If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #11,566 of 19,246
So I am taking back my claims a couple of days ago that the westone grey tips are perfect for 4sr. Earlier today I decided to fit back the white triple flange of etys and sure enough I have a more tight and full sounding bass compared to westone. I think I am going to stick with these flange again. :ksc75smile:

Westone Star tips are great but not for Ety-style insertion in my experience, no matter which tip length/width I chose (I tried the whole collection as I used to have the UM Pro 30 with all tips included).
Same experience with SpinFits, and others. Good, but not for deep insertion.

A few pages up I recall someone recommending the Shure black foams in S size. I second that, it's always been my tip of choice for the ER-4.
Good isolation, comfortable, very balanced and full sounding (actually the best "sounding" tip) with no loss of information. And last but not least, they're quite durable for foam tips.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #11,567 of 19,246
Westone Star tips are great but not for Ety-style insertion in my experience, no matter which tip length/width I chose (I tried the whole collection as I used to have the UM Pro 30 with all tips included).

A few pages up I recall someone recommending the Shure black foams in S size. I second that, it's always been my tip of choice for the ER-4.
Good isolation, comfortable, very balanced and full sounding (actually the best "sounding" tip) with no loss of information. And last but not least, they're quite durable for foam tips.[/QUO

Good isolation, comfortable, very balanced and full sounding (actually the best "sounding" tip) with no loss of information. And last but not least, they're quite durable for foam tips.
Are those tips included on all shure iem package? I have a friend with kse 1500 and might ask him if he has them.

Feb 11, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #11,568 of 19,246
shure black s are almost perfect for me - but just almost. after a few hours my ears will start to hurt a little, they are a bit to hard.
standard complys are softer and i can use them all day long.
bummer tho, shures seem to be much more durable then the complys.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #11,569 of 19,246
I found the Shure
EABKF1 Black Foam Sleeves S/M/L (5 pairs)
http://www.shure.eu/products/accessories/eabkf1-10

to be the perfect choice for my ER4-PT and my ER4XR. You can choose between small, medium or large, they are very comfortable and soft and, at the same time, provide good noise isolation, very deep insertion if you like so, very good durability. In my humble opinion better than Complys. I can wear them for hours without any kind of nuisance. Don't understand why Etymotic doesn't provide something close to these. I found myself very often using the filter removal tool to extract the broken champignon style eartips from my ears...

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #11,570 of 19,246
11466C44-DDCD-4594-A2B2-F63CD0ECDDDE.jpeg
So I have DIYed a tip from westone star tips to get the core and inserted a sony hybrid. The result sounds so close to the triple flange without the deep insertion. I am getting more consistent sound now even if I move without the shirt clip. :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #11,571 of 19,246
I left a small portion of the sleeves just to lock the sony hybrids in place to help avoid getting stuck in the ears when removing the earpieces.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #11,572 of 19,246
So I am taking back my claims a couple of days ago that the westone grey tips are perfect for 4sr. Earlier today I decided to fit back the white triple flange of etys and sure enough I have a more tight and full sounding bass compared to westone. I think I am going to stick with these flange again. :ksc75smile:
Yeah of course. But you can try comply ts100, shure olive and weston green stem small foam tips. These provide similar level of sound quality as tri flange.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #11,573 of 19,246
Yeah of course. But you can try comply ts100, shure olive and weston green stem small foam tips. These provide similar level of sound quality as tri flange.
I will start looking for those tips. Thanks

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #11,574 of 19,246
I found the Shure
EABKF1 Black Foam Sleeves S/M/L (5 pairs)
http://www.shure.eu/products/accessories/eabkf1-10

to be the perfect choice for my ER4-PT and my ER4XR. You can choose between small, medium or large, they are very comfortable and soft and, at the same time, provide good noise isolation, very deep insertion if you like so, very good durability. In my humble opinion better than Complys. I can wear them for hours without any kind of nuisance. Don't understand why Etymotic doesn't provide something close to these. I found myself very often using the filter removal tool to extract the broken champignon style eartips from my ears...
Another vote for the Shures. They are a little stiffer than the super soft Complys, but I can wear for hours. Shame that the Complys are so fragile (they just need a more resilient skin over their foam), but I got tired of replacing them so often. Anyway, my ears could never handle ANY of the tips Etymotic supplies. They're lucky I discovered the Complys years ago, or I'd not be an Ety owner! I'm surprised that they don't include a S/M/L selection of Comply's (they wouldn't include an IEM competitor like Shure's tips) in the box.. I imagine Comply would supply for free for the chance to include a sales page in the box.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #11,575 of 19,246
Are those tips included on all shure iem package? I have a friend with kse 1500 and might ask him if he has them.

Yes, they are included with all their IEM products, from the $99 SE215 to the super high end electrostatic KSE.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #11,576 of 19,246
Regarding the akg q701, i've spent a lot of time with them in the last few days. They are an interesting headphone. In a way I still believe they are very much a close "etymotic" type sound for a full size headphone, especially after I put some microfiber cloth over the vent foam in the earpieces to add a bit of bass and ever so slightly soften the sound. Overall, either way, they have a slightly brighter and raspier sound than the er4sr, and frankly I'm just blown away when I put the er4sr back in and it sounds like the akg, but with all of the frequency issues fixed... Not to say the q701 is bad, but the er4s is better :p

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #11,577 of 19,246
@luisdent, I'm curious, have you tried the Q701 with Sonarworks' correction? I see that it's on their list of supported headphones, and there's a trial version available. I found that the correction software made my K550 way more ety-like (still not an ety, but sooo much closer), and it seemed to improve my K702 noticeably as well, though I haven't yet spent much time with that combo.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #11,578 of 19,246
i love the phones, but the cables are crap. had to send back my first pair realy early due to cable issues (within 2 weeks). the second pair works fine till now, but one leg of the cable is about 1.5cm longer then the other. not a huge issue, but it shows something.
as said i love the phones, so i kept them. but that kind of cable quality is very hard to accept with headhpones at this price class.
you can do better etymocis. please do better.

1.5cm is a big difference in length between the left and right channels. Frankly, I think we should be held to a better standard that than, too. I would recommend contacting Rick in customer service. Let him know I sent you and we can figure something out from there. If you can send a photo showing the difference, that would help me as I want to point it out to some other folks.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #11,579 of 19,246
1.5cm is a big difference in length between the left and right channels.
so, i just checked and my memory fooled me. there is a difference, but its much smaller, less them 5mm. it never bothered me much so i noticed it when it arrived but never payed any more attention to it. i edited the post you quoted to correct my mistake.
well. i think i came through way to strong there. its just that my first cable failed at the same spot as where voyeurs cable failed. my second pair is perfectly fine so far however, maybe we both just got unlucky. still, a better bending protection at that spot might be useful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back