If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #11,701 of 19,246
I'm sure there will no such issues as the new ER4SR/XR have metal nozzle.

Yes it looks like that issue has improved with the new models. That was a problem on an older pair.(I’ve had 3 different pairs over the years).
The problem I have now is the jack plug is worn,so the sound keeps cutting out unless you get it in just the right place!

I was wondering if anyone knows about changing just the cable part like the one I linked above.

The new cable is on its way now anyway,so I’ll see how it goes I guess..

Mar 28, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #11,702 of 19,246
Hi guys, my beloved er4s have started to break at the connector. I don't have the money to buy new ones at the moment, but then i saw this replacement cable (that i can afford) on eBay!...Anyone tried these things?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-8-c...hash=item1a3022aa69:m:muFngQWXpXQ89lUXFUvmrRQ

Which option would you go for copper or silver?
I once replaced a cable on my old er4p years ago, it was tricky to get the old ones out, but doable..Any advice would be much appreciated.

Note that many of these cables for the original ER4 (P/S/B) has no resistors (or in the case of ER4B, resistors and capacitors) inside to correctly tune them to the right sound. If you buy these cable, you will end up lowering your ER4S (about 100ohm) to less than 10ohm, and it will sound a lot like an ER4P, but with even less treble and a little more bass. If you want the correct sound for ER4S, get this instead: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5656

Mar 28, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #11,703 of 19,246
Note that many of these cables for the original ER4 (P/S/B) has no resistors (or in the case of ER4B, resistors and capacitors) inside to correctly tune them to the right sound. If you buy these cable, you will end up lowering your ER4S (about 100ohm) to less than 10ohm, and it will sound a lot like an ER4P, but with even less treble and a little more bass. If you want the correct sound for ER4S, get this instead: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5656
Oh wow, thats perfect!-Cheaper than the other one aswell. Thanks very much for that.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #11,704 of 19,246
On the stock cables aren't the resistors in the y-splits? If this is the case a basic jack is fairly easy to replace, if you can't solder a local electronics repair shop can probably do this for you, though you may have to supply the part.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #11,705 of 19,246
On the stock cables aren't the resistors in the y-splits? If this is the case a basic jack is fairly easy to replace, if you can't solder a local electronics repair shop can probably do this for you, though you may have to supply the part.
Im not sure actually,haha that probably would have been easier. Oh well I have the new cable ordered now so may as well go down that route instead and see what happens..
Hopefully it will be ok!

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #11,706 of 19,246
I purchased a pair of EX4XR from an online retailer and it was defective upon shipment. The right earphone was significantly lower volume than the left earphone.

The retailer helped me get a RMA and I'll be sending it back to Etymotic in the US for a replacement. I live in Canada and the retailer offered to reimburse my international shipping charges.

I'm hoping it goes well and the replacements will be defect free. I was very disappointed to pay CAD450 for these earphones and have this happen :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #11,707 of 19,246
Who are the currently recommended makers for custom fit earpieces? I see the list of folks who make the molds, but don't see the list of folks who turn the molds into the earpieces... Also, among those who create custom earpieces, who is recommended?

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #11,708 of 19,246
Who are the currently recommended makers for custom fit earpieces? I see the list of folks who make the molds, but don't see the list of folks who turn the molds into the earpieces... Also, among those who create custom earpieces, who is recommended?

If you mean the partner list on the Ety website, according to the FAQ the audiologist that takes the molds makes their own arrangements for the fabrication, so depends on the business.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #11,709 of 19,246
I have some earpieces from Snugs, and they're very good. I recommend them, but they're somewhat expensive. If you follow them on social media you may be able to catch them at a show, where there will often be a discount or free scanning (they prefer noninvasive scanning over traditional ear impressions).

I have some earlier ones from ACS, but they don't seem to offer this service any more. And I have some even earlier ones ( > 10 years ago) from Westone, also very good, however with Westone you needed to specify the material and I didn't know at the time how much SQ would depend on my choice of material (the stiffer the better as it turned out; my soft silicone ones were comfy but my "water-clear" hard silicone ones sounded much better).

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #11,710 of 19,246
If you mean the partner list on the Ety website, according to the FAQ the audiologist that takes the molds makes their own arrangements for the fabrication, so depends on the business.
Alternatively, if you identify a fabricator that you prefer, they can supply a list of partner audiologists.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #11,711 of 19,246
I purchased a pair of EX4XR from an online retailer and it was defective upon shipment. The right earphone was significantly lower volume than the left earphone.

The retailer helped me get a RMA and I'll be sending it back to Etymotic in the US for a replacement. I live in Canada and the retailer offered to reimburse my international shipping charges.

I'm hoping it goes well and the replacements will be defect free. I was very disappointed to pay CAD450 for these earphones and have this happen :frowning2:

Sad to hear!
Just curious did you take a picture of the included channel balance graphs? Would be interesting to see.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #11,712 of 19,246
Consumer Alert !!!

I own an older Etymotic model the ER6i. (and I love their sound)

Anyone considering a purchase of Etymotic IEMs should be aware that the company does not support older versions of their products, essentially rendering them obsolete. This has everything to do with their proprietary filters.

The filters exist to prevent your earwax from entering the driver which produces the sound. Human ears naturally produce a type of wax called cerumen. The cerumen eventually plugs the filter killing the sound. New purchases usually include an extra set of filters but when these become occluded you must rely on the company to offer replacements. The filters are extremely small pieces of plastic with a paper-like cover that captures the cerumen.

Once Etymotic stops offering the filter for the specific model of IEM there are no other sources available. Hence, your lovely Etymotic IEM goes into the trash (company policy) even though the drivers, etc. are functioning perfectly. The business model of planned obsolescence eventually kicks-in and older versions are replaced by newer versions.

I am very disappointed that the Etymotic does not continue providing filters for their legacy products, which would only cost pennies.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #11,714 of 19,246

Someone recommended Custom Art in poland for custom ear tips. No idea if they had them back or not, but can recommend CA on customer service alone if that helps?

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #11,715 of 19,246
Consumer Alert !!!

I own an older Etymotic model the ER6i. (and I love their sound)
I am very disappointed that the Etymotic does not continue providing filters for their legacy products, which would only cost pennies.

This is kinda unfounded.

ER6i has been discontinued for many years now, and I recall Etymotic did continue to sell ER6i's filters for awhile after it was discontinued and probably only stop when all the old stock ran out. Though the filter itself might be cheap, opening up a new production line is definitely not, so it makes no financial sense to do such thing. Also, throwing out an ER6i just because of some dirty filter is kinda wasteful. The filter can be cleaned by submerging it into hydrogen peroxide solution for a short period of time. Even without the filter, you can still put some loose foam into the bore and it will function normally while stopping ear wax from going in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back