If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #11,671 of 19,249
First, I misread your original question. If you're only looking for a DAP to use as a digital source for your Mojo, then (as others have said) I don't suppose it really will matter much what DAP you use.

But for standalone use, without a Mojo:
  • M1: I have not heard it.

• M2s:
    • ER4-SR:
      To me it just doesn't sound good with M2s. I expect my Etys to sound good, and when the equipment driving them isn't up to the job, it really shows (not just with DAPs but with amps as well — but maybe this just reflects my particular taste). ER4-SR with M2s is just boring and ordinary; it doesn't have the clarity/perfection/insight that Etys can provide.
      (I'm sorry if that's not the "the bass is this way and the treble is that way and the headstage is like this" kind of description that we're accustomed to seeing in reviews, but that just isn't the way my perception works. How I perceive it is that my Etys sound mushy and boring and aren't a clean window into the performance any more.)

• ER-4S:
      With ER-4S, the M2s is tolerable. Still not great, but I could stand it.
    • hf5 (just as one more data point)
      In my opinion, not good on M2s. (But I'm someone who thinks the "easy-to-drive" hf series really suffers when not properly amped, and is pretty excellent when properly amped, so my opinion is atypical.)
  • M3s:
    I like it a lot with all of the above.
But I think you were interested in running an ER4-XR, right? For that one I can't really provide anything from direct experience.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #11,672 of 19,249
I am headed towards the purchase of a pair of the XRs however I note the big red statement on Etymotic Research's website regarding the fact that both the SR and the XR are out of stock:

***ER4SR and ER4XR are currently out of stock. Email customer service for additional information on this product at: customer-service@etymotic.com

Availability: Out of stock

Obviously I could order through Amazon, but does anyone know what's going on? it seems a bit unusual to have both the XR and the SR out of stock at the same time, though it could be a supply/manufacturing issue. I suppose I'm a tad concerned that either there's an upgrade in the wings or a recall...

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #11,674 of 19,249
I am headed towards the purchase of a pair of the XRs however I note the big red statement on Etymotic Research's website regarding the fact that both the SR and the XR are out of stock:

***ER4SR and ER4XR are currently out of stock. Email customer service for additional information on this product at: customer-service@etymotic.com

Availability: Out of stock

Obviously I could order through Amazon, but does anyone know what's going on? it seems a bit unusual to have both the XR and the SR out of stock at the same time, though it could be a supply/manufacturing issue. I suppose I'm a tad concerned that either there's an upgrade in the wings or a recall...

Just thought I'd chime in to comment that, in this particular case, out of stock does not indicate either an upgrade or a recall; it's just a stock shortage. There should be more in the pipeline shortly.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #11,675 of 19,249
I was wondering will the ER4B ever be release in the new format?

At this point, I'm not sure. The ER4B is sort of an outlier. It has some very dedicated fans, but it's a bit of a low runner. We're still making them as they've always been, but I'm not sure what the long term plan is for it at this point.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #11,677 of 19,249
@EtyDave, is there any sort of timeline (e.g. "in production" vs. "someday" vs. "possibly never") for availability of ER3 cables as separate accessories? I keep wanting a shorter cable for my ER4-SR...

I'm not actually sure, but I'll post when I find out.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #11,678 of 19,249
At this point, I'm not sure. The ER4B is sort of an outlier. It has some very dedicated fans, but it's a bit of a low runner. We're still making them as they've always been, but I'm not sure what the long term plan is for it at this point.

In my opinion my er4b is probably the least "listenable" er series phone that i have (i have them all). However, they do sound good with really well recorded music and binaural type nature recordings. However, even then I think the target response is a bit bright.

however, however... if you put the orange filters on them they sound pretty awesome. i won't say that they're better than the er4s, but they are very very similar response with just a bit more treble and treble extension. so if you ever find the er4s not airy enough, this might satisfy you greatly.

otherwise, i really find the er4sr/er4s to still be the gold standards. something with just a bit more low low bass boost would be amazing though. either an er4sr with more sub bass, or an er4b/er4xr mix. maybe an er4b based on the bass of the er4xr damped down woth the orange filter. basically a slightly brighter er4sr with slightly more bass. like an ever so gently U shaped er4. that would sound very nice...

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #11,680 of 19,249
In my opinion my er4b is probably the least "listenable" er series phone that i have (i have them all). However, they do sound good with really well recorded music and binaural type nature recordings. However, even then I think the target response is a bit bright.

however, however... if you put the orange filters on them they sound pretty awesome. i won't say that they're better than the er4s, but they are very very similar response with just a bit more treble and treble extension. so if you ever find the er4s not airy enough, this might satisfy you greatly.

otherwise, i really find the er4sr/er4s to still be the gold standards. something with just a bit more low low bass boost would be amazing though. either an er4sr with more sub bass, or an er4b/er4xr mix. maybe an er4b based on the bass of the er4xr damped down woth the orange filter. basically a slightly brighter er4sr with slightly more bass. like an ever so gently U shaped er4. that would sound very nice...
If you are using the plastic sonion filters then you're cool. But if you use the knowles metal filter then you have some problem. The actual filter in the knowles one is at different position as the sonion. Thus causing the acoustic housing to change resulting in more energy at 10k, which is like a peak. not very good. You can either placing them filter outwards or just get a sonion one.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #11,681 of 19,249
If you are using the plastic sonion filters then you're cool. But if you use the knowles metal filter then you have some problem. The actual filter in the knowles one is at different position as the sonion. Thus causing the acoustic housing to change resulting in more energy at 10k, which is like a peak. not very good. You can either placing them filter outwards or just get a sonion one.

I'm using plastic filters from etymotic.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #11,683 of 19,249
It really depends, maybe is a good word here.

How do you feel about the ER4SR you already have so far?

Amazing clarity, flat frequency and isolation which even my Andromeda can't match. Sometimes I wish for a little more bass when I'm listening to electronic, hip hop or rock music when I'm outdoor. I'm pretty fine listening to these genres when I'm indoor with the ER4SR though.

I'm thinking of getting the ER4XR for that or go for something like UERM but doubt that the isolation will be anywhere as good.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #11,684 of 19,249
Amazing clarity, flat frequency and isolation which even my Andromeda can't match. Sometimes I wish for a little more bass when I'm listening to electronic, hip hop or rock music when I'm outdoor. I'm pretty fine listening to these genres when I'm indoor with the ER4SR though.

I'm thinking of getting the ER4XR for that or go for something like UERM but doubt that the isolation will be anywhere as good.

if you want a little more bass, I say you should try ER4-XR, they should have a bit more than ER4-SR, and they are also the quality Etyomotic sports with their ER4 series :)

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #11,685 of 19,249
I have an ER4SR, should I still get the ER4XR?
I would recommend er3xr with a PtoS adapter or er4xr with the adapter. With the adapter it increases 2.7k to the level of er4sr and add more high treble and top end. With the bass from the vent, that will sound really good closest to speakers. I have er4xr sr and the ptos adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back