from the Seeko review (I'm guessing here). In terms of the BAs themselves:

SR: Knowles RAB-32063-000 (Datasheet: http://www.knowles.com/eng/content/...n/8/file/Receiver+Datasheet+RAB-32063-000.pdf)
XR: Knowles RAB-32257-000 (Datasheet: http://www.knowles.com/eng/content/...n/9/file/Receiver+Datasheet+RAB-32257-000.pdf)

Product page:

http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products...cations/RAB-series-balanced-armature-speakers
http://www.knowles.com/eng/Applicat...ing-aid-components/Balanced-Armature-Products

The SR BA is described as being "our smallest full-range driver with level response" and the XR BA is described as being "Our smallest full-range driver with tuned vent for warm, distinct bass and crystal clear treble." Looks like the the XR BA is vented whereas the SR one isn't.

An interesting note, it looks like moving from the ED series BAs in the ER4 to the RAB series BAs in the SR/XR, Etymotic has achieved from strong cost savings based on Mouser's pricing:

http://www.mouser.com/new/knowles/knowles-rab-armature-drivers/
RAB-32066-000

this model launched recently
135ohm impedance and 6KHz open reach(22kHz closed reached) with highest peak damping, but i cannot find the info on the vent... does it have one???

updated

it is non vented one

and compared to ED, are RAB better????

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #12,185 of 19,246
DSC_0131.jpg

New meets old, love them both.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #12,187 of 19,246
Beautiful. Nice work. Any tips on keeping the ones on the right side of the picture from falling off? I have the same cable. Love the sound! There is a little space and they are sometimes pulled out easily. Would heat shrink work?

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #12,188 of 19,246
Damn, I wish my ER4B cable (first batch) had this adaptor. The square shape doesn't look that nice.

I can probably squeeze the whole 4B circuit into this adapter but it will likely be a very difficult built, hence I am still not sure I am going to try it.

Beautiful. Nice work. Any tips on keeping the ones on the right side of the picture from falling off? I have the same cable. Love the sound! There is a little space and they are sometimes pulled out easily. Would heat shrink work?

It will. You can also bend the pins slightly so it has a very small angle, which helps to grip the earpiece.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #12,189 of 19,246
DSC_0133.jpg

Mod'ed from the new FiiO MMCX cable. Remote+mic works perfectly fine on my Sony Xperia XZP. Will try to build one with Lightning connector as well as Type-C.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #12,190 of 19,246

Mod'ed from the new FiiO MMCX cable. Remote+mic works perfectly fine on my Sony Xperia XZP. Will try to build one with Lightning connector as well as Type-C.

that looks sweeeet. a regular headphone connector with iphone compatibility would be awesome. especially if it had a way to work on non remote devices.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #12,191 of 19,246
that looks sweeeet. a regular headphone connector with iphone compatibility would be awesome. especially if it had a way to work on non remote devices.

Haven't tried it but this particular cable's play/pause center bottom and mic should work with iPhone. Volume control however probably won't. I am still looking for a cable with Lightning connector to mod but my primary target, the new FiiO Lightning cable, has just run out of stock everywhere. The AAW Capri will also do but it will double the cost. So far I haven't found any good Type-C cable to mod as well.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #12,193 of 19,246
Looks like the consensus here is that the er4s is better than es4r but just harder to drive.

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #12,195 of 19,246
I prefer the low end reproduction of the SR over the S, sounds better controlled and faster to me. Also, cable microphonics is horrendous on the S, thank goodness Ety improved the cable noise on the SR/XR
And I thought the 4sr cable was already microphonic so the original 4s cable is worse eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back