If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 5, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #9,301 of 19,246

ER4XR mini-review (the stuff that interests me)

Why is Head-Fi so full of positive reviews? I guess because we like to write about the stuff that we like, and I really like the ER4XR! So where do we start? How about the ear tips?

Ear tips

It can’t be emphasised enough. The more we can make the ER4XR isolate the better the sound it will yield. It’s absolutely crucial to achieve a perfect seal!

I’ve tried all the included ear tips and the ones I like the best are the included foam tips (two pairs R38-14F). They’re easy to insert (with a bit of practice), comfortable, and have the best isolation.

The included 3-flange ear tips (medium and large) aren’t bad either, but they make my ear canals itch and I believe the isolation is a tad less compared to the foam tips, so for now I’ll pass.

I’ve also tried the Comply Foam P-series. They’re almost as good as Ety’s but I’d expect the P-series to last longer. The P-Series is a bit taller than Ety’s and the core is a bit too soft so it tends to bend when being fitted onto the stem of the earphone. Not a big deal, but there is room for improvement of the core if you ask me.

The Comply Foam T-100 tips are very comfortable but just don’t isolate well enough for my needs. That actually surprised me a bit as they’re recommended by Comply Foam for the other ER4s. I tried the medium size and maybe they’re a bit too small for my ear canals, or maybe they just aren’t tall enough!? Until I’ve tried a larger size I can’t recommend them.

Overall, the ER4XR phones are easy to insert and – with the right tips – extremely isolating as long as you’re OK with the deep insert approach to earphones. By easy to insert I mean you don’t have to spend weeks to figure out which tips sound the best, how deeply and in what angle to insert them. With the ER4 design you simply “go all the way” and you’re done! Very convenient if you ask me!

Isolation

Is there any other IEM having better isolation than the ER4XR/SR? I haven’t researched it but I doubt it! With a pair of good foam tips – either Ety’s own or the P-100s – the ear drums practically become unresponsive. Until the music arrives it’s an enormously muffled world. I really appreciate this feature of the ER4XR as it enables me to focus on the music at very safe volume levels even in very noisy environments. Although for safety reasons I’d never wear them when out and about, except when seated while commuting.

Cable

The cable is definitely an improvement compared to my previous ER4; the ER4PT. The PT cable felt thick, stiff and unruly. The ER4XR cable, being softer and slightly thinner (I guess?), is a lot easier to handle and I find it very convenient that it’s a bit longer than most other IEM cables. It enables me to fully lean back in my office chair while connected to my desktop amp (O2).

The braided cables above the Y-split are unfortunately still very noisy. However, this time around they can be worn more easily over the ears and that basically eliminates all microphonics. I can also report that the cable chinch works perfectly which certainly hasn’t been the case with many of the other IEMs I’ve had. So, thumbs up for the new cable design!

Phones and Accessories

Etymotic seem to be dead serious about their QC, and I just love it! The ER4XR is delivered with a signed (yes, a genuine ink signature) “performance certificate” with measurement graphs for each individual phone having its own individual serial number matching the serial numbers on the phones delivered. How more serious can you get, and are there any other manufacturers delivering their IEMs with a signed “performance certificate”? I doubt it!

Also, the phones are now made of metal and not plastic. Not that I think that it matters much but it lends itself better to the feeling of overall quality. Nice touch!

I also appreciate the assortment of various ear tips and the fact that it’s delivered with a metal tool for changing the filters. The zippered storage case feels really nice and can, except for all the accessories, also harbour at least one other pair of IEMs. I like it a lot and it looks and feels as serious as the rest of the package.

Finally, Etymotic have a reputation of outstanding customer service and I can second that first hand.

Sound

To these ears the ER4XR bass is exquisitely implemented. If I didn’t know any better I’d take it for neutral. There is just no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision between the ER4SR and the ER4XR! For more about why I picked the ER4XR over the ER4SR please click here.

The most tangible sound feature of the ER4XR must be its transparency though. The contrast between the completely muffled world - that the outstanding isolation provides - and the transparency and naturalness of the sound is staggering. It gives the brain the impression it could hear an external needle fall on the floor. It’s such an emotional paradox as my intellect tells me my hearing is “blind as a bat” to external sounds.

Over the years I’ve come to notice how people claim that their latest and greatest IEM have the ability to project details that they’ve never even noticed before. What took me some time to figure out is that it’s actually true, and for the (not so) obvious reason that the various frequencies of basically all IEMs are tuned differently. FR is everything, right?

In a sense, this “new details retrieval effect” fails to come with the ER4XR. If anything – especially if you’re used to IEMs tuned for an “exciting” FR – the ER4XR could even appear to subtract treble and bass details. The reason, of course, is that the ER4XR is perfectly neutral (except for the much needed tad of bass elevation). And since our hearing is less sensitive to sounds in the lower and higher frequencies it naturally follows that details in the bass and treble is a bit harder to detect with the ER4XR.

For example, with one of my favourite IEMs, the DUNU-DN2000J, I notice details that simply go unnoticed with the ER4XR. In this sense the DN2000J is to the ears what a magnifier is to the eyes. So, is this a good or a bad thing? Well, that mostly depends on your preferences and a myriad of other parameters. The DN2000J, being v-shaped (done with exceptional sure instinct) provides me with a sense of super hearing, and with the right recording can be extremely satisfying. The price paid in the long run is a bit of treble fatigue (which leads to tensions), a somewhat subdued or distant mid-range, and an overall less natural sound than the ER4XR. However, with its speedy titanium treated dynamic bass driver and its elevated BA treble the DN2000J can, with the right recording, give me a very full, extremely detailed, extremely resolving, and spacious sound image in a way the ER4XR can’t. If you're interested I made a few more comparisons between the ER4XR and the DN2000J here.

