If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 23, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #9,406 of 19,256
The sr should at least be "noticeably" louder than the er4s on any device. Amp'd or unamp'd.

Both my sr and xr go a good percentage louder than my er4s when i compare volumes.

I know that the XR is more bassy, but just how much more bass than the s/sr does it have? If you have it and could compare it to the HF1/3/5 it'd be even better for me :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #9,407 of 19,256
  Just unboxed the SRs &, as a longtime Ety user, I'm simply in love. There's something totally classic about the older style ER4, but these things feel like they're just in a different league build wise. I am a bit concerned about the mmcx connector & the possibility of that 'key' wearing out over time since my natural instinct is to twist the earphones a bit by the strain reliefs when inserting them, but I trust Ety will take care of me if that happens.

I usually don't buy brand new models due to the fact that there tend to be more bugs/kinks with them, but Etymotic is one of the few companies I trust. :)

Just wanted to reiterate what was said above. Even though I had a few problems with my first pair of ER4SRs and was considering returning them, Rick from Ety was extremely quick to address my issue & they went out of their way (and I'm sure deviated from normal warranty claim procedure) to make sure I'd have a new pair of working ER4SRs in time for my flight next week. Needless to say, I'll be sticking w/ the ER4SR.

Truly excellent service. :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #9,409 of 19,256
The sr should at least be "noticeably" louder than the er4s on any device. Amp'd or unamp'd.

Both my sr and xr go a good percentage louder than my er4s when i compare volumes.

I know that the XR is more bassy, but just how much more bass than the s/sr does it have? If you have it and could compare it to the HF1/3/5 it'd be even better for me :)

This is a very difficult question to answer, because many people have different opinions on the sound. However, I would say that the XR has enough additional bass that the entire sound has a sort of fullness to it that I believe for most people will make it sound much more like a speaker. I have to be very clear, I absolutely love the XR. It is practically tied with the SR as my favorite earphone of all time. In fact, I've been listening to it exclusively lately.

While the SR has little bit more transparency to allow you to hear into the music more deeply, the XR provides that extra body that really adds to the sense of weight and realism of the body of an instrument. The challenge is that some people find this improves the realism. However, some people find that it is just an attempt to fix a problem that you can't fix with an earphone, that is, adding additional bass to mimic a speaker.

It is my honest opinion that the additional bass does help in some way to mimic a real speaker, but at the same time loses a bit of transparency and clarity and depth. So in that regard, I would almost call them equal. They are both better in different ways.

So how much more bass is there? I would say that the low-end of the ER4S or the SR to most people sounds a little bit lacking. It is as though the sound is thin. I believe the XR fixes that issue. So I would say there is enough additional bass to make a difference, but compared to most other earphones the difference between bass is not very great. It is like having a little bit more to slightly improve things, but not enough more that it really changes the sound of the earphone drastically.

It's a very hard thing to describe with words. I would just say that it has a slight bit of extra weight to the overall sound making things sound a little bit more full.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #9,411 of 19,256

Just make myself a 4S adapter with MMCX connector to go with my Linum BaX cable.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #9,414 of 19,256
  Now I know why it was best to go with standard 2pin for my Linum Bax...

Been there, done that
wink.gif

LinumER4-1.jpg

LinumER4-2.jpg

LinumER4-3.jpg

LinumER4-4.jpg

The Linum cable adapters turn out to be much difficult to build than expected. My plan to build a 4B version totally didn't work out and I end up only able to build a 4S version. Still, it is not easy in anyway.

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #9,416 of 19,256
I'll have to see how they hold up compared to my er4s, but i love the new cables. They are sleek, compact, and so far seem durable. There is a bit of play, but I'm guessing that is just part of being removeable. I'm used to fixed cables... Unless it fails prematurely of a fault not my own, i think the cables are perfect, because if i break it, i can buy a new cable and not a new earphone.

The clip needs some work, and the etymotic center portion is unnecessary and takes a bit away from convenience when wrapping the cable. But those are minor points that were already issues in the er4s, and they are both improved (smaller center piece and easier still to wrap).

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #9,417 of 19,256
I'll have to see how they hold up compared to my er4s, but i love the new cables. They are sleek, compact, and so far seem durable. There is a bit of play, but I'm guessing that is just part of being removeable. I'm used to fixed cables... Unless it fails prematurely of a fault not my own, i think the cables are perfect, because if i break it, i can buy a new cable and not a new earphone.

The clip needs some work, and the etymotic center portion is unnecessary and takes a bit away from convenience when wrapping the cable. But those are minor points that were already issues in the er4s, and they are both improved (smaller center piece and easier still to wrap).

My cable died on me a few weeks ago. It's probably something that could be fixed if I had soldering skills. I can probably send it to someone to get it re-terminated if needed. I contacted Etymotic and they have a replacement cable for me coming Monday. This is a big reason why I went with Etymotic and not a different company. I have had nothing but good thing to say about their customer service. I do wish their replacement cables were available for purchase so I can buy a spare in case this ever happens again. The cables are very nice and this is much better than having to send them in to get them fixed.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #9,419 of 19,256
Frankly, my ER4s cables weathered quite well until a riding lawnmower blade got ahold of them :) Sounds like the plastic detent/stop is just needing fortification.

Many wanted to convert their 4s to 4p was really the main reason I recall. More of issue to allow going mobile easier without an amp.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #9,420 of 19,256

I too love the new cables. They dont feel quite as heavy-duty as the older ER4S cable, but they seem durable enough & the fact that they're so much lighter (as well as the fact that the strain reliefs dont jet out as much) makes it soooo much easier to just pop in w/ the wire routed over the ear, which I always prefer to wearing cable down. For me, it pretty much eliminates the microphonics & makes the cable clip pretty much unnecessary 99% of the time. With the older ER4, I pretty much always had to have the cable clip attached.

I'm just hoping the mmcx connectors hold up, as my other earpiece (the one w/o the faulty connector key) is now starting to develop some play the more I use them. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back