If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #9,437 of 19,249
  So, a common MMCX cable will fit SR/XR right?

I don't think so, as the MMCX connector is seated rather deeply into the earpiece. Also, most MMCX connectors aren't 90 degree angled.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #9,438 of 19,249

I don't think so, as the MMCX connector is seated rather deeply into the earpiece. Also, most MMCX connectors aren't 90 degree angled.

Yeah, it's kind of hit or miss. Some cable connectors don't protrude out enough past the strain-relief/plastic part to be able to lock into the recessed socket. I tried my Westone mmcx cable from my dead UM Pro 30 & they couldn't connect.

That being said, I'm sure there are some out there that will work flawlessly. I'd love to have one that's reminiscent of the old blue/red ER4S cable connectors.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #9,439 of 19,249

It depends. My current custom cable with standard mmcx connectors at 45 degrees (not 90, original Ety connectors aren't 90 either) works absolutelly fine. Silver Dragon with weston type straight mmcx connectors also works fine but with Forza hybrid cable the connection did not work that well -  I was losing the signal from time to time. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #9,440 of 19,249
 I switch back from the SR/XR to the PT from time to time and I don't feel the PT is that far apart from the newer models. At times they even sound more musical than the latter (richer mids, more weight, smoothness).

Hmm.  Those are big words.  
biggrin.gif
  I wonder if anyone else has switched back and forth between the PT and the new models and agrees?

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #9,441 of 19,249

Just be really careful as to who you're buying the PTs from on Amazon. The ones that are going for $229 are all from unauthorized sellers (I checked with Etymotic.) Even though they're fulfilled by Amazon, you warranty is likely going to be void if you buy from one of them. The rep I spoke to w/ Etymotic said that the only 3rd party dealers on Amazon that are authorized Ety dealers are Quantum Wireless & Wired for less.

All others are unauthorized.

When in doubt, it never hurts to email us at customer-service@etymotic.com (or me at r_carlson@etymotic.com) if you see a questionable reseller on Amazon or ebay. It can be the wild west out there in terms of who's authorized and who isn't.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #9,442 of 19,249

Hmm.  Those are big words.  
biggrin.gif
  I wonder if anyone else has switched back and forth between the PT and the new models and agrees?

Depends on whether he's comparing the PT as is, or PT w/ S adapter. The standard PT is of course going to sound smoother since the treble isn't quite as extended as the 4S or 4SR. I've compared the 4P, 4S and 4SR and I really wouldn't consider the 4P 'fuller,' just not quite as detailed.

It's all about perception though. I'm also a bit curious as to what his source is. While the SR is definitely easier to drive than the 4S, they're still not the most sensitive IEM's I've run across, and it seems like they're a bit more perceptive to proper amping than the standard ER4P (non 'S'.)

If I'm not mistaken, the ER4P(PT) is rated @ 27 ohms, while the SR/XR is around 45 ohms.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #9,443 of 19,249
I have had a pair of er4p/s for many years. I just saw that Etymotic had a new set out. While I would like to get some of the newer phones, I think i will stick with the ones I have. Very durable and they sound great with my Fiio X7 and the AM5 amp. Etymotic has great customer service and they have a customer for life.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #9,444 of 19,249
  I have had a pair of er4p/s for many years. I just saw that Etymotic had a new set out. While I would like to get some of the newer phones, I think i will stick with the ones I have. Very durable and they sound great with my Fiio X7 and the AM5 amp. Etymotic has great customer service and they have a customer for life.

Nice PRS in your Avatar.  CU24?

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9,446 of 19,249
EtyDave and/or others, do you guys see any advantage w/ packing silica gel packets of some sort (the ones you're not supposed to eat :) ) in the carrying case for the new ER4SR/XR? I've noticed several custom IEM manufacturers are doing it, and Sennheiser does it w/ the IE80s, I'm assuming to lessen the chances of sweat/moisture damaging the earphones.

Just wondering if anyone does this w/ their etys? The new carrying case is easily roomy enough to carry a couple. Would there be any negative consequences?

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #9,447 of 19,249
Sep 28, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #9,448 of 19,249
  EtyDave and/or others, do you guys see any advantage w/ packing silica gel packets of some sort (the ones you're not supposed to eat :) ) in the carrying case for the new ER4SR/XR? I've noticed several custom IEM manufacturers are doing it, and Sennheiser does it w/ the IE80s, I'm assuming to lessen the chances of sweat/moisture damaging the earphones.

Just wondering if anyone does this w/ their etys? The new carrying case is easily roomy enough to carry a couple. Would there be any negative consequences?

I can't imagine there being any negative consequences (unless, of course, you eat the silica gel).

If the earphone has already been exposed to moisture (dropped in water, etc) you probably would get more of an effect by putting the earphone in a sealed container with a desiccant.  The case is air tight, so the effect would likely be minimized unless you had a secondary plastic bag or something like that in there.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #9,449 of 19,249
Thanks Dave! It's a beauty to look at and play. I love it so much I haven't considered getting another one.

Do you sell the cases for the new phones separately? The pouch that I store my ER4-S's in is very tight especially with the adapter and it contorts the shape of the ear tips! I would love to have some more room for them if possible.

Sep 28, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #9,450 of 19,249
  Thanks Dave! It's a beauty to look at and play. I love it so much I haven't considered getting another one.

Do you sell the cases for the new phones separately? The pouch that I store my ER4-S's in is very tight especially with the adapter and it contorts the shape of the ear tips! I would love to have some more room for them if possible.

I did notice that they sell this case back before I bought the SRs. Looks like it might be around the same size as the one w/ the new earphones if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER38-65D-Earphone-Zippered/dp/B009OWPG36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475094190&sr=8-1&keywords=etymotic+case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back