If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #9,347 of 19,249
guys my triple flange tips have the shape of my ear canal, is that normal?

If you use them a lot they can mold to the shape of your ear a bit yes. Mine crease and bend after a while and then fold over. So they don't last as long for me.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #9,350 of 19,249
Hi everyone!
I made my ER4XR more transparent! I tried white and brown (knowles) filters and they sound too bright. I used white plastic dampers as a base to add more damper, while browns have a metal body and unusable with new ER4. I made additional filters using viscose wipes for epilation (LOOOL! They are just much more solid than other types), cutted them to 2mm round pieces and added to the filter. I added 2 pcs per tube, but someone probably need to add less or more, depends on wipes solidity.
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giyn.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giyk.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giym.jpg

The sound is very similar to green filters in overall, but more transparent. Now I love my ER4XR much more than when got them :)

This is the wrong thread, but any chance you could help me figure out how to make some filters for my meelctronics a151's?

Sep 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #9,351 of 19,249
Hi all,
i was wondering if last production runs of ER4PT or ER4S were made with metal bodies or metal bodies are only for ER4XR/SR?

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #9,352 of 19,249
For those who recently purchased the ER4SR or ER4XR, which TIPS do you prefer (Silicon Tri-Flange or Foam)?  

Is there any sonic differences in using one over the other?

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #9,353 of 19,249
  For those who recently purchased the ER4SR or ER4XR, which TIPS do you prefer (Silicon Tri-Flange or Foam)?  

Thanks!

You really just need to try. FOr me foams were always better because I could not get used to silicons.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #9,354 of 19,249

Thanks!

Foam tips. Yes, to me there is a difference. With foam tips the SR sounds more open with better highs extenion.
This is what I hear with my ears. 

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,355 of 19,249
I get the best seal consistently with the ety med foam. And they are more comfortable which lets me wear the deeply longer. I belive they are both very close in response if fit correctly. The silicon is just tougher in the ear for me. I think the main difference will be in upper treble response. Both might vary slightly from each other but only very slightly. Due to fit and depth i find the triple flange are usually brighter to me until i wet them and get them very deep and tight but then they aren't comfortable. But both are better than all other tips like comply to me.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #9,356 of 19,249
Has anyone ever come across measurements of a Shure-black-foam-equipped-ER4?

They seem give a touch more warmth and body to the sound, I'd be very interested in reading facts about that combination vs Ety stock tips.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #9,357 of 19,249

Thanks!

The foam tips included with the ER4SR/XR are completely unlistenable for me personally. They are simply much too thick for my ears, preventing me from inserting them deep enough into my ear. As a result, they end up sounding extremely sibilant, with a spike in their response around the 7-8 kHz region. Neither of the included triple flanges exhibit this.

But then again, the clear triple flanges irritate my ears, and the stock frost triple flanges are too small for me. So I don't really get all that great of an experience from any of the included tips. 
confused_face.gif
 Oh well.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #9,358 of 19,249
The foam tips included with the ER4SR/XR are completely unlistenable for me personally. They are simply much too thick for my ears, preventing me from inserting them deep enough into my ear. As a result, they end up sounding extremely sibilant, with a spike in their response around the 7-8 kHz region. Neither of the included triple flanges exhibit this.

But then again, the clear triple flanges irritate my ears, and the stock frost triple flanges are too small for me. So I don't really get all that great of an experience from any of the included tips. :confused_face:  Oh well.

You can try the Shure white triple flange tips and cut off the bottom stem, which makes them essentially a medium ety triple flange. Also the feel is different. None of the triple flange tips bother me, so your comfort may vary, but I'd try the triple flange shure's and cut off the bottom stem so it looks like ety's. Size may be just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back