If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 3, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #10,516 of 19,254
@EtyDave Can I get an ER-4P cable replaced with an ER-4S one. I acquired a set of ER-4P's with a fraying cable and would like to send it in. I saw this was mentioned a bit earlier in this thread but never saw any confirmation.

I *think* so, but your best bet is to PM ETYHeadRick and ask him directly.  He's our man in Havana.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #10,517 of 19,254
So I got the XR's and have been doing a lot of A/B testing with my old standby 4P's. The difference is VERY subtle to me, but I can definitely hear a more pronounced bottom end. The sound takes some getting used to from the 4P - the XR's seem more "energetic" to me.

One thing I'm picking up on is that the XR's get a little sibilant with Comply P's... you would expect the opposite. But these guys seem to demand the tri-flanges. My 4P's, on the other hand, play well with Complys.

Question: has anyone here tried out different colored damping filters on the XR's? I've been using reds from Mouser in my 4P's, which I prefer to the standard greenies. Wonder if that would carry over...

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #10,518 of 19,254
the problem I see with the comply P is that I absolutely cannot go deep enough with the IEM. I use those tips for IEMs you can't insert deeply so that the long foam can and I get great isolation anyway. but with any etymotic, I need to go deeper to move some kind of resonance I get around 7 or 8khz some place where it doesn't bother me. maybe that's what you're experiencing?

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #10,519 of 19,254
Listening to the ER4S experience:

The aim is the get that long, hard barrel in the the hole for optima orgasm. You can choose to go in raw, but it is just to small to feel anything. Hence, silicon is used for getting the most pleasure out of it.

The first time is painful. After using it for close to a week, inserting gets easier and easier. You need to find the correct angle. A little adjusting will help. Once it is in, the holes will be filled with pleasure.The deeper you go, the more the pleasure. Of course some people prefer to use lube, but i do not find it necessary.

Once you get used to it, it becomes addictive. You will want it more and more. Although distanced, you will still think about it.

Now, you are its b*tch.

The End.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #10,522 of 19,254
My ears have adjusted to the XR's (or they've burned in, but im a skeptic). I now consider them to be an incremental improvement in sound quality over the already stellar 4Ps. They're my new favorite IEM's, but I almost wish they had just put the new drivers in the old body. The clip comes off too easily, and if those cables come unattached while they're in my ears (hasn't happened yet) I will be furious.

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #10,524 of 19,254
As a practical person, I get this.

The good thing is that, with a user replaceable cable, it does open up the possibility of us offering other cable options.  So for everybody, feel free to make suggestions.  I can't guarantee we'll be able to make each suggestion, but if there is enough demand for a particular configuration, it's certainly possible.  I know I already have a couple ideas bouncing around in my head. 

One thing I would love to see is a cable with a built in microphone, for cell phone use. With a removable cable, it seems like that would be feasible.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #10,527 of 19,254
Just wanted to give a quick update on the 4s and 4sr I have.

Just awesome all the way. It's nice to have an easier iem to drive (sr) with the same sound signature and accuracy of the 4s.

Great job, Ety. I gave a pair of 4sr to a friend who is a composer. Loves them!

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #10,528 of 19,254
Thanks to er4b, I discovered a serious physiological condition of mine... I cannot seem to get perfect symmetry of both sides, then I discovered if I open my mouth a little bit I can, so it is a problem of the clench of my teeth, which results in slight asymmetry of my check bones, then again results in different shape of my ear canals...

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #10,529 of 19,254
  Thanks to er4b, I discovered a serious physiological condition of mine... I cannot seem to get perfect symmetry of both sides, then I discovered if I open my mouth a little bit I can, so it is a problem of the clench of my teeth, which results in slight asymmetry of my check bones, then again results in different shape of my ear canals...

depending on the situation and your age, an orthodontist might be able to help. the tricky thing about this being that an orthodontist will almost always want to do something even when you probably shouldn't. to a hammer everything is a nail.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back