If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 28, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #9,662 of 19,253
Hello, does anyone know the value of the two resistors in the Y split of the er4p's? Is it 25 ohm each or 18 ohm each? Trying to diy a new cable after I broke my current one haha.

Eats humble pie - retracted to avoid any confusion...

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #9,663 of 19,253
So the XR should suitable for mostly modern music?

it depends on what is your reference. let's not be delusional into thinking we know neutral, because only few amateurs have the means to know how that sounds like with our favorite albums. so our next best thing is how we feel and that is often conditioned by what we're used to. most IEMs have a boosted low end of about +4 to +10db(because of... reasons), even very hyped CIEMs. so if you come from one of those, you end up like me and feel like the er4SR or the old er4s were lacking in the low end(I whined about this soooo much a few years back). it's not Grado bad, because it's not like the frequencies are far down, but they're too quiet for me to get moved by the low end sounds on Tori Amos songs for example. on the other end, the piano and here voice are IMO, to die for on the SR. I end up EQing my SR a little in the sub and feel very fine with the result. for my personal taste, the XR might be a little too much because of how it starts boosting the low end so soon. I like my 200hz dead flat or even a little recessed. again, it's all about personal taste and experiences. but I imagine the XR to be the most likely preference for people who will not EQ anything, and simply for people who are used to IEMs with any kind of bass boost(so again, most people).

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #9,664 of 19,253
Hello, does anyone know the value of the two resistors in the Y split of the er4p's? Is it 25 ohm each or 18 ohm each? Trying to diy a new cable after I broke my current one haha.

The two resistors in the 4P are 18 ohms.  The overall impedance is nominally 27 ohms because of contributions from the driver and the cable.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #9,666 of 19,253
Got the ER4XRs in the mail today, will post comparisons with the F4100s later

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #9,667 of 19,253
Alright, here are some comparisons:

ER4XR vs F4100

Sub bass: If ER4XR was a 10, F4100 would be a 7. The impact and extension far surpasses the F4100.

Bass: If ER4XR was a 10, F4100 would be an 8. More impact and depth and dynamics. (Surprising impact with Kraddy - Heart Anthem)

Mids: If F4100 was a 10, ER4XR would be a 9. The F4100s have a little extra smoothness/full sounding mids, which make them a bit more creamy.

Highs: If ER4XR was a 10, F4100 would be a 9. Both quite sparkly, but ER4XR has that extra sparkle.

Detail: If ER4XR was a 10, F4100 would be a 8-9. The etymotics have better detail all around, but the F4100s seem to have excellent mids detail.

Soundstage: About the same, F4100 a bit more 3D but ER4XR a bit more wide.

Fit and Comfort: Etymotics
Isolation: F4100 with foamies was better than Etys with silicon (as expected), couldn't get those gigantic Ety foam tips to fit. They do feel comfortable though in the hand.

I did notice, the Etymotics made the F4100s sound a bit artificial in some songs. The F4100s have a more mid centric soundx while the Ear5XRs have a more comprehensive sound, pretty much identical to the frequency plot.

Overall, I'd give the edge to the etymotics, their performance scales a bit better with high quality files, the detail really is quite the experience. The F4100s have great mids though, easily their best aspect.

Basically, take the F4100s, scale the mids back ever so slightly, boost the sub bass, and add more detail everywhere and more trebly sparkle and youbhave the ER4XRs.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #9,668 of 19,253
Interesting comparison, especially for me as I am owning the F4100 and considering the XR...
But I just ordered a new cable for the F4100 to fight the microphonics of the stock cable.

The good thing with Etymotics is that you don't have to rush the deicision before a new model comes out....

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #9,669 of 19,253
Interesting comparison, especially for me as I am owning the F4100 and considering the XR...
But I just ordered a new cable for the F4100 to fight the microphonics of the stock cable.

The good thing with Etymotics is that you don't have to rush the deicision before a new model comes out....

Ah, that should be interesting, I have never done cable tests in my life, curious if they make a difference. If you got any questions about more comparisons or similar I'd be glad to help.

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #9,670 of 19,253
I actually do not believe much in cable sound. But the microphonics of the F4100 when worn down is simply an insult to customers, so I want to improve that as I mostly use my IEMs on the go. It's a relatively cheap cable so it is worth to give it a try!

Lucky Null Audio is one of the few companies offering ATH-CK100Pro-connector (right angled MMCX) as one of their standard choices.

