If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #9,331 of 19,246
Hey, so how would a HD650/600 fan like the ER4XR or SR? Would they have similar treble clarity? I have the Klipsch X10, and they kind of suffer from bad treble extension, I'm hoping the ER4 series can fix that. 

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #9,334 of 19,246
Hey, so how would a HD650/600 fan like the ER4XR or SR? Would they have similar treble clarity? I have the Klipsch X10, and they kind of suffer from bad treble extension, I'm hoping the ER4 series can fix that. 

I love the hd600, and personally I'd take the er4sr/xr over them. However, i personally find them both the most reference in their class and form factor. In that regard "i" consider the er4 an in ear alternative to the hd600.

I'd have to say the er4xr is probably closer to the hd600 in overall tone.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #9,335 of 19,246
That is why I have x20i. Base of the 10 plus more extended treble.

I tried the X20i for 2 weeks, sounded distorted and strange, but perhaps I got a defective pair. I honestly hope I did because IEMs should not sound like that for $549.

I love the hd600, and personally I'd take the er4sr/xr over them. However, i personally find them both the most reference in their class and form factor. In that regard "i" consider the er4 an in ear alternative to the hd600.

That's really good to hear, because I absolutely love the HD650s. I use the Sonarworks software with them and they now have a great flat response, but now I want that same sound in iem form, so ER4XR may be perfect.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #9,336 of 19,246

I tried the X20i for 2 weeks, sounded distorted and strange, but perhaps I got a defective pair. I honestly hope I did because IEMs should not sound like that for $549.

That's really good to hear, because I absolutely love the HD650s. I use the Sonarworks software with them and they now have a great flat response, but now I want that same sound in iem form, so ER4XR may be perfect.

first IMO thinking about getting the sound of a fullsize open headphone with a closed IEM is a mistake. learn what you like as closed IEM instead of trying to get the sound of a headphone.
secondly, the ER4 even faced with a well EQed hd650 has audibly more trebles(a little too much for my ears, but that's subjective).

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #9,337 of 19,246

There had to be an issue then since the few real reviews support my observations of a great reference set. I'm seriously concerned that there will be little improvement with the Andromeda I'm waiting on being delivered. Having used the ER4s for so long, and the ER4PT for a little bit, I felt the x20i really were more musical and lost nothing. The flatness of the ER4 was a detriment to many genre. The same thing you hear about the EtherC and hd800, more analytical. A month later the er4xr came out and I would have been all over it if not liking the x20i that also doubled well on the go with the phone.

However, if your x20i were not defective I'm concerned about you success with the ety. When putting the er4PT,Klipsch has X5(<-pretty much like the ER4 as well ) and the x20i they all were all similar but the x20i had more bottom end meat and a blended but recessed treble extension. SE846 stock filter sound like they have a blown tweeter in comparison to all of the above.

That makes me worry if being accustomed to the lower treble of x10 is the issue and you might have issues with all of the above. Treble extension on the HD580 can seem recessed as well but I always felt they and the ER4 were complementary and were the dream team for longest time.

You might try the er4xr and x12

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,338 of 19,246
Hi everyone!
I made my ER4XR more transparent! I tried white and brown (knowles) filters and they sound too bright. I used white plastic dampers as a base to add more damper, while browns have a metal body and unusable with new ER4. I made additional filters using viscose wipes for epilation (LOOOL! They are just much more solid than other types), cutted them to 2mm round pieces and added to the filter. I added 2 pcs per tube, but someone probably need to add less or more, depends on wipes solidity.
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giyn.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giyk.jpg
http://funkyimg.com/i/2giym.jpg

The sound is very similar to green filters in overall, but more transparent. Now I love my ER4XR much more than when got them :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #9,339 of 19,246

first IMO thinking about getting the sound of a fullsize open headphone with a closed IEM is a mistake. learn what you like as closed IEM instead of trying to get the sound of a headphone.
secondly, the ER4 even faced with a well EQed hd650 has audibly more trebles(a little too much for my ears, but that's subjective).

I agree. I wouldn't expect the er4xr to sound "just like" the hd600.

However, as i said, i consider them both the most reference neutrality in their perspective classes and form factors. So in that regard they are similar. They are different in some ways, but more alike than any other phones, as they both are very revealing and have the proper amounts of bass, mids, and treble relative to other phones. Neither are perfect. But if i could only have one phone of each type it would be a tie between the er4sr/xr and the srh-940/hd600. They all have the most accurate overall tone and smooth responses with no obviously detrimental spikes/dips.

If someone told me they specifically wanted an hd600/650 in an earphone i would at least say this, the er4xr is the only earphone I'd ever consider a replacement. If someone could show me a closer representation in an earphone I'd be using it.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #9,340 of 19,246
I tried the X20i for 2 weeks, sounded distorted and strange, but perhaps I got a defective pair.

That exactly matches my experience with the X20i. It didn't even sound as good as my X11i :frowning2: I may also have received a defective pair, so I won't comment on that further.

Compared with the X11i, the ER4S or even ER4P certainly has the better treble, but the X11i has a sub-bass which is the most impressive I've heard from a single BA driver. I haven't yet compared the X11i to the new ER4XR, but I have one of those on order... :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #9,341 of 19,246
Hi everyone!
I made my ER4XR more transparent! I tried white and brown (knowles) filters and they sound too bright. I used white plastic dampers as a base to add more damper, while browns have a metal body and unusable with new ER4. I made additional filters using viscose wipes for epilation (LOOOL! They are just much more solid than other types), cutted them to 2mm round pieces and added to the filter. I added 2 pcs per tube, but someone probably need to add less or more, depends on wipes solidity.

The sound is very similar to green filters in overall, but more transparent. Now I love my ER4XR much more than when got them :)

Where did you get the plastic Knowles dampers? I think the ones sold on mouser.com are all metal-bodied and wouldn't fit into the ER4XR/SR without a very big struggle!?

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #9,342 of 19,246

Hi everyone!

The sound is very similar to green filters in overall, but more transparent. Now I love my ER4XR much more than when got them
smily_headphones1.gif

Where did you get the plastic Knowles dampers? I think the ones sold on mouser.com are all metal-bodied and wouldn't fit into the ER4XR/SR without a very big struggle!?

they're the filters sold by etymotic.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,343 of 19,246
Maybe you two are really cranking it then? They have measured to show a good deal of THD in the crossover region at loud volumes ( sort of where the advantage of the multiple drivers per range helps) but wonder if the new transmission line style of crossover is the culprit

I'll have a test but if that is the issue I know the XR would be a good one to try.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #9,344 of 19,246

I used the white Ety filters. The brown Knowles was filed using a nail file but they don't fit at full length and I prefered the white to add a handmade dampers.

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #9,345 of 19,246

​I'm a bit late with this response, but I moved up from a Klipsch X10 to the Etymotic ER4S (so not the SR/XR, but an older ER4). If you thought the X10 didn't have enough treble (which I also thought as well) then the ER4 series may very well be right up your alley. The X10 really does sound somewhat muffled compared to the ER4S. And I'd assume the ER4SR and ER4XR would be at least just as better than the X10, if not better.

I personally like my ER4S much better than my X10 - hence why I sold the latter after buying the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back