If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 26, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #11,690 of 19,246
I have my 4erxr for about 6 months, recently I've been getting an off centered sound, my right channel seems to be softer which makes the imaging off by a bit the center goes to me left.. I changed the filter recently and maybe I missed something? I followed the steps correctly..

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #11,691 of 19,246
I have my 4erxr for about 6 months, recently I've been getting an off centered sound, my right channel seems to be softer which makes the imaging off by a bit the center goes to me left.. I changed the filter recently and maybe I missed something? I followed the steps correctly..
could it be the way you insert them? with my ears, I have go about as far as is possible, then I have to back down just a bit in my right ear or I end up blocking the output a little(ear canal bends&fun). when you switch side (left to right and vice versa) is the imbalance following the IEM?
maybe if your cable was about to die, you could also end up with a change in impedance and volume level I guess... you could try to unplug the drivers and invert them. same game, is the imbalance going with the cable side or is it following the driver instead?

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #11,692 of 19,246
could it be the way you insert them? with my ears, I have go about as far as is possible, then I have to back down just a bit in my right ear or I end up blocking the output a little(ear canal bends&fun). when you switch side (left to right and vice versa) is the imbalance following the IEM?
maybe if your cable was about to die, you could also end up with a change in impedance and volume level I guess... you could try to unplug the drivers and invert them. same game, is the imbalance going with the cable side or is it following the driver instead?
Good point! I'll do this later and report back. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #11,693 of 19,246

Tried multiple sources? Do they sound balanced with the filters removed? Could they have been exposed to any type of moisture (sweat/humidity/condensation etc..) ? It can cause the filters to close up- I had this issue with ER4P causing channel imbalance. May also want to check all three cable terminations for oxidation (deoxit ftw).

I have had similar issue with longer multi-flange eartips having a weakness that causes the bore to fold/collapse when inserted.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #11,694 of 19,246
Ok guyssssss. I switch the iem from iem left and right. And it's back to the center. Super weird. Channel matching must be like that. I took out the iem from the cable and switched sides the cable still is left n right just the iem

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #11,695 of 19,246
Ok guyssssss. I switch the iem from iem left and right. And it's back to the center. Super weird. Channel matching must be like that. I took out the iem from the cable and switched sides the cable still is left n right just the iem

Only 2 possibility now...
1) Try to change to a different iems to see if the issue still persisted, if still got imbalanced issues, you might need to clear your ears canal.

2) your iem cable one side faulty, replace a cable

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #11,696 of 19,246
Only 2 possibility now...
1) Try to change to a different iems to see if the issue still persisted, if still got imbalanced issues, you might need to clear your ears canal.

2) your iem cable one side faulty, replace a cable
Other IEMs are fine... Maybe one of the connector was loose. I just made an ear impression, it was checked and no build up. I'll check with the dealer and see if he can verify it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #11,697 of 19,246
Hi guys, my beloved er4s have started to break at the connector. I don't have the money to buy new ones at the moment, but then i saw this replacement cable (that i can afford) on eBay!...Anyone tried these things?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-8-c...hash=item1a3022aa69:m:muFngQWXpXQ89lUXFUvmrRQ

Which option would you go for copper or silver?
I once replaced a cable on my old er4p years ago, it was tricky to get the old ones out, but doable..Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #11,698 of 19,246
Hi guys, my beloved er4s have started to break at the connector. I don't have the money to buy new ones at the moment, but then i saw this replacement cable (that i can afford) on eBay!...Anyone tried these things?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2m-8-c...hash=item1a3022aa69:m:muFngQWXpXQ89lUXFUvmrRQ

Which option would you go for copper or silver?
I once replaced a cable on my old er4p years ago, it was tricky to get the old ones out, but doable..Any advice would be much appreciated.
You will likely have to take that cable apart and solder in tiny resistors to make it an equivalent to er4p or er4s.
I think etymotic's replacement cable is cheaper than that. It is a bit of a wait, but contact them and send them in if you can live without them for several weeks. There are a couple Etymotic employees here. Etyheadrick (sp?) and etydave, respectively. Maybe they can help expedite.

I have a split in my cable and still use mine... Never had the heart to be without them for 4
weeks or so...still work fine. Split has been there for 3 years. I ran over them with an instrument case that has wheels in the middle of 7th ave. a traumatizing 10 seconds! Plenty of trains and planes later, they still protecting my ears and allowing me to listen to music at low volumes and still hear all of it.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #11,699 of 19,246
Agh,I wasn't sure if i would get any replies,so i took the plunge and bought the cable anyway. I knew i should have waited,Am slighly worried now!

I had an issue before with the nozzle part snapping off while changing the tips on an older pair but as i'm in the UK,when i contacted Etymotic they were saying that the shipping costs plus labour would make it all fairly expensive to repair,so i'm guessing it would be the same with this.

I know in the past i bought an aftermarket cable for my first er4p and was able to connect it without doing anything to it, just had to pull the pins out of the back and put the new ones in (easier said than done!) but not sure really. Is there more to it?

I know what you mean, i hate being without mine, i have had 3 pairs in total going back many years,i'll never forget that feeling when that nozzle bit snapped off!

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #11,700 of 19,246
Agh,I wasn't sure if i would get any replies,so i took the plunge and bought the cable anyway. I knew i should have waited,Am slighly worried now!

I had an issue before with the nozzle part snapping off while changing the tips on an older pair but as i'm in the UK,when i contacted Etymotic they were saying that the shipping costs plus labour would make it all fairly expensive to repair,so i'm guessing it would be the same with this.

I know in the past i bought an aftermarket cable for my first er4p and was able to connect it without doing anything to it, just had to pull the pins out of the back and put the new ones in (easier said than done!) but not sure really. Is there more to it?

I know what you mean, i hate being without mine, i have had 3 pairs in total going back many years,i'll never forget that feeling when that nozzle bit snapped off!
I'm sure there will no such issues as the new ER4SR/XR have metal nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back