If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #11,986 of 19,254
You can also torture yourself a little here!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ultimate-ears-ue-pro-reference-remastered-uerr.788168/

I hung out there for a while before thinking about how much my wife would kill me if I spent that much on a pair of IEMs!

Haha..having doubts now :wink:

EFFB08E2-DA49-4595-B871-E044BD1D4E1F.jpeg

Hard to beat this combo for SQ and probability unless you go full BT.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #11,987 of 19,254
The Andro's FR and timbre is very much different from ER4SR. I do not get the suggestion at all.

UERR has a downward sloping FR. Treble is very much laidback compared to er4sr. Warm in tonality with decent subbass extension. Still quite technically capable (imo its technical abilities are a notch above) but it sounds way different from er4sr due to tuning.

The closest I have heard to the ER4SR would be the Canal Works L05QD2. The FR for L05QD2 is pretty much the same (from 50hz to 2000Hz) but deviates from the ER4SR in the treble region where it has a treble lift and extension. Listen to the CW L05QD2 side by side and you'll find that the ER4SR is slightly warm and even muddy, which proves the techicalities of the CW.

Some other close contenders would be the Hidition NT6, UERM (discontinued), Dita Fidelity (v-shaped; similar tonality). PP8 has similar measurements but I have never heard it so I cannot comment...yet.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #11,989 of 19,254
The Andro's FR and timbre is very much different from ER4SR. I do not get the suggestion at all.

UERR has a downward sloping FR. Treble is very much laidback compared to er4sr. Warm in tonality with decent subbass extension. Still quite technically capable (imo its technical abilities are a notch above) but it sounds way different from er4sr due to tuning.

The closest I have heard to the ER4SR would be the Canal Works L05QD2. The FR for L05QD2 is pretty much the same (from 50hz to 2000Hz) but deviates from the ER4SR in the treble region where it has a treble lift and extension. Listen to the CW L05QD2 side by side and you'll find that the ER4SR is slightly warm and even muddy, which proves the techicalities of the CW.

Some other close contenders would be the Hidition NT6, UERM (discontinued), Dita Fidelity (v-shaped; similar tonality). PP8 has similar measurements but I have never heard it so I cannot comment...yet.

yeah, andros are nothing like the etys (i have both).

UERM is the "improved" Ety, UERR is not, it's a lot more laid back.

Since you have the Bravados and reside in TO, you should listen to the EE Spartan as well as the EVR or ESR, they would be more ety like than either the UERR or Andro

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #11,990 of 19,254
I simply cannot find anything which can compete with my ER4B for serious listening. Though I have lots of other IEMs which cost a lot more (The CA Atlas for example), for me they´re more for fun listening.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #11,991 of 19,254
yeah, andros are nothing like the etys (i have both).

UERM is the "improved" Ety, UERR is not, it's a lot more laid back.

Since you have the Bravados and reside in TO, you should listen to the EE Spartan as well as the EVR or ESR, they would be more ety like than either the UERR or Andro

I've listened to the ESR and EVR. The ESR is actually one of the best values in iems imo. The separation is something else for its price. Comparing them both to Ety ER4SR:

ESR: Warm and bassier. Vocals are not as forward. Clarity loses out to etys. It's strength lies more in its technical ability rather than its FR - the instrumental separation and layering is beautiful.

EVR: Less bassy and slightly brighter tuning compared to ESR. Vocals are quite in-your-face. Decent clarity (not as good as ER4SR) and vocals tend to have a warm tilt. But its technical ability is nowhere as good as the ESR.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #11,992 of 19,254
sorry if it had been answered before but I was unable to find a good and direct answer through the 800 pages of this thread...

I am just wondering if ER4S or ER4SR would benefit or suffer from crossfeed plugins? esp. for pro / amatuer mixing & mastering works and studio referencing

I am a newbie in mixing and mastering music and cans or any headphones are notorious for inaccuracy due to the lack of proper stereo imaging and crossfeeding, which severely affect the usability of headphones / cans for even simple and rough mixes. This major difference between them and loudspeakers also cause their frequency response to differ vastly.

I really like the accuracy of ER4s but afraid that crossfeeding plugins would mess up the whole thing and cause horrible tilts in frequency response

Thanks a million in advance, any response is welcomed!!

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #11,993 of 19,254
There should be a help group. ER4SR ruined a lot of earphones for me. Everything else sounds so muddy and dark.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #11,994 of 19,254
for those who want to squeeze the last drop or bass from their etys without ruining its clarity, combining the red filter with westone's long stem silicone star tips.

a nice side effect is increased comfort over the triple flange tip as they are less rigid.

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #11,996 of 19,254
There should be a help group. ER4SR ruined a lot of earphones for me. Everything else sounds so muddy and dark.

in a positive look, it really held back my urge to buy new things.. some things still slips through and chip away my wallet, but at a substantially slower speed than when i haven't have my Etys

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #11,998 of 19,254
Edit: whoops, need to refine my thoughts a bit!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #11,999 of 19,254
I did some comparing with my old HF5 and the new ER3XR, I would summarize it as follows, plus being accentuation and 0 being flat. I had them both with the large triples, though bear in mind that the ER3XR has new filters while the HF5 has been kicking around for a while

HF5––– SUB + LOWS 0 MIDS + HIGH-MIDS 0 HIGHS +
ER3XR SUB 0 LOWS + MIDS 0 HIGH-MIDS + HIGHS +

The HF5 is a little more mid-forward with a more defined kick on the low end thanks to a slight dip between the lowest end and the low-mids. ER3XR tends to muddle it up a little bit on the lowest-mids, especially with things like reverberations of bowed string instruments, the effect is a less defined kick which hurts the rhythm at times. ER3XR feels more articulate and resolving with accentuated high-mids and well extended highs that lend them a bright character. HF5 in comparison is a little more forgiving with details, at times rendering more pleasant mids, especially with singers and instruments of higher registers.

Subjectively, I'm annoyed by the 100hz muddle of the ER3XR and prefer the slightly forward mid presentation of the HF5.

In terms of build, the ER3XR is light years ahead with the all metal housings and a better cable. They also allow deeper insertion as the cable bend is 3/16" further out compared to the non-removable cabling of the HF5. The ER3XR cable is less sticky and 100% kink free. It also has a well molded 90 degree connector with a more robust gold plated jack.

Shoutout to Wiredforless for excellent customer service, I highly suggest going to them for your etymotic needs rather than the faceless giants like Amazon.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #12,000 of 19,254
Hey guys,

If you want an upgrade to the ER4SR, get the Campfire Andromeda. I can confirm :)

Wider soundstage, much better sub-bass and also smoother layering.

Not selling my ER4SR though. I still think it’s the neutral baseline and has the best vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back