I tried the SR and XR recently (but briefly only) - loved the XR actually and believe I get myself a pair for Christmas... 

Just need somebody to buy my Heaven V and F4100 first.....

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #9,671 of 19,253
UPDATE:

So I just looked at the specs again, and saw the ER4XRs with 98db sensitivity. I thought, why not try these amped?

Makes a world of difference. The soundstage transitions from being wide and relatively flat to a 3D experience, still retaining that width. I would say, amped, it improves the sound by about 40% in my opinion, spectacular. I think the amp brought the wow effect, these sound incredible now. Excellent. The F4100s don't benefit quite as much from amping since they are already at 106db sensivity.

With the amp, the ER4XR mids surpass the F4100s. Same energy, but the extra detail seems like it removes a veil the F4100s had, even though the F4100s are clear in their own respect.

@Bart Good luck! You definitely won't regret it haha.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #9,672 of 19,253
UPDATE:

So I just looked at the specs again, and saw the ER4XRs with 98db sensitivity. I thought, why not try these amped?

Makes a world of difference. The soundstage transitions from being wide and relatively flat to a 3D experience, still retaining that width. I would say, amped, it improves the sound by about 40% in my opinion, spectacular. I think the amp brought the wow effect, these sound incredible now. Excellent. The F4100s don't benefit quite as much from amping since they are already at 106db sensivity.

With the amp, the ER4XR mids surpass the F4100s. Same energy, but the extra detail seems like it removes a veil the F4100s had, even though the F4100s are clear in their own respect.

@Bart Good luck! You definitely won't regret it haha.

Surely it massively depends on both your original source device and the amp you use as to whether you will get any improvements in SQ?

Just saying :)

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #9,673 of 19,253
probably 106db/mw on the F4100(can't find anywhere with clear enough spec nomenclature so I assume default usual stuff).
er4sr is 98db @ 0.1V  which is in fact close to 104.5db with 1mw if I didn't fail my math.
basically about the same announced specs at 1khz at least, 42ohm instead of 45 and less than 2db variations in sensitivity. so maybe, just maybe the cause for audible differences comes from elsewhere.
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #9,674 of 19,253
Perhaps I am just crazy...

Rechecked it to make sure I didn't totally lose my mind, the amp definitely make it significantly better.

@CraftyClown
Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear enough. For my tests, both before and after, the same source was used, a samsung galaxy S5. The amp was also the same, a FiiO A3. If the source and amp were the same before and after, then that would mean the headphone specs themselves are the only factors affecting the sound. The test was done unamped (no FiiO A3) and amped (with FiiO A3), and before and after, the ER4XRs were significantly better, whereas the F4100s were not. As a qualitative measure, I guessed the ER4XRs were about 40% better, while I would rate the F4100s 10% better (with the amp that is).

Though it is true, obviously if you took a High-Tier player and used it with a $20 amp it would sound like bacon grease. But in my case, average outpjt + good amp = better sound.

@castleofargh
Alright, sensitivity always confused me, but it seems like you don't have enough information for that conclusion. I would be interested in the formula you used, but ER4XRs state the sensitivity at 100 mV (98db), 104db at 200 mV, whereas the F4100s state it at 106 (conveniently no information given). I have no idea of industry standards, but either your calculations are missing some information or are not accurate for comparison (due to the F4100s having vague description) or 1.5 db/mW and 3 ohms impedance makes a significant difference. I have no idea on how output influences sound either, I would be interested in hearing your experienced ideas on what could cause this effect.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #9,675 of 19,253
I believe that is the general consensus, yes. I don't think anyone here has thought the er4s was better than the er4sr. Some may find them similar with slight differences in sound, but generally i think people find the sr treble more revealing and the bass more disinct from what I've been reading.
I have no problem, but i like ear guides like on the pfe :) i keep meaning to try them on my er4sr, but i always forget, because I don't even find it necessary to wear over ear myself...
I'd say that is the er4xr. I don't see any reason they'd release another er4pr since the p suffered from decreased treble accuracy to gain sensitivity. The er4xr has the sensitivity with none of the treble loss and a bit more bass, which most people felt the er4p had a bit more of. :)
I agree completely.

The ER 4PT lacks treble accuracy? Does the S-adaptor correct this? Furthermore, can the S adaptor be used with a clip+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back