If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 26, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #12,063 of 19,246
what are everyone's thoughts on the er4sr vs er4s/pt? i'm in a dilemma since the er4s/pts are quite cheap nowadays brand new, around ~200. is it worth the price difference since the sr's are never below $350.
I'm a little late on this, but here's my perspective. I've had ER-4S since 2002 and it became and stayed my "reference sound" nearly all that time, while others came and went. That's a decade and a half now! So IMO it's really, really good. If you fundamentally like the Ety sound, you won't go wrong with it even though it's not the newest.

I also have an ER4-SR now, and I think it is even better. I'd describe it as literally an improved ER-4S, and I do prefer it. Looking upward in this thread, not everyone agrees with that, and some like the ER-4S a little more, at least for some purposes.

If cost is an object, I'd say go with the ER-4S. If it's not, I'd recommend the ER4-SR. Both are just great.

Both, IMO, "need an amp" and will pretty vividly reflect the capabilities of the upstream electronics. Yes the ER4-SR is easier to drive in the sense that you can get more volume out of it from a laptop or phone audio jack, but I don't find it to sound particularly good this way. (FWIW I find this to be true even of the hf3 and hf5, which "should" be silly easy to drive but which improve shockingly with an amp (do try it, if you have one of these).)

FWIW by this point I have three ER-4Ss, of varying age. All are still going strong. I've replaced the cable on one with an aftermarket cable that's a little shorter, for less awkward portable use. My SR generally stays at home, and the recabled 4S goes on my portable DAP. Something like that might work for you also if you start with the 4S and later decide to add an SR.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #12,064 of 19,246
Hi everyone, has anyone heard both the Etymotic ER3SR and ER4SR? I'm very curious how the two compare as there are very few online comparisons. Cheers!

i have comparisons on my YouTube channel youtube.com/dentreviews

Jul 26, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #12,065 of 19,246
Finally tried the ER4XR and SR side by side. It's surprising how similar they sound while being noticeably differnt

Does SR sounds better to u or the XR?

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #12,066 of 19,246
Well I'm finally replacing my faulty er4xr (only owned for about an hour) and should be here tomorrow so they will get some proper ear time this weekend , can't wait to realy give this a proper session and see how they stack up.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #12,068 of 19,246
I personally like the SR more because it’s cleaner. The XR’s mid-bass is boosted by a little too much.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #12,070 of 19,246
DSC_0127.JPG

Just finish building this 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable for a fellow countryman.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #12,071 of 19,246

Just finish building this 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable for a fellow countryman.

Are you thinking of selling these cables? :)

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #12,072 of 19,246
Well I finally picked up my replacement er4xr yesterday after owning for 5 mins as the last pair had a fault and I have to say I'm really pleased with them they got to be one of the cleanest iems I have heard, the clarity is absolutely crystal with definitely no muddiness and lovely detail. They took a bit of experimenting with tips and small flange seem the best for my ears they seemed to produce the most balanced sound overall.
Never owned any etys before but was intrigued for a while and now a very happy headfier here, truly one of the better iem purchases for a while.

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #12,073 of 19,246
Well I finally picked up my replacement er4xr yesterday after owning for 5 mins as the last pair had a fault and I have to say I'm really pleased with them they got to be one of the cleanest iems I have heard, the clarity is absolutely crystal with definitely no muddiness and lovely detail. They took a bit of experimenting with tips and small flange seem the best for my ears they seemed to produce the most balanced sound overall.
Never owned any etys before but was intrigued for a while and now a very happy headfier here, truly one of the better iem purchases for a while.

Once you own one, it’ll never leave the collection haha.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #12,074 of 19,246
Once you own one, it’ll never leave the collection haha.

I don't honestly think they will.
lovely with mojo and x7ii/am3a although I think the mojos power and slight warmth makes them very slightly more bodied and gives them a ever so slight edge although marginal....like them both with this great iem, my only regret is I didn't try them sooner.

Jul 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #12,075 of 19,246
I don't honestly think they will.
lovely with mojo and x7ii/am3a although I think the mojos power and slight warmth makes them very slightly more bodied and gives them a ever so slight edge although marginal....like them both with this great iem, my only regret is I didn't try them sooner.

I can confirm Mojo or Cayin N5ii + ER4 is a great combo. Gives it the much needed warmth and body while retaining clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back