If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #9,631 of 19,246
Picked up the XR last week, and I'm finding them not as enjoyable as I thought I would. Mainly, just about every track in my library results in a horrible smearing of the entire frequency range when instruments come in together (mostly rock/indie/metal/electro). It's impossible to discern any type of detail from any instrument when the music gets going (one of the worst examples being Bonobo - Eyesdown), and the treble extension all but disappears, leaving cymbals and snare representation covered in a layer of mush. Sources used include Mojo, AK70, Bifrost Uber. Don't see anything on the included test sheet that would be an immediate pointer to the issue, but I think these will have to be returned. :frowning2:

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #9,632 of 19,246
Picked up the XR last week, and I'm finding them not as enjoyable as I thought I would. Mainly, just about every track in my library results in a horrible smearing of the entire frequency range when instruments come in together (mostly rock/indie/metal/electro). It's impossible to discern any type of detail from any instrument when the music gets going (one of the worst examples being Bonobo - Eyesdown), and the treble extension all but disappears, leaving cymbals and snare representation covered in a layer of mush. Sources used include Mojo, AK70, Bifrost Uber. Don't see anything on the included test sheet that would be an immediate pointer to the issue, but I think these will have to be returned. :frowning2:

I'm just curious to know what your previous point of reference was? I also use SE846 with brown Knowles dampers and KSE1500, and the XR doesn't match either, but then it is about 1/3rd the price of the SE846 and about 1/10th the price of the KSE1500. I couldn't say the XR wasn't enjoyable. It sounds like something's wrong.

It might be worth trying some different eartips. Foam tips can sometimes muddy the upper range, and if they're not prepared properly, they can partially fold over at the end, which might cause the type of effect you're hearing.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #9,633 of 19,246
I'm just curious to know what your previous point of reference was? I also use SE846 with brown Knowles dampers and KSE1500, and the XR doesn't match either, but then it is about 1/3rd the price of the SE846 and about 1/10th the price of the KSE1500. I couldn't say the XR wasn't enjoyable. It sounds like something's wrong.

It might be worth trying some different eartips. Foam tips can sometimes muddy the upper range, and if they're not prepared properly, they can partially fold over at the end, which might cause the type of effect you're hearing.

I've tried different tips and all methods of insertion, with multiple sources and a plethora or different music. I've had and enjoyed the SE215, SE535, Westone 30 and none of the aforementioned monitors have shown this type of behavior. Even the SE215 does separation better, so I feel I've either gotten a bad set or I have improper expectations.

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #9,634 of 19,246
I've tried different tips and all methods of insertion, with multiple sources and a plethora or different music. I've had and enjoyed the SE215, SE535, Westone 30 and none of the aforementioned monitors have shown this type of behavior. Even the SE215 does separation better, so I feel I've either gotten a bad set or I have improper expectations.

It sounds like you've received a bad set. I've owned the SE215 and the XR poop all over them, especially in the upper frequencies. (Don't expect a massively wide soundstage from an Ety though.)

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #9,635 of 19,246
It sounds like you've received a bad set. I've owned the SE215 and the XR poop all over them, especially in the upper frequencies. (Don't expect a massively wide soundstage from an Ety though.)

This is what I would expect, the SE215 are not anything stellar, but I am very familiar with them as they're my on-the-go set. I'm really disappointed, because at first blush the XR were very good... until I moved away from solo acoustic music.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #9,636 of 19,246
Update: have been playing around a bit more trying to see where the problem is. I've found that with shallower insertion and the foam tips, these sound more along the lines of what I would expect. I've never used the deep-insert triple-flange tips on anything before, and I think what may have been happening was a fold at the end of the tip -- they were inserted so deep that the connector was basically on my cheek, so it's possible this is all a case of user error. I still find the top end to be rolled off a bit much, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to the upper register, so this may be overblown compared to others' expectations.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #9,637 of 19,246
I just put in an order for the ER4XR, I'll update with impressions once they arrive, as well as a comparison with my Final F4100s.

@sub50hz
Damn, sorry to hear about that man. Nothing quite like being stoked for some IEMs, only to be let down. Based on Etymotic's reputation (and if the tips didn't fold over), I find it nearly impossible that the set you received is not faulty. Perhaps the eartips are folding over somehow in your ear canal (I know mine is a really weird shape, with christmas trees or foam tips it's definitely a possibility), or just a bad driver. I'd send em back for warranty, and see what the next pair sounds like.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #9,638 of 19,246
Update: have been playing around a bit more trying to see where the problem is. I've found that with shallower insertion and the foam tips, these sound more along the lines of what I would expect. I've never used the deep-insert triple-flange tips on anything before, and I think what may have been happening was a fold at the end of the tip -- they were inserted so deep that the connector was basically on my cheek, so it's possible this is all a case of user error. I still find the top end to be rolled off a bit much, but I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to the upper register, so this may be overblown compared to others' expectations.

Dunno why Ety seems to default to the small blue triflanges these days, but I'll recommend all new Ety user to immediately switch to the larger triflanges first, and only change it to small blue triflanges if you can't get a good fit.

Also, a tiny bit of baby lotion on the new triflanges will help it break in faster and give a more comfortable seal... or as I'll call it: if you haven't felt violated yet, you probably ain't using it correctly.

Oct 26, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #9,640 of 19,246
if we use cable that come from both newest etymotic can we get two signature with newest etymotic ?

Are you asking whether or not the XR can be turned into the SR just as it was possible to turn the PT into the S with an impedance adapter/switching cables? No this is not possible with the new models because the XR is using different drivers than the SR and there are no resistors in the cable anymore.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #9,641 of 19,246
Are you asking whether or not the XR can be turned into the SR just as it was possible to turn the PT into the S with an impedance adapter/switching cables? No this is not possible with the new models because the XR is using different drivers than the SR and there are no resistors in the cable anymore.

Switching cable I mean, assuming on its graph has similar body

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #9,642 of 19,246
Switching cable I mean, assuming on its graph has similar body

XR and SR usea the same cable. The difference between them is due to the difference in the new BA drivers they each used. So swapping cable between SR and XR will not change anything.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #9,643 of 19,246
Dunno why Ety seems to default to the small blue triflanges these days, but I'll recommend all new Ety user to immediately switch to the larger triflanges first, and only change it to small blue triflanges if you can't get a good fit.

Also, a tiny bit of baby lotion on the new triflanges will help it break in faster and give a more comfortable seal... or as I'll call it: if you haven't felt violated yet, you probably ain't using it correctly.

I had a weird ear canal, it's so many times I tried Etymotic's triple flange from standard sized transparent one to the other with white milk color didn't fit well and the tips usually will change it shape into my ear canal form, so I tried a third party triple flange with smallest size which allows me insert deeply

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #9,644 of 19,246
If simply switching the SR to XR cable can change the sound from SR to XR or vice versa then Etymotic shouldn't produce both the SR and XR versions. They should just produce a single ER4SXR and just sell different cables to change the sound signature 
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #9,645 of 19,246
So I got the ER4XR.  Great sound!

Quick question about the connectors.  They don't detach easily, but I can rotate them pretty easily (so in other words, the wire and the part directly connected to the worestays in place, but the part with the ER4xr logo and flange that goes in your ear can easily spin in a circle)... the notch does keep them in place well enough, so this isnt a problem without intentionally rotating it.  But at the same time, they do rotate past the notch and spin around without much effort, its not as if they are really "locked" in place.  So the question is, is this completely normal for this type of connector?  If so, then that isnt a problem on my end.  Just wondering.  Thanks...  and sorry for the extremely non-technical parts description.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back