The ER4XR on the other hand is more or less fatigue free while still being perfectly transparent. It feels like a small miracle and has the pleasant side effect of making me relaxed and thus more open to the many fine details and facets of the music (bass and treble included). The mid-range has perfect presence and timbre which make voices and solo instruments (for example in a violin concerto) sound absolutely superb. As a matter of fact, mid-range wise I haven’t heard any other IEM perform better (timbre, presence, detail, resolution, transparency, and what not). The mid-range appears to be - for lack of a better word – more or less perfect.

So, what about the ER4XR treble and bass? Well, it’s probably more or less perfect too but it doesn’t provide the most “exciting” bass and treble sound I’ve ever heard. However, the ER4XR doesn’t aspire to provide “exciting” sound but neutral sound, and as far as I can tell that's exactly what it does.

I’d say that for any acoustic music (classical, jazz, etc.) the ER4XR is probably the obvious choice. For all other music it’s more open. Some recordings do benefit from a more exciting tuning whereas others don't.

Finally

I’m going to hold on to my ER4XR! Overall it’s definitely one of the best, in a sense perhaps in even the best IEM I’ve heard. Plus, I feel I need a reference IEM for reference purposes, and I know that for those days when nothing is going to satisfy me, the ER4XR will at least sound “clean” (devoid of - what that particular day feels like - failed ambitions to create “exciting” sound).

If you’re interested, click here for a list of other IEMs I own or have previously owned.

Thanks for reading

Superbly articulated! One of the best reviews I have read here!! Just keep writing! :)

I myself am saving up to get ER4SR but after reading your review and my recent tryst with hyrbrids and "fun sound" IEMs, I'm wondering if I should get ERXR. I should be deciding in a month or two. (need two more pay-cheques, 3rd world problems you see! :) ) As you said, I very well intend to keep this is a reference pair if not reach out to them every morning before stepping out. I had HF5 and I've never been able to get that same satisfaction until today after HF5 has fallen apart. Hope this will be the cure.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #9,302 of 19,246

Sorry Max, it took me longer to get to it than I thought.

I don't think I'm going to be getting any phone calls to do catalog shoots anytime soon, but here's a quick snap of four of our earphones.  From left to right (and bottom to top), they are MK5 - MC5 - HF5 - ER4.

As you can see, the HF5 got a bit dirty in the process.  :wink:

thank you very much for taking your time in order to answer my question
smile.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #9,303 of 19,246

Sorry Max, it took me longer to get to it than I thought.

I don't think I'm going to be getting any phone calls to do catalog shoots anytime soon, but here's a quick snap of four of our earphones.  From left to right (and bottom to top), they are MK5 - MC5 - HF5 - ER4.

As you can see, the HF5 got a bit dirty in the process.  :wink:

Hello,

thanks for nice comparison. Is the EK-5 the same size as the MK-5 or smaller?

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #9,304 of 19,246
Quick question on the old school variants guys. I have the ER-4P.

Is the ER-4B basically a neutral presentation of the source audio without any modification?

I'm not sure on the difference (albeit I'm enjoying experimenting with the combos of filters and so forth - I sometimes enjoy the S adapter, I sometimes add the red filters, and it makes one set of monitors endlessly fun - I've now jettisoned every other set that I own and have two pairs of these with the various options).

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #9,305 of 19,246
The 4S (as the site says) "were designed to compensate for the high frequency emphasis in all CD recordings, in order to provide accurate sound reproduction."  In practice what results is a neutral presentation of a commercial recording.  The 4B is built without that compensation, and has a lot of high-frequency emphasis with normal recordings.

I used to have a 4B, and in a way it was pretty trippy.  It felt like I could hear every micro-detail: each tine of the brush hitting the drumhead, each bean inside the maracas. Cooool.  But for me that really got in the way of enjoying the music as music, so I sent it in to be converted to a 4S.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #9,306 of 19,246
  The 4S (as the site says) "were designed to compensate for the high frequency emphasis in all CD recordings, in order to provide accurate sound reproduction."  In practice what results is a neutral presentation of a commercial recording.  The 4B is built without that compensation, and has a lot of high-frequency emphasis with normal recordings.

I used to have a 4B, and in a way it was pretty trippy.  It felt like I could hear every micro-detail: each tine of the brush hitting the drumhead, each bean inside the maracas. Cooool.  But for me that really got in the way of enjoying the music as music, so I sent it in to be converted to a 4S.

Can you make 4s to sound like 4b with EQ?

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #9,309 of 19,246
Re making 4S sound like 4B:  I would imagine it's possible.  Same transducer, and IIRC same filters.  But I never tried it.

Not sure about eq. But the difference between models is actually in the cables. I bought some replacement ones from ClieOS here on the boards. I bought both a "B" and "P", as I have a p to s adapter. Honestly didn't care for the B, and ClieOS was nice enough to explain how to modify the B into an S cable. So that's what I have now.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #9,312 of 19,246
Sep 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #9,313 of 19,246

Hello,

thanks for nice comparison. Is the EK-5 the same size as the MK-5 or smaller?

The EK5 and MK5 are exactly the same size.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #9,314 of 19,246
I'm pretty bad at interpreting graphs and I don't believe they are very representative of the actual sound, but I didn't expect the SR's bass roll off to be steeper than the 4S and 4P.

Nice measurements.

The bass roll off shouldn't be significantly different than the 4S and 4P.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #9,315 of 19,246
I see many variations in those graphs between models that I clearly hear are not represented properly. Such as the difference in treble between s and sr. The 2-3khz is identical on that comparison graph. Not only is it clearly audibly less on the sr, but etydave even said it was closer to the target (the s was a bit extra), and I don't see that at all on that graph. Hmmmm :-o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back