If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #11,971 of 19,252
^
Now you need Poly. :wink:

I’ve heard there’s a lot of problems with it and frustration so I’m going to pass until they release a new version. The retail store I go to tells me Chord is a good hardware company and specializes in it but are not experienced with software.

Skip poly and buy a shanling MO tiny transport at a 5th of the price.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #11,973 of 19,252
Hi all,

Is there any way to tell which driver barrel is left or right on the ER4, or are they identical? I may have separated them from a broken cable whilst waiting for a replacement without marking which is which...

Thanks for your help!
note that it probably doesn't matter and the initial choice of which would go left was most likely made arbitrarily anyway. you will still have the left channel music going into the cable plug with the L on it. so long as you follow that, all is good.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #11,974 of 19,252
I just got a pair of the ER3XR from Massdrop. They replace a couple pairs of worn out Klipsch X-10’s which I have used for a decade or more. These were purchased primarily for listening in noisy environments. They isolate as well or better than the X-10’s and the treble and instrument sound and separation is superior. I like the foam tips the best. They sound the best. I have a nice set of Audio 64 U6’s which are my reference IEM’s but I can’t fault these for what they do. Really happy. Nice surprise. The MD price was excellent too.

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #11,975 of 19,252
So I just got a Cayin N5ii which sounds great with the ER4SR.

Does anyone know of an “upgrade” to the ER4SR? It just sounds so resolving and flat. Really relaxing. Budget would be around $1000 or so.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #11,977 of 19,252

Does anyone know of an “upgrade” to the ER4SR? It just sounds so resolving and flat. Really relaxing. Budget would be around $1000 or so.

Often heard that the UERR is the direct upgrade to the ER4s. The universal one I tried sounded really nice and life like, but I would get a custom version since it is the same price.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #11,978 of 19,252

Inear Prophile 8? But it's a bit over 1000 usd though

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #11,979 of 19,252
How deep should Ety's be inserted? Very concerned about the (eventual) shape of my ear canals esp since I've got the Ety's on for long periods of time in the office.
I wear mine all the way in, so that the bend of the connector is against my earlobe. But note, this is a comfortable depth for me: with the standard tri-flanges this is pretty much exactly where I get a proper seal.

I've been wearing them this way since 2002 or so, and have not been harmed by it so far as I can tell.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #11,984 of 19,252
Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

I’m going to look into the Campfire Andromedas and UERR as they’re more accessible where I live. I can return them if they don’t suit my needs.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #11,985 of 19,252
Mine go in deeper with the triple flanges but sound better (better seal) with the foams.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

I’m going to look into the Campfire Andromedas and UERR as they’re more accessible where I live. I can return them if they don’t suit my needs.

You can also torture yourself a little here!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ultimate-ears-ue-pro-reference-remastered-uerr.788168/

I hung out there for a while before thinking about how much my wife would kill me if I spent that much on a pair of IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back